COMPLETE: Faust I by Goethe (trans. Taylor) - ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Faust (the first part of the tragedy) by Johann Wolfgang von Goethe. Translated by Bayard Taylor.

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/faust-part-1-by-johann-wolfgang-von-goethe/

Editors found! Please see Magic Window below section 28, and this post.

Please note: By submitting your files to this project, you agree to place them in the Public Domain.

1. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a part to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you’d like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 01 August 2011.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Please use this, which is the Gutenberg text slightly amended so characters are more consistent and easier to find: http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dt724vw_26d83q35&revision=_published

I have created a spreadsheet with three sheets: 'By character,' 'By reader' and 'By scene' - to make it easier to find things: http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=ple47UDX0gH7MAV_WhR-fGQ Click on the three tabs at the bottom of the sheet to change between views.
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below), not characters!
    A note about parts:
    • No auditions; just claim whatever you fancy. Please don't ask me to suggest a part for you; I'd rather you chose yourself.
    • Please claim a section, not a character. Each section represents one reader, and all characters within the section should be read be that reader. You can claim more than one section if you're confident you can read all the characters in the sections sufficiently differently.
    • There are 98 characters in total, so I've opted to have multiple castings per person. Don't be put off by 4-7 characters for one reader - most of these characters appear in only one scene and only have a few lines to say. Refer to the text and the spreadsheet (see 4. above).
    • Some characters need to be read by more than one person, e.g. Witches, Peasants, Choruses. In these cases I've assigned 'Witches' etc to more than one section. I've put a note in the Magic Window below as to which file we'll use as a reference so the recordings can be edited together.
    • Numbers in brackets behind characters refer to scenes in which the characters appear.
    • Some characters sing. We'll make up the songs somehow. :) When several characters sing together, I've put a note in the Magic Window below as to which file we'll use as a reference so the recordings can be edited together. - Please don't feel you have to be a good singer. It's not like the characters attend choir practice together. As long as it doesn't sound completely awful, it'll be fine!
    • I think some of the smaller roles don't have to be gender-specific.
    • Total length of the play is about 2 hours.

(Admin link)
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please post recordings by scene - don't wait until you have everything together, just send it up when you've completed a scene.

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as
    .mp3 128kbps (not as .wav!)
    faust_xx_scyy_charactername.mp3 (all lower-case) where xx is the number of your section (first column in Magic Window above) and yy is the scene number in two arabic digits. (e.g. faust_04_sc01_student1.mp3). If you have a prelude/prologue, put faust_xx_prologue_charactername.mp3.
    For characters who appear in more than one scene, please create a separate file for each scene.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
      You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ge - Gesine
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
    I'll need the following information from you when you submit a recording:
    • Your name/pseudonym as you want to appear in the LibriVox catalog, and your website URL if you like. These are only necessary if this is your first LibriVox recording.
    • The file size of your .mp3 file.
Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by Gesine on October 29th, 2010, 2:36 am, edited 30 times in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Caeristhiona

Post by Caeristhiona »

I'd like to try out for Margarethe (or however we're doing it in this recording). I'm pretty ubiquitous on LibriVox, but if you want I can link you to something specific.

I've not done a Dramatic Work yet, so this is very exciting to me. :)
In my experience, nothing ruins a party like someone suddenly speaking Latin in reverse.
-- Jeffrey Rowland
frenchaudrey

Post by frenchaudrey »

I would love to read for Martha! I read over the synopsis and this sounds like a great piece. I did a little research but couldn't figure out how old Martha is suppose to sound, and I know I can sound pretty young which might be a problem- Let me know if you would like a sample :wink:

~Claire
timberwolfmage

Post by timberwolfmage »

Gahhh...just barely too late for the two female parts...*grins*

I am interested in getting involved, though, Gesine, so when you get your character list sorted out, you can mark me down for whatever you like. I'm not extremely familiar with this play but I want to do it anyway. :D

My voice can be found in King Lear (Goneril), The Orestia (Fury #2), Twelfth Night (Maria) and the one-act collection (Swan Song, Svietlovidoff), if you're doing audition-type things.
-- [url=http://www.trekandromeda.com][b]Rosalind Wills[/b][/url]
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh you're a bunch of nice people, aren't you? Thanks for being so quick.

I'm not auditioning - frenchaudrey you can have martha, Caet you can have the "Young Witch" (only joking - you can be Margaret), and timberwolfmage, we'll find you something.

Not very many female parts in this, unfortunately...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Le Marteau

Post by Le Marteau »

OK, I'll do Mephisto if you really want :twisted: But I promise you, this is the only digression of mine until Moby Dick is completed. :)
"The essence of all beautiful art, all great art, is gratitude." - Nietzsche
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Yes yes yes! I really want. :)
Le Marteau

Post by Le Marteau »

... and so shall ye have, o fair one.

But Faust... where is the Faust? Is there not man enough to step forward for such a part, in these parts? No one with such spine as required to play the foil to my Mephisopheles? No one dare such?

I stand aghast. Come, ye mortal, and give voice to humanity. Give voice to that which is important, and in doing so, give voice to yourself.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

LOL - good start... seems you're already getting into character.
Jestermedia

Post by Jestermedia »

Hi Gesine,

I'd have put myself forward for Faust but I really must get Romeo sorted before I commit to anything else of this size. I'd be happy to read some of the smaller parts for you if that helped.

best regards,

Simon
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

What a shame, Simon... but of course I understand (even though Le Marteau is going to kill me for it, as I bullied him into doing Mephisto despite his wish of getting his Moby Dick solo recorded first ;)). I'm still working on dividing parts; will post the full character list soon.
Le Marteau

Post by Le Marteau »

Gesine wrote:What a shame, Simon... but of course I understand (even though Le Marteau is going to kill me for it, as I bullied him into doing Mephisto despite his wish of getting his Moby Dick solo recorded first ;)). I'm still working on dividing parts; will post the full character list soon.
You did not 'bully' me, of course. You simply pointed out that this, while not exactly a short-story, is still just a play, and is the length of a play, and would be the equivalent of one or two chapters of Moby Dick (which is true, especially for the more long-winded chapters).

And therefore, even though I am dedicated to finishing Moby Dick, how could I turn down the opportunity to read one of the bedrocks of literature, one of the hallmarks of civilization, Goethe's 'Faust'?

Yes, it is a challenging work. Looking at the text, one can see that. I'm not the poetic sort; more of the prosaic, but I have to go for it.

Look at the translation. What could be more intriguing? Again, I'm no poet so I know not what I talk about, but observe the changes in meter, the flow, the asides. Who could turn that down? This will be a learning experience for me, and something new.

This is my idea of 'fun'.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

That's the spirit! Thanks, Le Marteau. - I confess I started having second thoughts when I saw the text, and the singing, etc... I'm probably one of about ten people in Germany who managed to escape Faust in school (don't think I've even seen the film!). I read the Marlowe version, but not Goethe. So doing this is a good way to make up for it... and I'll have all of you to help me. What could be better? :)

Apologies for the lack of progress here - I've been too busy to work on this, but will hopefully progress a little today and tomorrow; so it should be 'open' by or at the weekend.

In the meantime: come forward, Faust! :)
Queue

Post by Queue »

Reading thru the text I was curious if you had in mind emoting the text or simply entering it into the auditory consciousness by a group. Thanks.
Pax,
~Queue
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Sorry, not sure I quite understand what you mean - could you explain?