[COMPLETE] The Book of Politeness by Elisabeth Celnart - kd

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
jolieodell

Post by jolieodell »

Howdy, folks!

Section 3 (3:47) is here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/bookofpoliteness_03_celnart.mp3

Section 12 (33:56) is here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/bookofpoliteness_12_celnart.mp3

I hope it's alright! Please let me know if it needs any changes. I'm happy to make adjustments or re-record, or to simply do things better next time!

May I read parts 16- 19 next, please?
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

jolieodell wrote:Howdy, folks!

Section 3 (3:47) is here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/bookofpoliteness_03_celnart.mp3

Section 12 (33:56) is here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/bookofpoliteness_12_celnart.mp3

I hope it's alright! Please let me know if it needs any changes. I'm happy to make adjustments or re-record, or to simply do things better next time!

May I read parts 16- 19 next, please?
Thanks Jolie! And congratulations on your first recordings! I'll go sign you up for those other sections.
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Thanks Jill!
What am I up to?
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Well, now that we've been moved to Readers Found, section 05 has been reopened. I'll go advertise in orphaned chapters!
What am I up to?
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi Libby,

I would like to claim section 05.

Best wishes,
Lori
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Lorry wrote:Hi Libby,

I would like to claim section 05.

Best wishes,
Lori
Absolutely!
What am I up to?
Lorry

Post by Lorry »

Hi Libby,

Section 05 is complete. Here is the url:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/bookofpoliteness_05_celnart.mp3
Duration 20:46

Best wishes,
Lori
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Here is section 11 (24:24):

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/bookofpoliteness_11_celnart.mp3

Please let me know if any changes need to be made. Thanks!

Jill
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

Thanks Lori and Jill!
What am I up to?
johntkucz

Post by johntkucz »

34:55
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/kd/bookofpoliteness_08_celnart.mp3

didn't plan to rant......(prob shouldn't have posted this but whatever just spoke mind).
ahhh jeepers that feels good to have that completed.
I am normally very selective about readings to ensure I like the material (as that makes for more personally enjoyable reading and natural enthusiasm from interest in the material often acoustically can be heard; also, when interested in the material I have to stop less and delete snippets because less vocal stumbles)...but Bloody heck this recording (an exception from some others) was bloody wretched!

About every 3 sentences I was almost sickened all the like stifled crap (waiting not 2 but 3 times to say 'i should really go' and being told it's okay to then understand that it's okay to stay a bit or some rubbish and all the hokeyness with the different types of cards and servants and ante-chamber. bloody hell. this really pissed me off. what a waste of life all that excessive politeness. so bloated.

this was vexing for reasons listed but also because I think I personally have been overly-polite or felt trapped by politeness. But i like being courtesy but all those heinously stupid protocols were absurd. couldn't believe someone had the a)audacity and b)stupidity to write something like. Was thinking of people whom read and followed that being like 'hhmmm did the person we visited take or hat yet? if not, I can't remove hat, or some other stupid protocol. I guess some of those protocols still sorta have shadows in present times in ways but seems like those just mucked things up. all the leaving cards at doorsteps and different coloured cards for mourning and half-mourning? WTF?!! that's so stupid, basically sounds like a book for people who want to waste their life, worrying about if they can sit down or stand up, attending funerals (literally! seriously!) and just stuckness. strangely I am so polite that I often wait around for odd things out of propriety (whcih annoys me).

I guess that material vexed me so because I felt not pinioned by over-politeness at times in the past, but like recognized that I would do something awkward out of politeness at times, or maybe it's rather that I am concerned about those stupid 100% illogical (those things are fabricated, made up by that author and having different coloured mourning cards and waiting 3 times to stay or whatever are totally lacking anything reasonable) politeness things. a large portion of people couldn't have done those things?!! I would have emotionally imploded and exploded simultaneously probably. I like practical thigns that have a usage. It was basically a book on how to turn oneself into a piece of rubbish wallpaper or a piece of potpouri; very dehumanizing or something felt that was or something. I mean being 'rude' is not akin to being 'one self' but shoving interactions through all those unfathomably useless social protocols is just insanity. it seemed like some drunken programmer programming social interaction rules that are just loony. this was distressing at times. But that was just absurd extreme. I guess it also was agitating that all those stupid protocols have nothing to do with kindness or evcen helpfulness just seemed the only consequence would be just trepidation and worry and I have had enough of that! heinously violating to a human seemed.

anyways, normally have never ranted about material, was just shocked and apalled at some of the stuff in that book.

I liked recent Dumas 10 years and wonders of hte jungle. Did best to focus on this recording.
I have never (afaik) been critical of material I read for a recording but this stuff was horrendous. If do future recordings will skim material more first. I loved, in contrast, the wonders of the jungle recording. yay.

anyways. mp3 uploaded.
  • "everything" site for past 8 years==
  • my tech site (using a pseudynm for reasons I have yet to undersand)-- (I obviously have "name" issues lol!, but love tech)
  • twitter me timbers--
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can I make a point about "cards"?
They were used, mainly by upper class ladies, in the Victorian and Edwardian eras. They were kind of like business cards. If you went to someone's house and they weren't in, you'd leave them your card. Most cards didn't have writing on, so you could tell why the person had come to visit depending on their card (eg, if the bottom left corner was folded, it meant farewell)

In many ways, it isn't ridiculous. It is like an answer phone message!

(Please remember that this book reveals a lot about what society would've been like then, and the pressures on people to get it right. Oh, and if anyone doesn't enjoy a section that they claimed, the can always orphan it. It isn't giving up, and there's no harm done)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

I'm so sorry you didn't enjoy recording your section, John. Remember that we're all volunteers here, and you really don't have to read anything you don't like; LibriVox should be fun! I know that a lot of things in this book seems very silly to us; I find it interesting from an anthropological standpoint, as catrose does. Remember that this book is for upper class women who had very little to do with their lives and so developed a very detail-oriented subculture. Thank you for persevering with the recording and I wish you luck in finding other books more to your taste.
What am I up to?
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

To all interested parties: Section 09 has been orphaned!
What am I up to?
KiltedDragon

Post by KiltedDragon »

Hey John, I am sorry your section disappointed you so. However, how about next time you just let us know you really don't like the section and just let us orphan it; don't feel like you have to record it just because you claimed it. I would rather you orphan it than get yourself all worked up over it and post a rant like that. Also, I just wanted to point out the title of the book we are working on here.
Barry
My Recordings
Darn stuff! I have books to read!