[COMPLETE] Short Story Collection Vol. 053 - gu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
arden1066

Post by arden1066 »

thistlechick wrote: (This was recorded in two sessions under very different conditions so there is some background noise in the first 18 minutes or so of the recording. I don't mind the chirping crickets as atmosphere, so I didn't do any noise cleaning.)
:)

I've often been tempted to read something like Frankenstein or Dracula during thunderstorms, for the sound effects!

LOL

Thanks for the story!
I think I need a chinchilla!
my librivox page
Guero

Post by Guero »

darkhorse21 wrote:Perfect! I'll start with Rappacinni's Daughter. Just a few pronunciation questions before I begin; in the introduction of this story, there are various story titles listed, followed by abbreviations... I'm not sure what the abbreviations stand for.

For example:

Le Voyage Celeste de Fer, 3 tom.

"Tom" is one used often, there is also "vo" and "to" and they always have numbers before them. I would think "vo" would stand for "volume", though normally that would be "vol" (at least nowadays), and maybe "tom" is for "tome"? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks:)
darkhorse,

It looks like a French speaker would be the best person to answer your question. We have a specific forum thread dedicated to French-related questions. You can find it here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=40008. If you post your question there, one of our many French speakers will be able to help you.

Can you let me know how you would like your name to appear in our database? Some people use their forum name, some use their real name, others use a completely different name altogether. Here's an example of one reader's page so you can see what I'm talking about: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=7079

Thanks!
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
Guero

Post by Guero »

thistlechick wrote:Title: Autumn Holiday
Thanks, Betsie! I've added it to the MW. :thumbs:
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
darkhorse21

Post by darkhorse21 »

Guero wrote:
Can you let me know how you would like your name to appear in our database? Some people use their forum name, some use their real name, others use a completely different name altogether. Here's an example of one reader's page so you can see what I'm talking about: https://catalog.librivox.org/people_public.php?peopleid=7079

Thanks!

I'd like my real name used, please: Samantha Miles. As to the pronunciation issue, I'm thinking maybe I should leave out the introduction all together. I'm worried about the 60 minute limit, it is a really long story, and I'm not sure how long it will be once I've recorded it and edited it. The introduction isn't actually related to the content of the story itself, it's a bit of satire Hawthorne works in to poke fun at his own work and literary criticism, so I'm thinking it doesn't actually need to be in there. What do you think?
Guero

Post by Guero »

Samantha - Normally we don't condone changing or omitting text, but in this case I do agree that that first section is more of a preface. Prefaces are optional, so there is no problem with you leaving it out. :thumbs:
John
darkhorse21

Post by darkhorse21 »

John:

I recorded the story, but it clocked in at 70 minutes, even once I edited out my mistakes and long pauses. I suspect The Artist of the Beautiful would take a similar length of time, so I am going to find something else to read. Sorry to be such a pain.
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Hey, darkhorse, try playing with the Change Speed and Change Tempo filters on Audacity and see if you can get it to smoosh the length of your file down to a more manageable size (without making you sound like a chipmunk, of course). It's worth a try... don't forget to save a copy of the original before making changes =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
darkhorse21

Post by darkhorse21 »

thistlechick wrote:Hey, darkhorse, try playing with the Change Speed and Change Tempo filters on Audacity and see if you can get it to smoosh the length of your file down to a more manageable size (without making you sound like a chipmunk, of course). It's worth a try... don't forget to save a copy of the original before making changes =)

Thanks so much for the advice :) I cut off ten minutes but now I feel like it is a little overwhelming to listen to. Perhaps I will upload it later and see what the proof listener thinks, though. Anyway, if I can't use it for this project, hopefully I can use it for another one. I am new here and still getting used to the technology and everything, so it is all a learning process.
Guero

Post by Guero »

darkhorse - The 60 minute or less guideline is just a suggestion, not a requirement. As long as it is not too long to fit on a CD -- roughly 72 minutes -- it's fine. If speeding it up by 10 minutes caused your voice to sound strange, or for the pace to be much too fast, you could try being less aggressive about it. It would be a shame to have put all that work into the recording and not be able to use it. :(

Another option is to split it up into two parts. I see that we've done that with other stories in previous collections.
John
darkhorse21

Post by darkhorse21 »

I have it uploaded, without the speed change:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gu/shortstory053_rappacinnisdaughter_dh.mp3

It is 69 minutes 37 seconds, or 1:09:37
63.8 MB

Sorry, not trying to be aggressive. Just trying to do it right :)
Guero

Post by Guero »

No worries, darkhorse. :) I'll add it to the Magic Window now.
John
arden1066

Post by arden1066 »

darkhorse21 wrote:Ooh, I see there is already a Nathaniel Hawthorne story here, I'd love to add to that. How about Rappaccini's Daughter I'd love to read them.
Hey there - I did a paper on Rappaccini's Daughter when I was in college. :)

looking forward to listening to it! (even if it does clock in at 69 minutes...LOL!)

thanks for not uploading the "squeezed" version. :lol: I don't mind listening a little longer to a good story!
my librivox page
arden1066

Post by arden1066 »

Hi everybody -

wanted to let you know that my laptop DIED last week (the motherboard... :shock: ) and so I haven't been really able to listen to all of your marvelous stories.

I've borrowed one, so should be able to get back into the swing of things again here.

Don't know exactly what happened, it was fine, and then it wasn't. with no in between (and no dropping and so far as I can tell, no overheating.)

oh well...

anyway, sorry I've been so sporadic lately! You're probably wondering "jeepers, what's up with the PLer?"

catch ya later

Dolly
my librivox page
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

That's the problem of the electronic world Dolly. We expect everything to work, and we are depending on it to work but sometimes things will go wrong. I had a new Lap-top that broke down after a while and also blew my hard-disk due to a faulty motherboard.
Hope to see you in full swing soon again, and good luck.

Lars
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
Guero

Post by Guero »

Oh Dolly, I'm sorry to hear that. Computer issues can be very disruptive, can't they? Don't worry about hurrying to PL the outstanding stories. Go at your own pace. We're all volunteers so we understand. :)
John