I REFUSE to be defeated!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
kri

Post by kri »

DixieMom wrote:
kristin wrote:Welcome Dixie, don't get discouraged, I was completely overwhelmed my first day trying to figure everything out. Ok, I have a few questions for you.

First, can you access/listen to the mp3 file?

Second, how were you trying to send it to her?

Third, can you post a link to the file so we can check and see if anything is wrong with it?

If I'm getting ahead of myself with the problem and we need to take a few steps back let me know.
Okay, I'm not sure if this is going to work or not. When I finished my Test Drive recording, I put it in My Documents. Two things happened. First, it created an Audacity file. Second, it created a data file folder. When I open the folder it's just a bunch of RealPlayer icons. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at or if this is what a finished recording is supposed to look like.

Here's the link: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Librivox Recordings\Test by Dixie_data

Can anyone verify that this is what it's supposed to look like? All help greatly appreciated!

Dixie
When you just click save, it will save your file in the Audacity format. You have to click "Export as MP3" in order to save it as an MP3 file. It will then prompt you to enter your ID3 tags, then you can type the filename, and click save.

Also, we can't view the folders on your computer. You'll have to upload (transfer to the internet) your file somewhere. You can try my uploader if you'd like: http://librivox.greenkri.com/uploader/upload.cgi

P.S. I'm on messenger again for a bit.

Edit: I'll probably be on messenger a lot tonight actually.
Last edited by kri on January 9th, 2007, 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

The end of the file name should be .mp3
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

Starlite wrote:Did you create an mp3? That will have the icon like your player - usualy windows media player. Those others you describe are the audacity working files. We can't send those files as they are huge.
Apparently my defaul mp3 is Real Player. Is that a problem? I do have Windows Media Player but I don't know how to change it! :oops:

Arrgh. This is so humiliating! Good for my soul, I'm sure! :lol:

Dixie
kri

Post by kri »

DixieMom wrote:
Starlite wrote:Did you create an mp3? That will have the icon like your player - usualy windows media player. Those others you describe are the audacity working files. We can't send those files as they are huge.
Apparently my defaul mp3 is Real Player. Is that a problem? I do have Windows Media Player but I don't know how to change it! :oops:

Arrgh. This is so humiliating! Good for my soul, I'm sure! :lol:

Dixie
Don't feel humiliated! We all have to learn some time :)
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Real Player is ok but has its quirks. Make sure you know where you saved the mp3 file. It will have a real player icon. :)
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kristin

Post by kristin »

Dixie do you have yahoo messenger? I'll gladly try to take you through some of this if you'd like. I'll leave mine open for a while, if you see me on feel free to contact me. You'll see a link just below this message with my information.
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

kri wrote: When you just click save, it will save your file in the Audacity format. You have to click "Export as MP3" in order to save it as an MP3 file. It will then prompt you to enter your ID3 tags, then you can type the filename, and click save.

Also, we can't view the folders on your computer. You'll have to upload (transfer to the internet) your file somewhere. You can try my uploader if you'd like: http://librivox.greenkri.com/uploader/upload.cgi

Well, I'm happy to announce that kri helped me last night and got me up and running with my first Test Drive! Woo-hoo!

I do have a question about the uploader. In my Test Drive, I used YouSendIt and didn't have any problems. But later, I tried to send a friend another recording (an article that's not in the public domain) and had some problems. Thanks to some mighty fine help, I was able to see that the bit rate was a problem so I fixed that. But I still had some problems and it never got sent.

The recording is 11 minutes long, 10.5 mb, and when I tried to send it on YouSendIt, it was going to take more than 15 minutes! I suspected that something was wrong so I backed out of it because it took mere seconds for me to send my Test Drive to kri and it was 755 kb.

Of course, now that it's all out in the open what a computer ignoramus I am, I have no idea what I should expect in an upload time. Can someone give me an idea?

Appreciate you all!

Dixie
kayray

Post by kayray »

yousendit very often fails.

Try http://mediafire.com/
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Rowen

Post by Rowen »

DixieMom wrote:
kri wrote: When you just click save, it will save your file in the Audacity format. You have to click "Export as MP3" in order to save it as an MP3 file. It will then prompt you to enter your ID3 tags, then you can type the filename, and click save.

Well, I'm happy to announce that kri helped me last night and got me up and running with my first Test Drive! Woo-hoo!

I do have a question about the uploader. In my Test Drive, I used YouSendIt and didn't have any problems. But later, I tried to send a friend another recording (an article that's not in the public domain) and had some problems. Thanks to some mighty fine help, I was able to see that the bit rate was a problem so I fixed that. But I still had some problems and it never got sent.

The recording is 11 minutes long, 10.5 mb, and when I tried to send it on YouSendIt, it was going to take more than 15 minutes! I suspected that something was wrong so I backed out of it because it took mere seconds for me to send my Test Drive to kri and it was 755 kb.

Of course, now that it's all out in the open what a computer ignoramus I am, I have no idea what I should expect in an upload time. Can someone give me an idea?

Appreciate you all!

Dixie
Ok this is slightly techy but hopefully understandable :S

755kb (kilobyte) is a very small file, so will take a very short amount of time to upload. A 10.5mb (megabyte) file is MUCH larger. There's approximately 1000kb in 1mb, so a time of 15 mins to upload is not unreasonable. The speed of the upload can depend on many factors. Depending on what kind of internet connection you have sometimes downloading other stuff at the same time can slow it down.

Also if you think of the internet as one big giant road system between towns and cities. Some places traffic is bad other places there is hardly any and of course it depends on the time of day. So depending what route you take between places sometimes it'll be quick other times it'll be crawling along. The internet is the same thing. Just think of the data (your 10.5mb file in this case) as the car, some times there will be traffic congestion, and other times there won't.

Um... I hope that's not too confusing! :S
[size=92][url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=684]My LV Projects[/url] | Like Arthurian legend? Why not try [u][url=http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15518]Le Mort d'Arthur Vol 2[/url][/u]?[/size]
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

kayray wrote:yousendit very often fails.

I take it that LibriVox doesn't care?

Dixie
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

[/quote]
Ok this is slightly techy but hopefully understandable :S

755kb (kilobyte) is a very small file, so will take a very short amount of time to upload. A 10.5mb (megabyte) file is MUCH larger. There's approximately 1000kb in 1mb, so a time of 15 mins to upload is not unreasonable. The speed of the upload can depend on many factors. Depending on what kind of internet connection you have sometimes downloading other stuff at the same time can slow it down.

Also if you think of the internet as one big giant road system between towns and cities. Some places traffic is bad other places there is hardly any and of course it depends on the time of day. So depending what route you take between places sometimes it'll be quick other times it'll be crawling along. The internet is the same thing. Just think of the data (your 10.5mb file in this case) as the car, some times there will be traffic congestion, and other times there won't.

Um... I hope that's not too confusing! :S[/quote]

Actually, this is really quite brilliant for the computer ignoramus! Cars and traffic congestion I understand! :roll:

Thanks a LOT!

Dixie
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

[/quote]

Actually, this is really quite brilliant for the computer ignoramus! Cars and traffic congestion I understand! :roll:

Thanks a LOT!

Dixie[/quote]
One more thing -- I just had no concept that a three-page article that was 11 minutes in recording time would be considered BIG! :lol:

Dixie
kri

Post by kri »

DixieMom wrote:

Dixie
I think you misunderstand. LibriVox is not in any way affiliated with yousendit. It's just a service that we've found works, and recommend (plus others like hte one Kara recommended) to use in order to send files. Whether we care or not, there's nothing we can do about it except stop using it!
kri

Post by kri »

Wait, I think I misunderstand. Another answer to your question, we don't care how the file gets to us, as long as the person that needs to download it in the end can do so :)
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

kri wrote:
DixieMom wrote:

Dixie
I think you misunderstand. LibriVox is not in any way affiliated with yousendit. It's just a service that we've found works, and recommend (plus others like hte one Kara recommended) to use in order to send files. Whether we care or not, there's nothing we can do about it except stop using it!
I think I get it... LibriVox will accept an upload via any uploader to send files. That's what I meant by "...LibriVox doesn't care"!

Dixie