Post by weirdone30 »

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Raven, thank you, PL OK :).

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Alex: nice lively reading. Unfortunately your volume is much too high, and voice distortion has resulted. Do you see that it is touching the top and bottom of the window in places? This is what causes the distortion. Try reducing the microphone volume in Audacity (slider control to the right of the microphone icon at the top of the screen) so that the wave form looks more like this:

To check your own volume you can use our Checker program - see info at http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker. Make sure you download the experimental version - you will find the volume in decibels on the Information tab. For your information, we look for around 89 dB, and your current test measures 100 dB.

Unfortunately, once the voice signal has been cut off ('clipping') in this way, it is not curable. Would you mind re-recording at lower volume, please? All the other tech specs are correct.

I do have a suspicion that perhaps your mic or your computer has some noise-cancelling enabled, which is making your voice rather muffled. If this is so, you may wish to hunt around for the controls and disable the noise suppression/cancelling features. You will likely find that there will be background noise after doing that, but Audacity has noise reduction features which are much gentler on your voice, and these can be used to put it right. I can give you advice on this, if you do find that you have noise-cancelling enabled.

I know of two possibilities:
  1. Your microphone has a noise-cancelling feature
  2. Your soundcard or onboard sound has a noise-cancelling feature.
Whichever it is (if my theory is correct) needs to be turned off.

Your soundcard or onboard sound (e.g. Realtek, SigmaTel, Creative etc) will have a control panel somewhere (probably a speaker icon in your taskbar), and if noise-cancelling is enabled there, you should be able to disable it.

The mic also may have controls, though I don't know what sort of mic you are using. These are likely to be in your computer's control panel under Start | Control Panel | Hardware and Sounds | Sounds | Manage Audio Devices | Recording | Microphone | Properties.

Don't be discouraged! These things only have to be sorted out once, and I love your lively style :).

Ruth
Volfgang

Post by Volfgang »

Correction on sepulcher

: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/apoeemofpassion_lummis_jab.mp3

Duration 1:22
Thank you
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thanks! :D

Ruth
David Richardson

Post by David Richardson »

The universe is made up of stories, not of atoms.
- Muriel Rukeyser

My LibriVox Page Blog The Metamorphosis
weirdone30

Post by weirdone30 »

Thanks Ruth.

I'll try to get on it.

Alex
weirdone30

Post by weirdone30 »

Okay. I rerecorded it, here. Thanks for the checker program. This file has a volume of 90+ decibels. I got that with the lowest input setting. I don't know about the other issues your "suspicions". I'll look into them in the future.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/poeemofpassion_lummis_al.mp3
weirdone30

Post by weirdone30 »

Actually, I hope this doesn't cause confusion, but after I posted that last correction, I fooled around and I figured out how to turn off the noise cancellation you mentioned Ruth. I recorded this other version, (and I cleaned it too). It has a decibel level of 88 which actually makes it a little low, but I hope that's okay.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/rg/poeemofpassion_lummis_al.mp3

Alex
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

David: thank you, PL OK. I think you have the edge over Peter in the sinisterness stakes :lol:.

Alex: Ah, good! Now PL OK. I have taken the liberty of just tweaking a little. I think you probably have quite a hum at one or two single frequencies (probably caused by the spinning hard disk). If you would like to send me a minute of raw recording with a few seconds of noise at the end (upload to my rg folder), I can show you a way of removing the hum, without having to use such high settings of Effect | Noise Removal (I hope).

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank you everyone. This weekly poetry project is now closed. I look forward to welcoming you to the next one ;).

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/a-poe-em-of-passion-by-c-f-lummis/

Thanks everyone for all the fun! :)

Ruth