Help me choose a new microphone

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Tonewise the Snowball and the C01U sound similar, the C03U is definitely richer. On the flipside, I could hear breathes on both the Samsons, but not the Snowball. Seems to have better built-in pop-screening? BTW, GuitarCenter has it for $99.99 right now.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
kristin

Post by kristin »

Yes, there was a lot more breathing noise on the Samsons. But general background noise was louder on the snowball. I liked the CO3U and didn't like it at the same time. It is richer, but it sounded kind of flat to me. I think I might still be leaning toward the snowball. I usually noise clean my files anyway. I found it on Amazon for $98.00 with the stand. (And it's so cute. :oops:)
kristin

Post by kristin »

Whee... I bought it. Or I should say my husband bought it for me for Christmas. Unfortunately it's too noisy here right now to record but I did a couple of tests even with some noise and I don't think it picks up quite as much surrounding noise as has been suggested. And it doesn't have the evil hiss I get with my headset mic. I found it at a local music store for $99 but the guy sold it to me for $95 including tax because it was the last one they had and it came with the stand. Oh, I forgot, it's the snowball. :D

(I do think I'll need a pop filter of some sort though. My p's are very p-poppy.)
kayray

Post by kayray »

Ooooooo cool! I was going to buy the Snowball but my husband talked me into a higher-end mic and USB audio interface. The Snowball is sooooooo cute. I can't wait to hear how it sounds!
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
a.r.dobbs

Post by a.r.dobbs »

Oh kristin, congratulations! I'm nearly finished listening to your marvelous milne mystery (redhouse), and I can't wait for the next solo project. I'm grateful you're so keen on mystery, my favorite genre.

Yippee yippee! A snowball at Christmas sounds just the thing!
Anita
kristin

Post by kristin »

And I don't even have to put it in the freezer to keep it from melting. :D

(Bit to much Christmas cheer tonight, as I'm desperately trying to get a bunch of cds burned of Red House for Christmas presents. I have a lot of aunts.)
kristin

Post by kristin »

Oh, and a big thank you to everyone who made recommendations and dug up links and reviews and everything. :D
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Thanks from me, too! I'm looking for a new mic for the new year, and received some Christmas cash from relatives, so the info here will come in quite handy!
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
kristin

Post by kristin »

Here's my first recording with the snowball and a little test I did. The only thing done to the file was to increase the volume of the recording, it was a bit quiet. Otherwise it's totally raw. I read a section of a poem twice, first with the logitech 350 usb and second with the snowball.

http://dav.earthlink.net/kristinlov/MegaMail/75699061fa80c97bdfbdaeaa926d2ee0
anna

Post by anna »

WOOOOOOW That sounds GOOD :D What a sound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Knowledge speaks, wisdom listens.
Kennis spreekt, wijsheid luistert.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Oh, my goodness -- that's *really* good! Yay, kristin!
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
sjmarky

Post by sjmarky »

Sounds even better than the Podsquod sample. And since it's cuter than the Samson, you'll look good while you record. (Very important - I always wear spats, myself.)
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page
Jazbees

Post by Jazbees »

Very nice indeed! I'm looking forward to visiting my local Guitar Center for some mic testing this coming week, and hope they have one of those Snowball units to try out.
Justin S Barrett
http://www.justinsbarrett.com/

Solo: The 116th Battalion in France | The Life of John Taylor
Cloud Mountain

Post by Cloud Mountain »

kristin wrote:Here's my first recording with the snowball and a little test I did. The only thing done to the file was to increase the volume of the recording, it was a bit quiet. Otherwise it's totally raw. I read a section of a poem twice, first with the logitech 350 usb and second with the snowball.

http://dav.earthlink.net/kristinlov/MegaMail/75699061fa80c97bdfbdaeaa926d2ee0
The second is clearly the richer sounding winner. The first slightly vacuous and with those ubiquitous logitech line-tapping sounds (quicet, but evident.)

Congratulations. You made the right choice and your recordings will be better than ever (as if they weren't better than better all along.)
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=254]Alan's LV catalog[/url]
msirois

Post by msirois »

I just ordered a Samson Q1U and a pop filter. It should arrive in a couple of days. I know it's a dynamic mic, not a condenser, but I think it will do. I was tired of wrestling with the Logitech 350 headset. It just didn't fit my head, und mit der sibillance und der popping I vuz goink crazy. This will be a lot more like my old radio days. I think I'll be a lot happier.

Now, should I re-record the first 31 chapters of Penguin Island with the Samson, or stick with the Logitech for the last 31 chapters? Hmmm . . .

:roll: :wink:

Michael
Last edited by msirois on January 9th, 2007, 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orato Ergo Sum.