IMPORTANT: LibriVox Planned Shutdown While We Move Servers

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
hugh
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by hugh »

Dear Everybody,

We are moving homes! All LibriVox systems are going to move from our current servers to a new home at the Internet Archive (thanks Internet Archive! and thanks to Syntenic for hosting us the past couple of years).

IMPORTANT!!: The LibriVox website and forum will be unavailable while we move. Please visit our Twitter feed for the latest information.

This thread is to explain our timeline and to host questions and answers. Please DO post below (or on the forum) if you have any questions! And after the move, please post here if you spot any glitches.

TIMELINE

* Done: Planning new set-up, implementation and preliminary testing.

* Done: Confirm dates with our sysadmin and our contacts at Internet Archive and current hosts.

* Weds 28th Nov, 10PM EST: Put up "closed for maintenance" page on our site while we move.
For the time in your area, check the worldclock.

* Thurs 29th Nov (evening EST): MC volunteers will test all systems. Once this is completed satisfactorily ...

* Fri 30th Nov (evening EST): All LibriVox systems back up and running!

Note this is not a simple process, so there might be some glitches. Don't panic if it takes a little longer.

Q&A

Q: Can I still listen to LibriVox books while the site is offline?
A: Yes! All our books will be available at archive.org as usual. You won't be able to use the LibriVox catalogue to find them, though.

Q: Can I post in the forum or read the wiki or website while the site is offline?
A: No. These will be unavailable while we move them.

Q: How can I find out how the move is going?
A: We'll post updates on Twitter as well as our page at the Internet Archive, which will be available throughout the move.

Q: What will be different once we've moved?
A: Nothing you will notice yet. Our aim right now is to keep everything the same, just in a new home. Our new website and improved process support software will be live in early 2013. Stay posted for more information about that!

Q: What shall I do while the site is offline?
A: Some recording, editing or proof-listening? Volunteer for whatever you think you can get through in a few days. Don't forget to download any necessary files before the site closes down! Don't overload yourself either, we won't be gone for long.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can we get updates via the Facebook group too please? :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Cori

Post by Cori »

As long as someone with the relevant FaceBook access (not I) watches the Twitter feed or pings one of us by email, then yes. :D

I don't imagine there's going to be a lot of actual news; as far as I can see this is well into the Realm of Deep Geekery, so there could be announcements all about how the dilithium crystals are doing and I wouldn't be any the wiser. Status updates are good, though.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

I can add the texts from twitter to the facebook page.
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
dejanristic1983

Post by dejanristic1983 »

Hi friends! Don't worry about books. There is also a site called Thought audio. You can also visit it and read books. The readings are performed by a man called Michael Scot. Librivox is going to sleep for a time and then wake up refreshed as ever. Let it be so. Be happy Librivox! Have sweet dreams from Wednesday till Friday!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Cori wrote:...there could be announcements all about how the dilithium crystals are doing...
Wait a second. Our new server is to be made out of the same thing that regulates the anti-matter-powered warp drives that allow starships to travel faster than light? That sounds epic! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

catrose wrote:
Cori wrote:...there could be announcements all about how the dilithium crystals are doing...
Wait a second. Our new server is to be made out of the same thing that regulates the anti-matter-powered warp drives that allow starships to travel faster than light? That sounds epic! :D
But we will now have to be on the watch for Klingons and other spacefaring renegades who will want to steal our dilithium crystals for their own nefarious purposes. :twisted:
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Cori

Post by Cori »

5 hours to go!

Is everyone claimed up, Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry scripts downloaded, all set?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

Cori wrote:5 hours to go!

Is everyone claimed up, Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry scripts downloaded, all set?
I think I'm gonna take the easy way out and extend the Poetry projects. :P
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
catrose

Post by catrose »

aradlaw wrote:
catrose wrote:
But we will now have to be on the watch for Klingons and other spacefaring renegades who will want to steal our dilithium crystals for their own nefarious purposes. :twisted:
HIv'a jabwI'! Oh no, a message from them, roughly translated as attach the server! Luckily, the super-hero Admins are here to protect us! :D

Well, enjoy your LV free days people. Do something productive maybe? I know I'll be seeing how many times I can click the refresh button in an hour, and hopefully Google will take pity on me and my computer will break. See ya real soon!
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

Good labors to all the folks who will be working on the server move behind the scenes. Thank you for helping make this place exist.
~ Chessie Joy
Cori

Post by Cori »

And now we're back! From outer space!
You just walked in to find me here with that glad look upon my face ...

Please flag any LibriVox weirdities here ... but the testers have done sterling work and I'm reckoning y'all won't find anything. ;)
notartom

Post by notartom »

Cori wrote:Please flag any LibriVox weirdities here ... but the testers have done sterling work and I'm reckoning y'all won't find anything. ;)
Verily. I'm going to pop in here and thank the testers. They've done tremendous work and are the reason everything works. I'll mention Ruth, Bart and Tricia by name because I've been communicating with them directly. It's unfair to the others, I know.

Special props to Jo though. Not so much because of the quality of her work - it's been great for everyone - but for the sheer amount of time invested in the original round of tests, which as far as I can tell she did alone.

And obviously Val did a great job coordinating everything. And Cori gets props for the awesome choice of welcome back lyrics right above.
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

Thank YOU, Artom. You have done an absolutely splendid job.

And thanks to Val, too.

The communication has been superb, which makes the world of difference. :clap:

And Cori, now that darned tune is running through my head...

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Cori

Post by Cori »

Sorry, Ruth. Look it up on YouTube, skip to the last 15 secs of the song, listen once or twice. That might cure it. E. Nesbit said that songs get stuck because "you don't know the stopping part." I haven't had an earworm since reading that, to try it out on, but it sounds reasonable.

(Also; Edwardians got songs stuck in the brain! Who would have thought! Silly to think it's a modern phenomenon, I s'pose, but it hadn't occurred to me until she said it.)