SOME COOL TUTORIAL VIDEOS TO GET YOU STARTED

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

LibriVox can be a bit confusing, (ok, more than a little) so here are some videos I've made to explain things that bewildered me at first, like:

Getting To Know Our Forums (Highly Recommended by me Image)

How The LibriVox Recording Process Works .. in 5 minutes or less! (ok, 6 minutes but let's not get picky, eh?)

Welcome to LibriVox: Who We Are and What We do Pretty basic information but it covers most of what we do and was fun to make.

EAGER TO JUMP INTO RECORDING? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKLWam9cfVo&t=74s Just follow t he steps in this video and you will be recording before you can say Jack Rabbit. Twice.

Installing Audacity Also includes installing LAME I think. But the latest version of Audacity has it built in so no extra steps are required.

How To Make Your 1 Minute Test Finding the script mostly.

NEW for 2022 !!!! [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_8Rdrx4COs]How To Upload Your 1 Minute Test 'nuff said.

I'm New. What Should I Read First?. After getting your 1 minute test approved naturally.

And here is a link to ALL OF OUR INSTRUCTIONAL VIDEOS

Of course there are lots more videos about installing Audacity, setting your technical specs, basic editing, doing a first solo and a lot of things like that at the link above (yeah, we like to make videos).

Enjoy being here and ask question. We are a helpful lot and everyone is not as unserious as me. But then I am having way too much fun. Image
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
jsherman

Post by jsherman »

Gosh I wish i would have seen these earlier in the day, I will have to check these out...
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jsherman wrote:Gosh I wish i would have seen these earlier in the day, I will have to check these out...
Yeah, but now you have the pleasure of watching 'em and saying 'Yep, ol Phil's right about that'

or something like that. By the way, all these videos are certified as suitable for all audiences over 13. Image
dahliaflower722

Post by dahliaflower722 »

I found these videos so fabulously helpful and hilarious. Thanks so much for making the website so accessible! :D
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

dahliaflower722 wrote:I found these videos so fabulously helpful and hilarious. Thanks so much for making the website so accessible! :D

thank you Dahlia, for the compliment. I enjoyed making 'em and love to hear they help! Image
moiramccoy

Post by moiramccoy »

Argh! I'm sooooo excited to jump into this, and soooooo grateful that you made them. But (?) -- the one on forums (I am a newbie in EVERY way) doesn't seem to want to play past 1:26. Any ideas?

I'll go on to the next one, and see if there's any response here in a bit.

Moira
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It worked for me.

Dumb question: are you familiar with viewing videos on YouTube? It could be that the video hasn't buffered past that point, and you just have to be patient, or pause it while it buffers more of the video.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
stunningblue06

Post by stunningblue06 »

Hi philchenevert.

Just want to say thanks for your video tutorials. Spent my time going through them after my account has been activated. Was feeling really nervous but after watching the videos they just calm me down and rather made me excited. Thanks again.
Vanessa Garcia

"In ancient times, cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this."
>>Terry Pratchet
Peppersnoodles93

Post by Peppersnoodles93 »

Phil,
I am having trouble with getting my audacity to export my file. I have a mac and it said I need to download either LAME or FFmpeg, so I downloaded both. :D I installed both and now it's popping up: audacity needs the file libmp3lame.dylib to create mps's. Then it wants me to choose the location. I click on it but it's not exporting right.
Can you give me some tips on how to get this to work?
I can use garageband. It seems a bit more compatible but I don't know how to reduce the noise with it.

Thank you,

Kimberly Krause
peppersnoodles93
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I'm not Phil, but I play him on TV. (Kudos if you get any sort of reference for that!)

I suggest posting that question over in the "Need Help? Got Questions?" forum. More people will see it and hopefully help you out. :)

Going to look at your test recording in GB in a couple minutes. Stay tuned...
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

stunningblue06 wrote:Hi philchenevert.

Just want to say thanks for your video tutorials. Spent my time going through them after my account has been activated. Was feeling really nervous but after watching the videos they just calm me down and rather made me excited. Thanks again.
Image That is good to hear stunning (may I call you stunning?) and you are most strongy welcome! Keep asking questions and be patient with yourself; it will all come together. Let me know if there is anything confusing that you would like a video on. I may not know it, but I will fake it for you. Image
stunningblue06

Post by stunningblue06 »

Hi philchenevert.

I would rather be called blue (not that I'm blue, or even feeling blue), than stunning. (hahaha, just makes me feel presumptuous.)
TriciaG gave me some pointers about my 1min Script Test which is exactly what I needed.

Anyway, thanks again. All your videos are greatly appreciated! :D
Vanessa Garcia

"In ancient times, cats were worshiped as gods; they have not forgotten this."
>>Terry Pratchet
ElleyKat

Post by ElleyKat »

PHIL. You are my hero. These videos are all so great, and you come off as so friendly and approachable. :) Thanks a MILLION TIMES for making these videos, and keep 'em coming as you learn new tricks. ;) :clap:
~Elley

I've had a death in the family and won't be around Librivox much for the next while. I'll be back ... when I'm back. I appreciate your patience in the meanwhile. :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

ElleyKat wrote:PHIL. You are my hero. These videos are all so great, and you come off as so friendly and approachable. :) Thanks a MILLION TIMES for making these videos, and keep 'em coming as you learn new tricks. ;) :clap:
Thank you Elley. You are also my hero for being so enthusiastic and knowledgable here in LV. Never lose that eagerness to learn ! And you are most welcome for the videos. I will me making or rather 're making' some when the forum is updated and new processes must be learned. Frankly I am eager to do it Image
Anders

Post by Anders »

Hi Phil,

I just wanted to thank you a lot for these videos! I found them so helpful and it is great to have all these things showed in videos :)