[COMPLETE] The Deluge (vol. 1)/Henryk Sienkiewicz-ans

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Theodulf

Post by Theodulf »

One other question:

In the introductory note "Titles of Rank and Address", the translator writes,

"The highest military rank in Poland was grand hetman; next in order came field-hetman [hetman polny - Theo], which has appeared inadvertently in these volumes as full hetman."

When we are reading this, can we change "full hetman" back to "field hetman"?

Theo
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Thee are 12 mentions spread through the book - I'd have no problems with you reading it as field but I'm not sure you can expect others to, nor that it is absolutely necessary.

Anne
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Re "hetman", if the text also mentions the correct rank and the 2 appear side by side in the book, then I guess it would be better to make them uniform. If "field hetman" is consistently read as "full hetman" throughout the book, then it's probably much less hassle to leave it as it is. Making the readers remember about each occurence of the error and replace it with the correct term would be a bit of a problem- let's not forget there's also the 2nd volume :P

And, of course you can have section 4 and 5. I'll put your claim in the MW immediately. We're proceeding surpringly fast :thumbs:

EDIT: I've just checked. It's consistent. No mention of field-hetman anywhere in the text, save for the notes. Just read it "full hetman".

EDIT 2: Great intuition about the accent :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Theodulf

Post by Theodulf »

Hi - here's my version of Section 03:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/delugevol1_03_sienkiewicz.mp3

Running time: 14 mins 33 secs

This is my first track for a work of fiction, so I would welcome any feedback or criticism.

Theodulf

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
- Groucho Marx
Last edited by Theodulf on March 12th, 2013, 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Great. Thanks. Rapunzelina will come to PL it when she has time.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Your reading is great, Theo! :D And the recording is PL OK.

There is at times (mostly in the first half of the recording) a very faint sound of ringing in the backgound (me, it reminds me of the ringing of ice cubes in a glass of drink). If you can identify the source and minimize or eliminate it, it might improve the overall quality for future recordings, but otherwise it is very faint and still OK. :wink:
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I release Section 02 back to the pool and claim Introduction instead.
Theodulf

Post by Theodulf »

Section 04 is ready for PL:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/delugevol1_04_sienkiewicz.mp3

23 mins, 12 secs

Theo
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Piotr, I need to relinquish my claim on the first chapter. I've been practicing but I'm not confident enough of doing a decent job right now with the names. Maybe when my work slacks off this summer and if sections are still open then, I'll claim another section at that time. I really *am* excited about this project and am looking forward to having it catalogued, but I think I overextended myself when I volunteered for Chapter 1. I'm sorry to disappoint. :(
~ Chessie Joy
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I can orphan your section now if you want, but I just wanted to say that you have two months to record it so no there's no need to hurry :) Also, the names are not all there is, so don't focus on them so much :)
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Hi everyone! Section 4 is PL OK :D
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

OK, Chapter 1 goes back to the pool.
Also, many thanks for Section 4, Theodulf.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Here comes the introduction. I'm posting it here as there are apparently some problems with logging to MWs
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/delugevol1_00_sienkiewicz.mp3 Duration: 26:42
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The introduction is PL OK! :)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

OK, so I claim Chapter 1.

By the way, further down the line we'll have to pay close attention to the "Chapter/Section" distinction. There are many chapters that run for more than 1 section. I think I'll put a note in the opening post.