[COMPLETE] Works of Edgar Allan Poe Raven Edition Vol 4-tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Raven Edition, Volume 4 by Edgar Allan Poe (1809 - 1849) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the Archive page: http://archive.org/details/poeraven_vol4_1308_librivox
When the new catalog is launched, the catalog page for the project will be:
http://librivox.org/the-works-of-edgar-allan-poe-raven-edition-volume-4-by-edgar-allan-poe/

This, the fourth of 5 volumes containing Poe's works, contains 22 of his short stories. (Summary by TriciaG)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/2150
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Raven Edition, Volume 4. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      "[Story title, Part # if applicable] by Edgar Allan Poe."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book (section 23), say (in addition):
      "End of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Raven Edition, Volume 4 , by Edgar Allan Poe . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    worksofpoevol4_##_poe.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. worksofpoevol4_01_poe.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - (just the section number is fine; I'll fill in the rest at cataloging)
    Artist: Edgar Allan Poe
    Album: The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Raven Edition, Volume 4

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: tg - TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

As a French/Ancient Greek major who has hung out in Italy and Germany, I feel it is my duty to read section 06 (I'll have to wing the Spanish, though.)

Also, if anyone is looking for a partner for a dialogue, I'd be willing to help.
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Great, thanks! I can help a bit with the Spanish if you like. :)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Readers Wanted...
agnoscomihi

Post by agnoscomihi »

I'd like to read section 8 and 14 if that's all right. Also I'm curious about how the dialogue would work out.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure! I'll put you in. Just be sure to get your volume worked out and your test OK'd before starting. ;)

How would you like to be credited in the catalog? There are places for a catalog name (some use a nickname, some their real name) and a personal web site or blog, if you have one. CLICK HERE for an example of what I'm talking about. I recommend using whatever name you say (if any) when you say, "recorded by [your name]" as that's how listeners will look for you.

The dialogue would basically be each person reading their lines, then one of them would edit it all together.
acfitzmorris

Post by acfitzmorris »

I would like to read sections 2, 4, and 12.
"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."
agnoscomihi

Post by agnoscomihi »

Cool, thanks. I already changed my settings on Audacity so I should be good, but I'll update the test to make sure. For the catalog I'll use my name: Marcos Gomez. Is there somewhere I should put this info, or is it going to get taken care of?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I would like to read sections 2, 4, and 12.
Welcome! I've put you in. There are two things: (1) like Marcos right before you, I'll need a catalog name for you; and (2) I HIGHLY recommend waiting to record until you've submitted and passed a quick "sound check" test. That way if there's anything wrong that requires a re-record, you haven't wasted your time. ;) Here's a link to instructions: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test
agnoscomihi wrote:Cool, thanks. I already changed my settings on Audacity so I should be good, but I'll update the test to make sure. For the catalog I'll use my name: Marcos Gomez. Is there somewhere I should put this info, or is it going to get taken care of?
It's accessible only by the MC's and BC's, so no, you can't do it. ;)

Your brand new, shiny catalog page is here: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=8074

I have mine bookmarked and use it to keep track of which sections I have claimed. Also, you can reach it by clicking on your name in any MW in which you appear (which will open it in the MW, so I recommend opening the link in a new tab). :)
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

I've just started recording and I noticed that the title is said twice in the disclaimer, and since the author's name is in the title, it sounds a bit repetitive. Should I say the book title both times it appears, or just the first time?
What am I up to?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

EDITED POST:

Hmmm. Good question. It's how we did it in Volume 3, but I can see how redundant it is. How about this?

"Section [number] of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Raven Edition, Volume 4. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
" [Story title, Chapter/Part # if applicable] by Edgar Allan Poe."
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

TriciaG wrote:Hmmm. Good question. So you're suggesting this?

"Section [number] of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Raven Edition, Volume 4. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
" [Story title, Chapter/Part # if applicable]"
I'm not sure if it is necessary to specifically mention the author (I mean, it's pretty obvious who that is from the title.) Would policy require it to be:

"Section [number] of The Works of Edgar Allan Poe, Raven Edition, Volume 4, by Edgar Allan Poe - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
If you wish, say:
Say:
" [Story title, Chapter/Part # if applicable]"
What am I up to?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It appears I was editing as you were typing. See my post above yours for another option.
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Okay, I'll do that. Hopefully it'll be finished later tonight.
What am I up to?
acfitzmorris

Post by acfitzmorris »

For the catalogue, my name is Ariel Fitzmorris. I just did the 1-Minute Test, but for whatever reason I cannot login as the uploader. What should I do about that?
"War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."