COMPLETE - The Journal of John Woolman by John Woolman - kiki

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

The Journal of John Woolman by John Woolman (1720 - 1772) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-journal-of-john-woolman-by-john-woolman/

This is an abandoned solo project opened up as a group project!
JOHN WOOLMAN was born at Northampton, N. J., in 1720, and died at York, England, in 1772. He was the child of Quaker parents, and from his youth was a zealous member of the Society of Friends. His “Journal,” published posthumously in 1774, sufficiently describes his way of life and the spirit in which he did his work; but his extreme humility prevents him from making clear the importance of the part he played in the movement against slaveholding among the Quakers. 1 During the earlier years of their settlement in America, the Friends took part in the traffic in slaves with apparently as little hesitation as their fellow colonists; but in 1671 George Fox, visiting the Barbados, was struck by the inconsistency of slave-holding with the religious principles of his Society. His protests, along with those of others, led to the growth of an agitation which spread from section to section. In 1742, Woolman, then a young clerk in the employment of a storekeeper in New Jersey, was asked to make out a bill of sale for a negro woman; and the scruples which then occurred to him were the beginning of a life-long activity against the traffic. Shortly afterward he began his laborious foot-journeys, pleading everywhere with his co-religionists, and inspiring others to take up the crusade. The result of the agitation was that the various Yearly Meetings one by one decided that emancipation was a religious duty; and within twenty years after Woolman’s death the practise of slavery had ceased in the Society of Friends. But his influence did not stop there, for no small part of the enthusiasm of the general emancipation movement is traceable to his labors. 2 His own words in this “Journal,” of an extraordinary simplicity and charm, are the best expression of a personality which in its ardor, purity of motive, breadth of sympathy, and clear spiritual insight, gives Woolman a place among the uncanonized saints of America. (Temporary Summary by The Harvard Classics)
  • Target completion date: 2013-Mar-31
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://archive.org/stream/Harvard-Classics/001_Harvard_Classics#page/n173/mode/1up
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:
    history, philosophy, religion

Keywords that describe the book:
    Journal; The Harvard Classics; Slavery; Quaker; Spiritual; Society of Friends; Colonial
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Journal of John Woolman . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Journal of John Woolman , by John Woolman . [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Journal of John Woolman by John Woolman . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Journal of John Woolman , by John Woolman . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename
    journalofjohnwoolman_##_woolman_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. journalofjohnwoolman_01_woolman_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader. Please note, the uploader has changed to:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: kikisaulite
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by dspurtz on December 23rd, 2012, 4:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

Please do a test recording. Information is here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

Also, this:
Reading a whole book, as many of us have discovered, is often more time-consuming than one thinks. We therefore strongly encourage you to read a chapter for one of our collaborative projects before you start a solo project -- you'll get feedback from experienced volunteers and an idea of the work and time involved in recording an entire book. You'll also get used to the LibriVox system of naming files etc, and you can sort out glitches with your recording equipment, if necessary. Here's our Readers Wanted section, where you can find books in need of ... readers: Readers Wanted forum
When you do start this project, you'll need a different introduction. This one is from a copyrighted source. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this to Book Suggestions, to keep the Launch Pad tidy. When you've gotten your feet wet with the test recording and (hopefully) a couple sections in group projects, post back here and one of the admins can move this back to the Launch Pad for you. :)
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

Tricia,

I will be completing the test recording and reading a section for another book tonight and tomorrow. Please move me to the "Going Solo" folder as soon as possible. I am very dedicated and passionate about reading this material in its entirety.

Thanks,
Devon
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Moving this back to the Launch Pad. After you get an MC and the Magic Window is set up, the MC will move it to Going Solo. :)
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

Great thanks! :wink:
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I'll MC this for you, Devon. Back with a Magic Window shortly.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

I see that Bartleby claim copyright on their transcription :roll: . The Harvard Classics edition is clearly in the public domain, having been published 1909 - 1914, but I am always wary of transcriptions which have a copyright notice, in case they have been edited in some way.

There are other Public Domain versions of this text available e.g.

http://www.gutenberg.org/files/37311/37311-h/37311-h.htm#A_JOURNAL_OF_THE_LIFE_AND_TRAVELS_OF_JOHN_WOOLMAN_In_the_Service_of_the

http://hdl.handle.net/2027/nyp.33433082418447

http://archive.org/stream/Harvard-Classics/001_Harvard_Classics#page/n173/mode/1up

Would you like to take a look at these to see if one of them would suit you?

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

The Magic Window is now up, and I will PM you a user name and password for use with it (and some brief instructions on how to use it).

I have filled in the first few titles. When you complete the titles, please preface each with the section number. Some players sort by the track title.

Ruth
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

Thanks Ruth! I chose the third one on your list and modified the posting. Since this is my first project my plan is to complete a couple chapters for other projects as advised and then begin this project within the next week or two.

I appreciate your help...I'm really looking forward to reading one of my favorite works for LibriVox :D

- Devon
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Great! We will stay here for a day or two, in case a dedicated proof-listener (DPL) happens by, then we will move off to Going Solo.

Ruth
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

My plan was to have it setup in exactly the same format as The Harvard Classics...introduction + 12 chapters + death = 14 total sections. Is that okay?

Thanks,
Devon
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Ah, OK. Sorry - I'll add another right now.

Ruth
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Oops. There is an introduction, isn't there? I will start at section 00 for that then, so that the chapters have corresponding section numbers?

Ruth
dspurtz

Post by dspurtz »

Thanks! I wasn't sure if the intro was included in the chapter listing or not...

- Devon