COMPLETE: The Law Against Lovers by William D'Avenant - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

The Law Against Lovers by William D'Avenant (1606 - 1688) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-law-against-lovers-by-william-davenant/
The Law Against Lovers was a dramatic adaptation of Shakespeare, arranged by Sir William Davenant and staged by the Duke's Company in 1662. It was the first of the many Shakespearean adaptations staged during the Restoration era. Davenant was not shy about changing the Bard's work; he based his text on Measure for Measure, but also added Beatrice and Benedick from Much Ado About Nothing — "resulting in a bizarre and fascinating combination." He made Angelo from the former play, and Benedick from the latter, into brothers. The comedy of Pompey the clown and Elbow the constable is excised. Angelo doesn't really try to seduce the virtuous Isabella; he merely tests her commitment to chastity and virtue, like a protagonist in a John Fletcher play. Beatrice has a little sister named Viola, who sings and dances. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/dramaticworks05dave

NOTE: Beatrice, Benedick, Lucio, and Viola sing a song at the beginning of Act 5. I've recorded it here: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/lawagainstlovers_song_5.mp3. Please sing both your character's verse and all of the choruses, please. If you could upload the song as a separate file that would be great (using your character's name as part of the file name). :)
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

======================================================

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =======================================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.

Please leave 2-3 seconds of silence in between each of your character's lines.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Act [#] of The Law Against Lovers , by William D'Avenant . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of The Law Against Lovers , by William D'Avenant .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 lawagainstlovers_role_#.mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can you suggest something for me? (I have read through the play. So many characters. Mental overload!) :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'd suggest Viola or Julietta for you - do you have a preference? (Viola has two songs; Julietta has none - if that matters.) :)
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

I'll take something! Depends on how hard the songs are :)
catrose

Post by catrose »

I'll have a go at Viola please (though I might give her back tomorrow if my efforts at singing fail! :lol:)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

JoFriday21 wrote:I'll take something! Depends on how hard the songs are :)
Oh, they won't be hard. If you're worried, I'll put you down for Julietta, who doesn't sing at all. :) Thank you!
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

catrose wrote:I'll have a go at Viola please (though I might give her back tomorrow if my efforts at singing fail! :lol:)
I'm sure you'll be fine. You can speak-sing the Act 3 song if you'd like, and I'll be sure to make the Act 5 song simple. :) Thank you!
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

I'll take Isabella, then, if she's still available!
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

gloriana wrote:
JoFriday21 wrote:I'll take something! Depends on how hard the songs are :)
Oh, they won't be hard. If you're worried, I'll put you down for Julietta, who doesn't sing at all. :) Thank you!
Works for me! :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

musicalheart1 wrote:I'll take Isabella, then, if she's still available!
Yes - thanks!
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

I don't know this play...please put me in wherever I'm needed!

Thanks,
Grace
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

hggarrett wrote:I don't know this play...please put me in wherever I'm needed!

Thanks,
Grace
Thanks, Grace - I've put you down for Francisca/Nun. Unless you'd prefer a larger role, in which case please feel free to choose one of the male roles. :)
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

What a totally bizarre play! May I read Angelo?
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

wildemoose wrote:What a totally bizarre play! May I read Angelo?
Of course - thank you! Yeah, this is a weird one, but pretty fun. :)
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Hi Elizabeth,

Quick question as I'm going through and trying to find all my lines.

In Act IV (can't find what scene), Isabella and Julietta are talking and they go back and forth. The text has it as follows:

ISAB. Speak clearly then ! You are not under- stood.
May none do ill, that so they may do good? Nature no greater gift than life can give.
ISAB. By virtue we our nature long outlive.
Jul. Can it be virtue to let Claudio die?
ISAB. His life should not be sav'd by infamy.

It seems to me this is an error and it should read:

ISAB: Speak clearly then ! You are not under- stood.
Jul: May none do ill, that so they may do good? Nature no greater gift than life can give.
ISAB. By virtue we our nature long outlive.
Jul. Can it be virtue to let Claudio die?
ISAB. His life should not be sav'd by infamy.

Thoughts?