[COMPLETE] Children's Short Works Coll Vol. 018 - avs

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aravis

Post by aravis »

HI darkhorse21!

Thanks a lot! :D

The Dummy that Lived: the volume is a little too low. (79dB) It would be great if you could amplify your recording a little.
Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
aravis

Post by aravis »

HI Etel13!

Elli

"Tiefer und tiefer zogen die Buchstaben ihn hinab, wie ein Strudel aus Tinte...dorthin wo auch Staubfinger verschwunden war. An den Ort, an dem alle Geschichten enden." (Cornelia Funke)
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi JBirkinshaw!

Sounds like an interesting idea. :D

Only this collection is for short children's stories, fairy tales, etc. Better submit poetry to the LibriVox short poetry collection: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=43628
Elli

darkhorse21

Post by darkhorse21 »

aravis wrote:HI darkhorse21!

The Dummy that Lived: the volume is a little too low. (79dB) It would be great if you could amplify your recording a little.

Sorry about that. I have been having some trouble with audacity lately. Sometimes when I do a recording and listen to it, I find there is an annoying little "chh" sound while I speak. I have found that turning down the volume usually helps, but I guess I turned it down too low this time. I still feel like the "chh" sound is there as well. Any advice? Thanks.
JBirkinshaw

Post by JBirkinshaw »

darkhorse21 wrote: Sorry about that. I have been having some trouble with audacity lately. Sometimes when I do a recording and listen to it, I find there is an annoying little "chh" sound while I speak. I have found that turning down the volume usually helps, but I guess I turned it down too low this time. I still feel like the "chh" sound is there as well. Any advice? Thanks.
The CH sound is a milder plosive sound than P, but it still involves a puff of air that can tweak a microphone in bad ways. The best guard against plosives is a pop filter or pop screen between you and the microphone element. It's also mostly a high-frequency sound like S so in theory you should be able to crate a custom notch filter to mellow that out without mangling how understandable the words are. Unfortunately my experience with audio production is still mostly on old analog equipment from 20 years ago, so I'm only starting to wrestle with how to accomplish detailed EQ tasks like that on Audacity. Play with it and see if that hint is any help, then let me know!

PS: just found these video how-to's, which are very helpful: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Instructional_Videos#More_Editing
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi darkhorse21!

You could also try to move your mic a bit to the side of your mouth and speak past it rather than into it. :D
Elli

aravis

Post by aravis »

The poor little doll: is PL:OK!!! :D
Elli

ChildRehab

Post by ChildRehab »

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I've attached my first story written by Andrew Lang.

My name is Megan Campbell, I'm a graduate student at Touro University Nevada getting my masters in occupational therapy. I really enjoyed this opportunity. Let me know if there is anything else that I need to do.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/al/the-white-lily.mp3
aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi and welcome to LibriVox, Megan!

Here is your catalog page: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=8061 (You can find it by clicking on your name in the MW.)

In order that we can use your recording, I need a bit more info:

• Name of your story
• Author (birth year - death year)
• Translator if applicable (birth year - death year)
• Source from which you read (i.e. Gutenberg etext url)
• Length in minutes and size in MB of your file

Also for future recordings, please always read the first post of each project. There you can find all the information on which MC to choose (avs - aravis in this case), the filename, ID3 tags etc. The filename in this case should be: childrensshortworks018_whitelily_mc.mp3
But don't make any changes just yet... I'll try to listen to your file tonight and let you know should further changes be needed. :D
Elli

aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi Megan!

I just listened to your recording... great reading! :D

There are just a few things that need to be fixed. First of all the disclaimer at the beginning and at the end of your recording is missing. You can always find the disclaimer for each project in the first post. In this case it should be:

At the beginning please say:
"The White Lily, by Andrew Lang" "This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox Recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit Librivox.org"

And at the end please say:
"End of "The White Lily, by Andrew Lang"
If you wish, you may also say: "Read by...your name."

Please leave 5 seconds of silence at the end of your recording or 10 seconds if longer than 30 minutes.

There is also quite a lot of background noise in your recording. It would be great if you could do some noisecleaning. If you are using Audacity, here is a tutorial: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Noisecleaning_With_Pics

Also your recording is in stereo and we require mono. Here is a tutorial on how to change that: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Splitting_a_Stereo_File

And finally there are two small things that need to be edited out:

2:15-2:23 longish pause

4:20 stumble
...and knew not what misfortune....

All that sounds a lot right now, but most of it is quite easy to fix. Do let me know if you need help with anything! :D
Elli

ReneLaCroix

Post by ReneLaCroix »

Good Day,
I would like to read this short work but with all my efforts have been unable to find a Bio for Amy Steedman. Can I go ahead anyway without that?
:(
Title: David the Shepherd Boy
Author: Amy Steedman
Release Date: May 16, 2008 [EBook #25486]
Language: English
Character set encoding: ISO-8859-1
*** START OF THIS PROJECT GUTENBERG EBOOK DAVID THE SHEPHERD BOY ***
aravis

Post by aravis »

HI ReneLaCroix!

Could you please post a link to the text you are planning to read, so that I can have a look? :D
Elli

ReneLaCroix

Post by ReneLaCroix »

aravis

Post by aravis »

Hi ReneLaCroix!

I just had a look at the text and I'd say it's ok to use. So, happy recording! :D
Elli

ReneLaCroix

Post by ReneLaCroix »

Thank you so much. So, I don't worry about Bio?