Hi and thanks for the free books!

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

:lol:

I just found y'all a couple of days ago and have downloaded a few things for an upcoming car trip. Love the site! I'm planning to start repaying the "debt" as soon as I can figure out the techie details of recording.
Last edited by chocoholic on January 16th, 2007, 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laurie Anne
fae

Post by fae »

Welcome chocoholic!

Have a look at our Guides for Listeners & Volunteers in our wiki (link at the top of the page.) If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask :)

Enjoy!
anna

Post by anna »

WELCOME Chocoholic,

Have fun here :D
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Good to have you joining us, Best Username of the Decade!

We'd love to have you recording, so please just ask if there's anything we can help with -- we are chockfull of advice and opinion. :lol: Some of it quite helpful.

Also, though, have you seen the Sneak Preview forum..? Don't be distracted by it being called something else, it's All About our fabulous new up-and-coming offerings! As a bonus, if you're able to sign up to listen to things from there, and are able to note if you hear any repetitions, long gaps, unduly loud cat sneezes, etc ... that *is* helping the site directly. (Prooflistening while driving isn't going to work. If you're not the one driving though ... perfect!) Every file we put out now has a pair of ears much like yours checking it over, and more ears are needed.

Whatever you do, though, ENJOY!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
ceastman

Post by ceastman »

Hi there, and welcome! glad you're enjoying the site. :)

-Catharine
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Cori wrote:Good to have you joining us, Best Username of the Decade!

We'd love to have you recording, so please just ask if there's anything we can help with -- we are chockfull of advice and opinion. :lol: Some of it quite helpful.!
Why, thank you. :)

Quick question -- I did a test recording (a Wordsworth poem) and even before I upload it I can tell that my Southern accent is going to sound... accentuated. As a public service, shall I restrict myself to Southern writers? Or just have at it?

Do most listeners find it distracting to hear, say, Sherlock Holmes read by a very Southern female voice? :lol:
Laurie Anne
Chrisczech

Post by Chrisczech »

It's horses for courses, chocoholic.

As an Englishman, probably not for me, but for many listeners it would be great!
That's why we all have a go at everything. Don't worry about it. In my current project there is a story about "Wyoming Ed" - I don't do a very good American accent - so I don't try!

Just enjoy what you do, and have fun - everyone is welcome!
[url=http://librivox.org/idle_thoughts_of_an_idle_fellow_by_jerome_k_jerome/]Idle Thoughts Of An Idle Fellow[/url] / [url=http://librivox.org/the-triumphs-of-eugene-valmont-by-robert-barr]The Triumphs Of Eugene Valmont[/url]
Cori

Post by Cori »

I'd say "Have at it!"

I lean towards authors or stories which suit my accent and gender ... but frankly, when something tempts, I'm not going to get too precious about it. There's just too much wonderful stuff out there I'd never get to read.

I would say, if you're doing names or locations, it can be handy to get a 'local' opinion (apologies now to the people in Mobile, AL, which I did NOT get right. And Utrecht, come to think of it.) I don't mind an accent at all, right through a recording, but if a Proper Name comes out wrong, that does jolt my ear. But that's just my opinion, too.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Hey Chocoholic, welcome!

For the record, if you ever listen to anything of mine, you'll 'owe' me chocolate! :D

David
kayray

Post by kayray »

We love love love regional accents and dialects! Please don't restrict yourself to Southern writers -- read anything that looks like fun :) Sherlock Holmes read by a Southern woman would be just dandy!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

I'm waiting to hear something from you!
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

earthcalling wrote:For the record, if you ever listen to anything of mine, you'll 'owe' me chocolate! :D
Hmm, seems like that should be the other way around...

Cloud Mountain wrote:I'm waiting to hear something from you!
Working on it! (Technical difficulties including a 3-year-old, TV news in the background, a pitiful little microphone, and the fact that I sound like a dork.)
Laurie Anne
kri

Post by kri »

chocoholic wrote:and the fact that I sound like a dork.)
Now that is subjective. Not many like the sound of their recorded voice, so that's no excuse! :)
soundchest

Post by soundchest »

chocoholic wrote:Technical difficulties including a 3-year-old, TV news in the background, a pitiful little microphone, and the fact that I sound like a dork.)
Hey, me too! All of the above.

I don't let my 3-year-old watch TV too much. She gets hyper and loses her creativity. She's a real dramatic little one when provided with a bit of silence and feedback. Song, dance, play, books; luv it. Hubby likes the TV though, when she lets him hear it, lol.

My mic cost me $19. Not the best, I know. But this is sooo fun. I don't even mind sounding like a dork. I just have to get started! Crazy huh?

soundchest
Last edited by soundchest on January 17th, 2007, 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

<chortles> Almost everyone goes through a Dorktastic Phase. If you have a few minutes, you might like to have a look at the useful thread on this subject: What if I suck? Note the old, old dates ... and the names with hundreds and thousands of posts next to them dithering about their Dorkola-Quotient.

It's eminently possible to come out the other side (I loooove the sound of my own voice, which is a problem in itself :lol:) and if not ... hey, you're doing this for free and for fun and who cares anyway when you're Reading Literature To Posterity.