Pipefuls by Christopher Morley - phi

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Pipefuls by CHRISTOPHER MORLEY (1890 - 1957) .

This Smokey Project is now complete and can be found in our catalog at http://librivox.org/pipefuls-by-christopher-morley/
A delightful collection of 48 essays on various topics of the human condition that caught his fancy. Witty, insightful and funny of course and on occasion thought provoking and even disturbing. From the preface "These sketches gave me pain to write; they will give the judicious patron pain to read; therefore we are quits. I think, as I look over their slattern paragraphs, of that most tragic hour—it falls about 4 p. m. in the office of an evening newspaper—when the unhappy compiler tries to round up the broodings of the day and still get home in time for supper. And yet perhaps the will-to-live is in them, for are they not a naked exhibit of the antics a man will commit in order to earn a living? In extenuation it may be pleaded that none of them are so long that they may not be mitigated by an accompanying pipe of tobacco." (Summary by phil chenevert)
Volunteers outside the USA: CHRISTOPHER MORLEY died in 1957. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955).
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/22699
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    thanks to jojowasaman as our DPL :clap: :clap:

=======================================================

Genres for the project:
    essay-short-nonfiction

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Pipefuls. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Pipefuls , by CHRISTOPHER MORLEY . [Chapter #, Title of Chapter]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter ##]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Pipefuls , by CHRISTOPHER MORLEY . "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    pipefuls_##_morley.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. pipefuls_01_morley.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: CHRISTOPHER MORLEY
    Album: Pipefuls

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: phi - philchenevert
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Okay Phil - hurry up with the MW so I can claim something! :D :D :D I'm really excited about this project!
~ Chessie Joy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

sonnethaiku wrote:Okay Phil - hurry up with the MW so I can claim something! :D :D :D I'm really excited about this project!
I admire your enthusiasm! But you don't need to wait, you can claim a section now at random or check out the book and see which one(s) you would like. :thumbs:
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Then please put me down for "Safety Pins" and whatever number 42 will be. :D

ETA: And "On Waiting for the Curtain to Come Up." But no more! I have enough to do and I cannot risk being swept away by enthusiasm at the critical juncture in RL! :mrgreen:
Last edited by sonnethaiku on December 4th, 2012, 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Chessie Joy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

sonnethaiku wrote:Then please put me down for "Safety Pins" and whatever number 42 will be. :D
Fine. You are now assigned sections 2 and 42. :D
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Okay, well, I don't mind doing section #2 as well. Image But I really would like to do #5, please.
~ Chessie Joy
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

sonnethaiku wrote:Okay, well, I don't mind doing section #2 as well. Image But I really would like to do #5, please.
Whoops! that was my mistake. I will change you to section 5 and delete 2. no problem.

EDIT: of course you may have as many as you wish.
Morlock

Post by Morlock »

I shall request section 12: Meditations of A Bookseller (though I may'nt deserve it.) :)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Morlock wrote:I shall request section 12: Meditations of A Bookseller (though I may'nt deserve it.) :)

HA. Of course you deserve it! Section 12 is yours to enjoy.
rkilmer

Post by rkilmer »

Phil,

May I read sections 18 (Joyce Kilmer) and 39 (Sunday Morning)?

Thanks,
Richard
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter." (Martin Luther King Jr.)
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

rkilmer wrote:Phil,

May I read sections 18 (Joyce Kilmer) and 39 (Sunday Morning)?

Thanks,
Richard
Yep, you certainly may Richard. Lucky you spoke up, I was looking at Joyce Kilmer myself but you have saved me from my myself. :D
jojowasaman

Post by jojowasaman »

I would like

7 - Moving

I am also interested in DPLing. But can I do that if I read a section or two?

—JJ
You can call me JJ or JoJo: either is fine.
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner. But he knew it wouldn't last... "Get Back," The Beatles
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jojowasaman wrote:I would like
7 - Moving
—JJ
Of course you can. We always try to have fun here. I will put you in as DPL and your job is to remind me to PL your when you upload your section(s). We NEVER turn down a volunteer. :thumbs:
jojowasaman

Post by jojowasaman »

philchenevert wrote:
7 - Moving
—JJ
Of course you can. We always try to have fun here. I will put you in as DPL and your job is to remind me to PL your when you upload your section(s). We NEVER turn down a volunteer. :thumbs:
yay! Okay, so plug me into number 7 in the MW, for reading, kind video man...
You can call me JJ or JoJo: either is fine.
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner. But he knew it wouldn't last... "Get Back," The Beatles
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

jojowasaman wrote:
philchenevert wrote:
7 - Moving
—JJ
yay! Okay, so plug me into number 7 in the MW, for reading, kind video man...
You are assigned 7 but please remember to say "don't forget to PL this Phil" when you upload it. My memory is not good. :D