LibriVox monthly statistics

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

You can see here how remarkably consistent the percentages have remained. Of course, this is only based on the sections recorded, and as we all know, a section can be anything from a 1 minute poem to 70 minutes of deep Greek philosophy. Still, it's interesting, I think, and encouraging (though to be expected, as time goes on) that there is an increase in the percentage of readers who have recorded over 200 sections (in number terms, 150 readers).

It does pose the question: just how can we encourage readers to stay and continue recording, and why do they not?

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Ruth san,

Good job.
RuthieG wrote: It does pose the question: just how can we encourage readers to stay and continue recording, and why do they not?
There's a big gap between a section in collections and a solo project.
I feel we need a new category for recordings between 10 minutes & 70 minutes.
For this category lots of things must be done by a reader not to increase MC's workload.
Completing one's own project gives a strong motivation to readears. So this new category
encorages readers.

Cheers,
Masa
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'm not sure what you mean by this ? Collections can have parts anything between less than 1 minute and over 60 minutes ?
As can all group projects.
As can all Solos - it is just in a Solo you have to read all of the parts.
You are in an unfortunate position , you are to all intents and purposes the only Japanese reader so group projects are not an option for you which is a shame because there are some big works that will never attract a soloist probably and so will not get done.
Many soloist enjoy a chance to read chapters for a group project - and it is a great way to start - sign up for a few chapters in a project where the author appeals to you - and then decide either that you couldn't bear to read a whole book written that way , or find another of the authors books and read it as a Solo.

Anne
Oxenhandler

Post by Oxenhandler »

ekzemplaro wrote:Hello Ruth san,

Good job.
RuthieG wrote: It does pose the question: just how can we encourage readers to stay and continue recording, and why do they not?
There's a big gap between a section in collections and a solo project.
I feel we need a new category for recordings between 10 minutes & 70 minutes.
For this category lots of things must be done by a reader not to increase MC's workload.
Completing one's own project gives a strong motivation to readears. So this new category
encorages readers.

Cheers,
Masa
Hello Masa san

I enjoy reading your thoughtful posts. I have been thinking about many of the same issues. Graphing projects sections under ten minutes separately is excellent.

The numbers in the charts here reflect the total so far such that the 2012 numbers include the 2010 numbers. I would like to know how many readers comprised 100% of readers in October 2010 as compared to October 2012 and how many sections or more telling, hours recorded in those months (or any of the same two months in those two years). My hunch is both the number of readers and the number of hours recorded is less now than it was two years ago.

Cheers
Peter
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I would agrre that productivity can not be measured by using numbers of "chapters" recorded it - we need the hours of recording . But we don't have it in the database anywhere - so at the moment we can't.
Even then it is not quite fair - how do you compare 30 mins of a fairy story with thirty minutes of middle English ? That was the best example I could think of but I think it shows what I mean.
It would be nice to have all these things - but it probably wouldn't lead to one more book being produced.
Unless you believe all our readers pick short easy reads to get their statistics high ? I think they are smarter than that - and aren't here to come top of any sort of table. But I don't know. If anyone is Circe has lots of small parts which will boost your count :D . And I've a couple of small parts in the Christmas play.

Anne
RuthieG

Post by RuthieG »

My hunch is both the number of readers and the number of hours recorded is less now than it was two years ago.
'Hunches' are, with respect, absolutely worthless.

The number of readers continues to increase, it is only the percentages of readers who continue to record which remains constant. Ergo, the number of readers who continue to record is also increasing.

You cannot compare particular months in different years (or at least, you can, but it would be meaningless) because of other factors, such as our occasional clean-up months when we try to finish up lingering projects. There are also other factors which would need to be taken into consideration. We had horrendous problems in 2011 for instance, which you wouldn't know about, Peter, because you weren't here.

Suffice it to say that in October 2012, 1557 sections were recorded, totalling about 407 hours. 487 readers participated, though there is some duplication of readers who took part in more than one project. It really would have been too time-consuming to extract the number of individual readers, though the data is all there on the catalogue pages if you want to do it. 45 of the 82 projects catalogued were solo recordings.

Year on year, LibriVox has continued to grow, with increasing numbers of readers and books catalogued, and improved audio quality. That is good enough for me.

I am beginning to get a bit cross with this thread, so am now leaving it, and going to make recordings, which is, after all, what it is all about.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

In November, we cataloged 81 books!

Our numbers currently look like this:

Total number of projects 6757
Number of completed projects 6157
Number of completed non-English projects 888
Total number of languages 35
Number of languages with a completed work 33
Number of completed solo projects 2732
Number of readers 5461
...who have completed something 5351

The total number of books completed in 2012 is now 983!
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Carolin wrote:These are the numbers per year:

2005 30
2006 358
2007 726
2008 884
2009 1018
2010 1076
2011 1084
Waiting with bated breath to see if we will set a new record for 2012 . . . :shock:
Last edited by MaryAnnSpiegel on December 29th, 2012, 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

would you like to know the current figure for 2012 today or would you like to be surprized on the 1st of january? :)
Carolin
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Lets wait till the right date

Anne
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

In December, we cataloged 86 books!

Total number of projects 6844
Number of completed projects 6245
Number of completed non-English projects 903
Number of languages with a completed work 34
Number of completed solo projects 2769
Number of readers 5496
...who have completed something 5405

In total, we have cataloged 1071 books in 2012!

Congratulations everyone, and a happy new year!
Carolin
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Awesome :clap:

Happy New Year!
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

everyone forgot about the statistics for january, including me, but ava just reminded me of it accidentally in a different thread :D let me fetch the current numbers...
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

In January, we cataloged 89 books!

Total number of projects 6950
Number of completed projects 6351
Number of completed non-English projects 912
Number of languages with a completed work 34
Number of completed solo projects 2818
Number of readers 5570
...who have completed something 5474

So far, we have cataloged 107 books in 2013, which includes 18 books cataloged in february already!
Carolin
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Is it just me or is February really a very busy month? Whenever I access the main page I see 2 or 3 new works completed :shock:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS