COMPLETE The Life of Samuel Johnson, Vol.4 by Boswell -ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The Life of Samuel Johnson, Vol. IV by James Boswell (1740 - 1795) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-life-of-samuel-johnson-vol-iv-by-james-boswell/
This is the fourth volume of the Biography of Samuel Johnson.

Samuel Johnson's Life has been documented in great detail by his friends, this biography being originally published by James Boswell, and then edited several times by other persons, such as John Croker, who have been friends of both Samuel Johnson as well as James Boswell.

Already famous during his life time, Samuel Johnson's biography attracted considerable attention when it was published after Johnson's death, and continues to be read until today. (Summary by Carolin)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/10357
    Please read from the google docs in the magic window!
    Before you claim a section, please check the text. Some sections have Latin and French passages.

Let me know if you notice anything strange with the docs so that i can fix them!
    In case you find a random [number] in your text, this may be a footnote that I forgot to cut out. Please omit it. If you are not sure about it, post in the thread, and we can figure it out together :) thanks!
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    please follow the instructions given in the google docs in the magic window!
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Life of Samuel Johnson, Vol. IV. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Life of Samuel Johnson, Vol. IV , by James Boswell . [Section ##]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section ##]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Life of Samuel Johnson, Vol. IV , by James Boswell . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    samueljohnson4_##_boswell.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. samueljohnson4_01_boswell.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: James Boswell
    Album: The Life of Samuel Johnson, Vol. IV

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

so far, so good. filling out the magic window will take me a while since i am making the docs simultaneously.

feel free to claim the sections that are ready, and a dpl is also most welcome! :D
Carolin
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Carolin,

I would like to claim Sections 1, 2 and 3.

Barbara
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you barbara :thumbs:
Carolin
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Carolin,

I have uploaded Section 1:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/samueljohnson4_01_boswell.mp3

MB 30.2
M:S 33:01

This is such an absorbing and satisfyingly challenging work. Thanks to the internet, all the references can be followed up - I'm getting educated, as well as entertained and and morally improved by the Doctor.

Best,

Barbara
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you very much, barbara :)
Carolin
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Carolin,

I have uploaded Section 2:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/samueljohnson4_02_boswell.mp3

MB 28.5
M:S 31:09

And, while I'm here, I may as well claim Sections 4, 5 and 6.

Where is everybody?

Barbara
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you barbara :)

sometimes it takes a little while for a project to really get started. people will come around ;)
Carolin
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Carolin,

I have uploaded Section 3:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ck/samueljohnson4_03_boswell.mp3

MB 28.8
M:S 31:30

Best,

Barbara
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thank you barbara :thumbs:
Carolin
ceasul

Post by ceasul »

Hi there,

I'd like to proof listen a chapter or two of this - the procedure is that I post my comments here when I'm done and that's it, correct? No need to sign up separately as a ('non-dedicated') proof listener, is there? I'm new at librivox and want to proof listen before getting started with recording. I've read the relevant FAQs but if there's anything I seem to have missed, let me know please :?

I'll start with section 1 and post again when I'm done then.
Gruß :)
ceasul
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi ceasul, willkommen bei librivox!

i also started with proof listening myself, it is a great way to learn the process. if you read the faqs, i think you are all set. in projects that dont have a dedicated proof listener (dpl), you can just listen to a section at a time to help us out. if you like proof listening and the book, i can sign you up as dpl later.

this is standard pl, so you dont need to read along with the text if you dont want to, but if you find any of the things below, please post them in this thread, with the time in the recording where the error occurred.
For what types of error should I be listening?
There are some standard things that need to be listened for in each section, with possible additions depending on the nature of the text. The first post of each proof-listening thread should include a list of the requirements; if it doesn't, please ask the BC or soloist. By far the most common level of PL required is 'standard PL':
-- Do the intro and disclaimer match the instructions in the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there any long silences or pauses that ought to be edited out? If so, note the time.
-- Are there any repeats, or serious stumbles that ought to be edited out? If so, note the words and the time.
-- Is there excessive background noise, a constant hiss or buzz that detracts from the reading?
-- Did you need to turn your volume up unusually high to listen to the recording? (Or did you find the recording too loud?)
-- Are the correct closing words used at the end of the recording, as per the first post of the project thread?
-- Are there 5 seconds of silence (10 if the recording is more than 30 minutes long) at the end of the file?
thanks a lot for your help! post in the thread or write me a message if anything is unclear :D
Carolin
ceasul

Post by ceasul »

Danke, Carolin! Hope I'm doing everything the right way :)

Here are my notes on section 1:

I think the volume is pretty low. I compared it to some recordings that are already finished and in the catalogue, and they were much louder. But I haven't figured out how to check technical stuff yet, so I can't give any hard facts here... :|

There is some background noise at 25:52 (something dropped to the floor?) and at 26:08, which I found distracting because it's quite loud.

At 12 different points in the recording, there is a low hiss, each about 10 seconds long - no idea whether that is common or not. If anyone wants to check, the first one occurs at 7:10-7:21. I can post where the others occur if necessary/helpful.

The rest is fine!

Hope this helps! I'll probably come back and listen to another section later on, i.e. maybe not before next weekend.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thanks a lot!

the volume of section 1 is 88,9 so it is pretty much perfect :thumbs:

i can check on the background noise you mentioned later today when (if) i find my headphones :)
Carolin
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

ceasul wrote:Danke, Carolin! Hope I'm doing everything the right way :)

There is some background noise at 25:52 (something dropped to the floor?) and at 26:08, which I found distracting because it's quite loud.
Hi ceasul, thanks - I hope you enjoy Librivox!

I have removed the noise at 25:52, which I missed altogether. The one at 26:08 I thought I might have fixed but I was wrong and it really needs re-recording, which I will do later today.
At 12 different points in the recording, there is a low hiss, each about 10 seconds long - no idea whether that is common or not. If anyone wants to check, the first one occurs at 7:10-7:21. I can post where the others occur if necessary/helpful.
Now, these I cannot hear at all. I wonder if the hiss is my breathing? I used to remove my breaths but have been reading on the advice forums that they add warmth to a recording so I have tried leaving them in for Vol. 4. Listening again to Section 1, I don't think they add anything to this particular work so I'll go through all three Sections and eliminate them!

best,

Barbara