COMPLETE: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare - choc

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
catrose

Post by catrose »

Romeo and Juliet (Version 4) by William Shakespeare (1564 - 1616) .

This project is complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
https://librivox.org/romeo-and-juliet-version-4-by-william-shakespeare/

Two households, both alike in dignity,
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-cross'd lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Do with their death bury their parents' strife.
(Summary from the Prologue)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://shakespeare.mit.edu/romeo_juliet/index.html
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    fiction, play, romance, tragedy

Keywords that describe the book/play:
    romeo; juliet; montague; capulet; rose; balcony; love; rivalry; shakespeare; play; tragedy; fate; librivox; audiobook; dramatic
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Act [#] of Romeo and Juliet (Version 4) , by William Shakespeare . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Romeo and Juliet (Version 4) , by William Shakespeare .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 romeoandjuliet_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: chocoholic
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by catrose on November 30th, 2012, 10:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
catrose

Post by catrose »

I honestly couldn't wait (sorry Arielle) :)

I was meant to launch this this weekend, but ah well, all the preparation work is done ;)
I shall DPL and BC and edit this. We've just started reading this in school, ready for a four hour exam later this year (though rumour has it, they're moving it forward :shock: ) And one way that I thought would give me information on the text AND would satisfy my Librivox cravings without getting in the way of school was this! :D

Arielle has agreed to MC and she's reading Nurse. I'm reading Juliet, and that leaves loads of characters left ;)

Excited as ever,
Cat :D

EDIT: I would ask people not to volunteer until the MW is up and ready :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

I'm supposed to be working but I will take a break and set this up for you, Cat. :)

ETA: All set!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Thank you Arielle! You're the best! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

mb

Post by mb »

Feel free to put me down for anyone you'd like but Paris - I played him in a previous version.
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

Cross-gender casting OK?
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
catrose

Post by catrose »

mb wrote:Feel free to put me down for anyone you'd like but Paris - I played him in a previous version.
I do like filling the MW up from the top - Romeo? :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

catrose

Post by catrose »

Hobbit wrote:Cross-gender casting OK?
Yes, of course! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

catrose wrote:
Hobbit wrote:Cross-gender casting OK?
Yes, of course! :D
Well, then, I was going to say Romeo, but if mb's going to do that then can I be Mercutio?
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
catrose

Post by catrose »

I've put you down as Mercutio, Eden, only because I think I'd love to hear you read Queen Mab! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'd like to read either Lady Capulet, if you want traditional casting, or Friar Laurence. Either is fine with me. :)
catrose

Post by catrose »

gloriana wrote:I'd like to read either Lady Capulet, if you want traditional casting, or Friar Laurence. Either is fine with me. :)
Can I leave the choice up to you? I'm perfectly happy with either :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Lady Capulet, please. :)
catrose

Post by catrose »

gloriana wrote:Lady Capulet, please. :)
Done! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

mb

Post by mb »

Okay, thanks! Wish me luck!