What was your first LV listen?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
NinaBrown

Post by NinaBrown »

TriciaG wrote:I assume all our volunteers started as listeners, right?
Wrong! At least for me... I found reference to LibriVox in Aurealis Express newsletter (Aurealis is a speculative fiction Australian magazine), looked around the forums and loved the whole idea.
I've just downloaded my first LV listen - Mill on the Floss - it is our October bookclub book, and as I started a knitting project I think these two will go happily along. And as my bookclubbers are traditional mob who prefer paper books I love to shock them with 'new' - and free - ways of reading :shock:
-nina-
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

I wasn't a listener first either. I have a friend who loves audiobooks and suggested I record something for him to listen to. I recorded an Edgar Allan Poe story for him. (Using my laptop built-in mic and 'sound recorder'. One take, no edits. I cringe to listen to it now!) That got me hooked on recording and a search on the net brought me here. :)
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
aidanbrack

Post by aidanbrack »

For me it all sort of started in an audio binge (listening to several while on a holiday) but of the early recordings I listened to, I think the first was either the wonderful Tom Brown's Schooldays reading, which had been one of my favorite stories growing up, or the excellent Merry Adventures of Robin Hood. :)
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

I think the first one I listened to was the adventures of Sherlock Holmes. My brother put it on a CD for me cause' I did not have much time on the computer until recently. I have probably listened to about a hundred books over the past two or three years, as well as reading a lot :mrgreen:
~Tiffany
Debmiester

Post by Debmiester »

I was about to brag that I was not a listener as well because I was looking for free books to read and found Gutenberg.net for a few freebies. Their volunteer opportunities lead me to LV and I was hooked instantly and started proof listening while waiting for my 1-minute test to be okay. But reading over these posts, I remembered that I'd found the KJV bible online in audio and had listened to John and Romans and (HA) can't remember where I got the audio copy.

:clap:

Deb
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Margaret's recording of Harry Leon Wilson's Merton of the Movies.

And it's still one of my favorites. :thumbs:
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
jojowasaman

Post by jojowasaman »

My first LV listen was the dramatic reading of Pygmalion. I downloaded it in February, when I was studying that play and comparing a half dozen versions. Many, probably, most versions change the ending—to make it more "love-story like." Yay for LV for sticking to the text! Therefore maintaining the author's intended meaning. And congratulations for putting together such a marvelous reading of it!

:clap:
You can call me JJ or JoJo: either is fine.
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner. But he knew it wouldn't last... "Get Back," The Beatles
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

I actually hated my first LV listen (I won't mention what it was specifically) but it was a group project, and in chapter 3 or so, the reader decided to add lots of freaky special effects and nearly inaudible reverb to a character's voice. I tried to brave through it but it gave me the utter willies. This was in late 2008 and I did not visit Librivox again until May or so of 2010.

In 2010, I found Ray Clare's many lovely and sensitive readings of Chesterton's works, and I went on a total binge. I've been listening steadily ever since, and exponentially since June 2012.

~ Chessie Joy
~ Chessie Joy