The LibriVox UK Chapter! Meeting to record.....

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I'm in the north east - Snaresbrook. We could put suggestions for readings here, too .. with suggested number of readers, too? I suppose we're aiming for perhaps 4-6 hours of recording ... and to complete the work/s in one session.

Peter
"I think, therefore I am, I think." Solomon Cohen, in Terry Pratchett's Dodger
alexfoster

Post by alexfoster »

Nottingham is also not a million miles from Shropshire / North Wales.

but you can't come here, it's too untidy!

If setting dates, you might also want to think about setting texts, or planning what to do. Some people will need prep time if they are to read.
[url]http://www.alexfoster.me.uk[/url]
Work in progress: [url=http://www.alexfoster.me.uk/podcasting]here[/url]
mattw

Post by mattw »

It's also too untidy here!

But I suppose if I tidied up, I do actually have four chairs these days.
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

I'm in the Rhondda Fach, about 11 miles (?) northwest of Cardiff. Going into London every couple of months sounds adventurous. Count me in!
Sandra
[color=purple]As usual, the grownup world made very little sense to me... (Manny Ellis,[i] Neighbourhood Tales[/i])[/color]
DSayers

Post by DSayers »

Sandra wrote:I'm in the Rhondda Fach, about 11 miles (?) northwest of Cardiff. Going into London every couple of months sounds adventurous. Count me in!
Way to go, wish I were there!

-denny
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

I suppose, given the weather in this strange country, we'd best avoid early spring, to make it easier for those who'd like to travel in. If we're going to have a meeting in May, for the international simultaneous meeting, our first could be mid-April, say Sunday 15th?

Peter
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

earthcalling wrote:I'll look at my diary over the weekend and propose a date, probably half-term.
Two dates for your diaries, folks, both hosted chez moi (SE London):-

Sunday 18th Feb

and

Sunday 1st April

I'll set up a wiki page where we can keep track of who's planning to be at each meeting, text suggestions etc.

As per Peter's note, it's understood that disruption to travel may prevent some people from coming who planned to. At worst, I can spend the day on solo recordings!

David

Woops, that was a little hasty. What I ought to have said was: These two dates are fine for me, and for me to host. I didn't mean to bulldoze through anyone else's ideas, particularly Peter's, who has also offered to host. So, Peter - If you would like to host either of these dates, or an alternative date close to either of these, please do. I'm just trying to strike while the iron is hot!
Peter Why

Post by Peter Why »

No, no; Your dates are fine .. on consideration, the 15th is getting too close to the internation meeting at the beginning of May, which it would be nice to take part in.

April 1st for preference, but either will do.

Peter
CarlManchester

Post by CarlManchester »

Hi David and everyone,

Doubt this is something I would have the time to take part in (except in spirit, obviously).

Would be nice to make some kind of thematic use of this nation of ours of which we are so rightly proud though, like doing Chaucer in Canterbury, Shakespeare in Stratford etc etc.

Just a thought. Expect in reality it will be more realistic to just go somewhere where a reasonable number of people agree to be. Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Carl.
American Psychology 1922-1947. It's the nearest thing to American Psycho that we are allowed to record.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

That's a brilliant idea, Carl. Thanks for throwing it in the pot. It's smething that will become feasible the more members we have here. Or as part of the Global Gathering.... An outing to Stratford.... Hmmm.....
alexfoster

Post by alexfoster »

I'll diary those dates - but can't make any promises. Depends how manic work is.

Thinking about texts: If meeting in London, we should something with strong ties to the capital. I was wondering about Pepys, but that might be difficult to read, and since it's not a play, would mean most people sitting around whilst one person read.

Thinking of plays,

How about John Gay's The Beggar's Opera? Gutenberg link

Might be a bit ambitious! The Gutenberg text helpfully doesn't include a character list. We probably shouldn't sing it without proper musicians present, but we could easily read the airs.

Excellent page about it on WP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beggar's_Opera

If we are to do it, it might be worth investing in / borrowing a set of play texts that has footnotes that explain some of the more impenetrable language - once the readers understand the words, they can make them make more sense when reading aloud.

This could be a big undertaking - might be worth NOT doing it for our first meeting?

Thinking about the technicalities of recording many people at once - we'll need a v good quality, omnidirectional mic, or lots of separate mics and a mixing desk.
[url]http://www.alexfoster.me.uk[/url]
Work in progress: [url=http://www.alexfoster.me.uk/podcasting]here[/url]
mattw

Post by mattw »

Looks like I might as well move to London for April... the 1st would put me in the dilemma of having to decide between staying somewhere until the 4th (I'm going to a concert at the Barbican on the 3rd), or travelling back and forth and back and forth... travelling would admittedly probably be cheaper, but perhaps I can manage to do something interesting in the intervening time.

And then I'm going back for another concert the following week! Mad, aren't I?

I'll figure out a way to make either date though, that won't be a problem.
trioptimum

Post by trioptimum »

Another one near Nottingham here... must be something in the water.
London isn't really practical for me, but I'm not sure I would particularly enjoy reading in a group anyway, I need lots of takes and I'm way too self-conscious :oops:
I'd love to meet everybody over drinks or some pub food sometime though.
Equipment: AT2020 mic, Audition CC on Mac, and peppermint tea :)

My Catalogue Page
My Tumblr
ductapeguy

Post by ductapeguy »

Might I suggest that instead of calling local Librivox groups/meetings "chapters" we refer to them as "guilds". It just sounds a little more 'classical' to my ears.

ie): The London Librivox Guild

Anybody up for a Central Ontario- Georgian Bay guild?
[size=84] Sean McGaughey
Librivox: [url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=231]Catalog[/url] | [url=http://ductapeguy.net]ductapeguy.net-- My music and podcasts[/url][/size]
Starlite

Post by Starlite »

ductapeguy wrote: Anybody up for a Central Ontario- Georgian Bay guild?
Guess I'm it Sean. :P

Unless some Tonotonians want in. :D
"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable
people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress,
therefore, depends on unreasonable people." George Bernard Shaw