(Complete) History Plays for the Grammar Grades - mb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HughGil

Post by HughGil »

Hi Maria,

John Smith and Pocahontas is complete. :clap: Please, be brutally honest, you won't hurt my feelings.

Questions.

1. Do you amplify all of the separate files before you start editing?

2. I assume you use Audacity to do your editing. When you open multiple files, is there a way to keep the panes for each file from changing? I would have multiple files open, doing my copy and paste thing, with each pane adjusted so I could see what I needed to see, then I would click somewhere, and all of the panes would change, usually the height would shrink down. Aggravating.

3. Is there an easy way to identify each file that is open in Audacity? i.e. top left of the file that is currently open, I can see |X history play ▼| right above "Mono, 44100Hz" I can click on the ▼ and select name. Just wondering if there is an easier way to do this.

I tried using the labels function, but was not successful.

Thanks
"the story seems to take forever to go anywhere - and I know where it is going." - m8b1 2012
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Hugh,

It is PL OK! The only thing I would suggest is that some of the gaps between the characters talking were a bit long - for example at 1:14, and more so at 1:18. Other than that you did a great job!
Questions.

1. Do you amplify all of the separate files before you start editing?
It depends on the individual files, if they need it or not. I generally play it by ear. Sometimes I amplify, sometimes I may deamplify if I think it is too loud. But I don't think that everything has to be exactly the same volume.
2. I assume you use Audacity to do your editing. When you open multiple files, is there a way to keep the panes for each file from changing? I would have multiple files open, doing my copy and paste thing, with each pane adjusted so I could see what I needed to see, then I would click somewhere, and all of the panes would change, usually the height would shrink down. Aggravating.
Not quite sure what you mean here. I usually have them all opened to screen size and have to jump from one to the other. One thing I do do that helps, more so on a longer play, is after I copy the section I need to paste, I also cut it out of the file, so that I always have the next line for that particular character the first thing in that file. Make sense? It can also be undone..
3. Is there an easy way to identify each file that is open in Audacity? i.e. top left of the file that is currently open, I can see |X history play ▼| right above "Mono, 44100Hz" I can click on the ▼ and select name. Just wondering if there is an easier way to do this.

I tried using the labels function, but was not successful.
When I have a bunch of Audacity windows open at once, I'll just hover over the icon on the taskbar, and they pop up as little windows, and I can read each title at the top before I choose the one I need. But I'm on Windows 7, and that is how it works for me. I don't know what operating system you use, it may be different.

Everyone edits plays in different ways, I suppose. I guess it is with whatever works for the individual person!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
francesb

Post by francesb »

Hi! I was wondering if i could read for: Fourth Boy, Boy and Speaker?

This is one of my first recordings, so let me make sure of somethings:
I record each line separately
I leave a 5 second pause after each line

Thanks!

Frances :D
Frances Brown
“Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Hi Frances,

Welcome to LibriVox! I've signed you up for those parts. Since all these characters are in the same play, if you could try to make each sound slightly different from each other that would be great, but please don't feel pressured to do so! Yes, there should be a few seconds between each line. Also, each characters lines should be in a different file!

Please read the first post of this thread carefully.

Please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal web site/blog.

Also, since this is your first recording, we ask that you send in a 1-minute test recording. This is not an audition, it's just to make sure the sound quality and the recording settings are all right - often things can be improved at the outset that are difficult to fix later. Please go to this wiki page to find out what to record for your 1-minute test, and how to upload the recording. In the LibriVox Uploader, please select 'tests - tests' from the MC drop-down, and then post your test recording in the Listeners Wanted forum, rather than in this thread - you'll get feedback more quickly there. ]

Thanks and have fun!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
francesb

Post by francesb »

Just one more question:

Is the "speaker" in more than one part? I read through some of it and it seemed like he/she was.

Frances Brown
Frances Brown
“Maybe our favorite quotations say more about us than about the stories and people we're quoting" -John Green
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

francesb wrote:Just one more question:

Is the "speaker" in more than one part? I read through some of it and it seemed like he/she was.

Frances Brown

It looks like the speaker is in Act 2 and 3 of the George Washington play. :-)
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
francesb

Post by francesb »

Thanks a bunch Maria! :mrgreen: Sorry to keep bugging you, but I made the test recording on Audacity and tried to upload it, but it saved as .aup instead of .mp3. The wiki link just said it would automatically save it as an .mp3 but....

Thanks again, :D
Last edited by francesb on January 11th, 2013, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frances Brown
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

francesb wrote:Thanks a bunch Maria! :mrgreen: Srry to keep bugging you, but I made the test recording on Audacity and tried to upload it, but it saved as .aup instead of .mp3. The wiki link just said it would automatically save it as an .mp3 but....

Thanks again, :D
Hi Frances,

Did you download and install the Lame Encoder? You need to do that in order to export it as an mp3. Here are a couple of pages to help you out.
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_1-2-3
http://manual.audacityteam.org/o/man/faq_installation_and_plug_ins.html#lame

Let me know if you have any trouble - or you can always ask in the help wanted section!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
francesb

Post by francesb »

No I didn't install that but am doing it now. Thanks Maria!
Frances Brown
francesb

Post by francesb »

Oh and my catalog name can be Frances Brown. :)
Frances Brown
francesb

Post by francesb »

And, by the way, I can read for some other people, if you want me too.
Frances Brown
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

francesb wrote:Oh and my catalog name can be Frances Brown. :)
Great! Here is your catalog page: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=8009
It is a good way to keep track of what you signed up for and completed!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks
m8b1
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by m8b1 »

francesb wrote:And, by the way, I can read for some other people, if you want me too.
Sure ~ I believe there are some empty slots in Plays 6, 10 and 11. The only thing I would prefer, is that if you do choose to do two characters in one play, that they do not "talk" to each other in it!
Maria
------
Readers Wanted:

---
Catholic Audiobooks