I REFUSE to be defeated!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

kri wrote:I'm not sure if what Rowen tells you will work, but if it doesn't here's another way to unzip in Windows.

Go to the folder where you can see lame-3.96.1, and right click on it. Then click "Extract All" and click next when the prompt comes up. Then click browse and choose the Audacity folder in your computer to extract them to (or anywhere, it doesn't really matter). Then click next, and it will extract the files to where you told it to. Then click finish.

Now you have to tell Audacity where the file is. Read through this wiki page. It will tell you how to point Audacity to where Lame is, as well as how to set Audacity up the proper way for LibriVox.

That should get you started!
I've already moved it to my Desk Top!

I'll go back and re-read that wiki page.... Sigh. Bear with me -- I've read it twice and I dunno... I'm still not up and running!

Dixie
kri

Post by kri »

DixieMom wrote:
Rowen wrote: You can put this file anywhere, as long as you remember where it is so that you can tell Audacity where it is.

So if you have a folder for LibriVox recordings you could put it there, of if you want to save it with your Audacity files, which makes sense too, do the following (hopefully you'll have a similar file system)

Start --> My Computer --> Local Disc --> Program files --> Audacity

Does that help? :)
Well, I don't have a folder for LibriVox recordings yet! I was able to move the lame_dll (or whatever) to my Desk Top. Will it work there?

When I do Start --> My Computer --> I get lost at this point. I don't see anything that says Local Disc or Program files or Audacity.

Thanks for your help! Dixie

Dixie
I highly recommend not putting anything important on your desktop. The desktop is meant mostly for shortcuts. It may just be easier for you to move the lame_dll file to your Audacity folder. You should find this by clicking on My Computer, then Computer (C):, then Program Files, then you should find a folder called Audacity there. Put it anywhere in the Audacity folder.
kri

Post by kri »

OK, so if the wiki doesn't work, here's how to now point out Lame to Audacity. Open Audacity. You should find it in your start button. If you're using Windows XP: click the start button, then All Programs. Look for Audacity in there. If you don't find it there, go to the same Audacity folder that I showed you to in my previous post (to move the lame_dll file), and look for a file called Audacity or Audacity.exe (it has blue headphones with a yellow audio wave between them).

Once Audacity is opened, click on Edit at the top, then Preferences. There are a bunch of tabs you can click on in the box that pops up. Click on File Formats, and look at the very bottom of the box. You'll see some small text that says MP3 Export Setup. Click on the button that says Find Library. Then a dialog box will pop up that will allow you to search for lame_dll. Go to the folder I told you to put lame_dll in the previous post (or where you have it now), and double click on lame_dll. Make sure the Bit Rate (at the very bottom) says 128 in the dropdown.

One last thing to do to make sure that the techincal aspects are set up. You can click OK in the box that you have open to go back to the main Audacity window. At the very very bottom left you'll see the words Project Rate, and a box beside that. Make sure that box says 44100 (it probably will). If it doesn't, click on the box, and change it to 44100.

Once you do this, you'll never have to do it again.
kri

Post by kri »

If you want anymore guidance in the next 15 minutes or so, I'm on instant messenger if you have Yahoo, AIM, MSN, ICQ, or Skype. Just look at the end of any of my messages and you'll see my usernames.
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

Dixie! Keep going! There are plenty of us out here to help! We'll get you going. Taking your time is the best antidote! -Alan
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

DixieMom wrote:When I do Start --> My Computer --> I get lost at this point. I don't see anything that says Local Disc or Program files or Audacity.
The Local Disk is the same as the C drive. It may be called different things on different computers, but should always end with (C:).
Karen S.
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

gypsygirl wrote:
DixieMom wrote:When I do Start --> My Computer --> I get lost at this point. I don't see anything that says Local Disc or Program files or Audacity.
The Local Disk is the same as the C drive. It may be called different things on different computers, but should always end with (C:).
I may have done it! I retrieved my lame file from my desktop and moved it to my C: drive and into my Audacity folder! The bit rate is 128 and the quality something-or-other is 44100.

Yay!

Maybe I'm done?

Thank you EVERYONE for all your patience! And for kri -- I tried to IM you but you were gone!

Anyway -- we'll see. I'll probably be on this afternoon with a test recording. Is this the appropriate place to do a test drive?

:D

Dixie
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

This is a fine place for a test drive. :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
kristin

Post by kristin »

:clap: Sure you can post it here.
GlassMask

Post by GlassMask »

Best to toss the extracted lame file somewhere out of the way but still accessable. I just tossed it in C:\windows\media, the folder I store my desktops in. Then it won't get accidentally moved or deleted, but is always acessable. You'll need to tell Audacity where it is after you move it.

Don't worry, it only gets easier. ^_^

Ted
"To those who accept their fate, happiness. To those who defy their fate, glory."
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

This should do it:

Here you go, as near to step-by-step as I can do it. We’ll first search for the location of your Audacity program; then look at the cluster of Audacity folders with Windows Explorer; put the Lame file in a suitable place; then tell Audacity where to look for it.

Search:
Left click on the Start button at bottom left of the desktop, choose Search, then slide your cursor over “Files and Folders” and left click
First, in the menu across the top of the search box, click on View, then click on Details in the pull-down menu that appears (this is so you can see what type of files you are looking at when you carry out your search).
Under “What do you want to search for?” click on “all files and folders”
In “All or part of the file name” type “audacity” (without the quote marks), then click on Search at the bottom of that dialog box. (“Look in local hard drives C:” should be showing in a box a little below the File Name box.)
The results of the search appear to the right. One of the files should be “audacity.exe”. Make a note of its location, which should be to the right (on my machine, it is C:\Program Files\Audacity. This is the folder where your program is hiding.
Close the Search box by clicking on the X at top right.

Display the Audacity folders:
Left click on Start, slide the cursor to Programs; then within the programs list (probably right at the top), slide up to Accessories; then within the next menu, slide the cursor down to Windows Explorer and click on it.
This should open up two windows next to each other. The left one shows the folders on your computer, and the right one shows you what’s in any one of those folders that you click on.
First, in the left window, click on Desktop …. I think that’s where your Lame files were unzipped? (including lame_enc.dll) .. just to make sure you’ve got it: it should appear in the window on the right. If the right window is full of icons, click on View in the menu bar at the top, and select Details again, to see more information about the files.
(If it’s not there, come back and ask again!)
Then, in the right window …. hold down the control key and left click on all the files with lame in their file name. They should now all be highlit. Now Right-Click on one of these and choose Cut from the menu. This stores them, ready to be put in their new location.

Now you’re going to navigate your way down through the tree of folders: in the window on the left, click on the little “+” symbol next to “My Computer”; then click on the “+” next to “Windows (C:)”. This shows the main folders on your hard drive. Remembering the location of the Audacity program that you made a note of earlier, click on the + ‘s until you get there.
On my machine (and yours is likely to be the same), under C: there’s a + labelled “Program Files”. Clicking on this lists the folders holding all the different application programs. Clicking on the Audacity + gives four more folders, one of which is Plug-ins. (This is where your Lame files are going to go.) Make a note of the sequence of folders that you’ve gone through … in my case C:\Program Files\Audacity\Plug-ins
Now in that left window, Right-Click on the name Plug-ins. It will become highlit and a menu will open up. Choose Paste from the menu. All those Lame files will now be pasted into the Audacity Plug-ins folder.
Now Close Windows Explorer with the X at top right.

Tell Audacity where the lame_enc.dll file is:
Open Audacity (by clicking on its Desktop icon). Click on Edit in the menu at top, and click on Preferences in the pull-down. Then in the box that opens, there is a line of tabs across the top. Click on the one labelled File Formats. In the page that opens, part way down on the right is a button labelled Find Library (within an outlined box labelled “MP3 export set up”.)
Click on the button. You’ll get a little message asking if you want to locate your lame_enc.dll file. Say yes. Now, from the little pull down at the top, work your way down the folders until you get to the Audacity Plug-ins folder. The file should be displayed. Click on the Open button. Then close down the various windows. Audacity should now be able to export mp3s.

Good luck.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Speaking of, I played around with wink and came up with this (if a couple of you would look through it and see if it's ok and give me a suggestion of a permanent place to link it): http://www.geocities.com/karenruth73/tutorials/audacity_setup.htm
Karen S.
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

kristin wrote:Welcome Dixie, don't get discouraged, I was completely overwhelmed my first day trying to figure everything out. Ok, I have a few questions for you.

First, can you access/listen to the mp3 file?

Second, how were you trying to send it to her?

Third, can you post a link to the file so we can check and see if anything is wrong with it?

If I'm getting ahead of myself with the problem and we need to take a few steps back let me know.
Okay, I'm not sure if this is going to work or not. When I finished my Test Drive recording, I put it in My Documents. Two things happened. First, it created an Audacity file. Second, it created a data file folder. When I open the folder it's just a bunch of RealPlayer icons. I'm not really sure what I'm looking at or if this is what a finished recording is supposed to look like.

Here's the link: C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Librivox Recordings\Test by Dixie_data

Can anyone verify that this is what it's supposed to look like? All help greatly appreciated!

Dixie
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

Did you create an mp3? That will have the icon like your player - usualy windows media player. Those others you describe are the audacity working files. We can't send those files as they are huge.
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw
DixieMom

Post by DixieMom »

Starlite wrote:Did you create an mp3? That will have the icon like your player - usualy windows media player. Those others you describe are the audacity working files. We can't send those files as they are huge.
Ack! I thought I did! I selected Export to mp3, filled out all the info, added IDtags, then saved. When I finished, I found the link (in the post above) and posted it.

Are you saying you can't access it?!

Sigh. Okay. I guess it's back to the drawing board. I'm stepping away from my computer for the next several hours so I'll have to play around with it later!

:cry:

Bummer!

Dixie