I need help with Latin please!

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

One of my current sections has a long Latin quote in it. I gave it a try but it was total garbage I'm sure, as I know zero latin. I was wondering if any of you who can pronounce Latin would mind recording it for me,and then posting it here, or in the forum listed under my signature. With your permission, I will just edit in your recording to my section. I would really appreciate it if you could help with this. Thank you, Robert

Here is the quote to be recorded:

"Quid est cor purum? cui extoto, et pure sufficit solus Deus,
cui nihil sapit, quod nihil delectat, nisi Deus."

"Oh anima mea, abstrahe te ab omnibus. Quid
tibi cum mutabilibus creaturis? Solum sponsum
tuum, qui omnium est author creaturarum, expectans,
hoc age, ut cor tuum ille liberum et expeditum semper inveniat quoties illi ad ipsum venire placuerit."
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi Robert

Here are the passages you wanted read. I hope they fit your recording OK.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/latinforrhoffman.mp3

Best
Martin
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

MARTIN GEESON wrote:Hi Robert

Here are the passages you wanted read. I hope they fit your recording OK.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/latinforrhoffman.mp3

Best
Martin

Thank You Martin, I really, really appreciate that. It was going to be very embarrassing to say the least. Thanks. :)
michaelreuss

Post by michaelreuss »

Hi,

Like Robert I need some help with a few Latin footnotes from Burke's "Reflections on the Revolution in France"

I'll mimic all the single line parts, but would prefer to use the audio of someone who can actually speak Latin, rather than my poor mimicry for the longer sections, including the song verse and footnotes 95, 118 and 122. If you agree to allow me to use your audio directly, I'm doing a credits section at the end of the book, so please let me know to how you want to be referred and if you have a city name or URL you want included.

--------------------

Utinam nugis tota illa dedisset et tempora sævitiæ.

Privilegium non transit in exemplum

Condo et compono quæ mox depromere passim.

Illa se jactet in aula Æolus, et clauso ventorum carcere regnet.

"Quod illi principi et præpotenti Deo qui omnem hunc mundum regit nihil eorum quæ quidem fiant in terris acceptius quam concilia et coetus hominum jure sociati quæ civitates appellantur."

oras et littora circum.

They may, like him, begin by singing, "Beatus ille"—but what will be the end?
Hæc ubi locutus fœnerator Alphius,
Jam jam futurus rusticus,
Omnem relegit Idibus pecuniam,
Quærit Calendis ponere.

Omnes boni nobilitati semper favemus,"

Sed multæ urbes et publica vota vicerunt.

Cedo quî vestram rempublicam tantam amisistis tam cito?

Mais si maladia opiniatria non vult se garire, quid illi facere? Assignare; postea assignare; ensuita assignare.

Si isti mihi largiantur ut repuerascam, et in eorum cunis vagiam, valde recusem!

FOOTNOTES

[95] Sit igitur hoc ab initio persuasum civibus, dominos esse omnium rerum ac moderatores deos; eaque, quæ gerantur, eorum geri vi, ditione, ac numine; eosdemque optime de genere hominum mereri; et qualis quisque sit, quid agat, quid in se admittat, qua mente, qua pietate colat religiones intueri: piorum et impiorum habere rationem. His enim rebus imbutæ mentes haud sane abhorrebunt ab utili et a vera sententia.—Cic. de Legibus, l. 2.

[what is Cic. de Legibus? is that Cicerone de Legibus?]

[96] Quicquid multis peccatur inultum.

[118] "Si plures sunt ii quibus improbe datum est, quam illi quibus injuste ademptum est, idcirco plus etiam valent? Non enim numero hæc judicantur, sed pondere. Quam autem habet æquitatem, ut agrum multis annis, aut etiam sæculis ante possessum, qui nullum habuit habeat, qui autem habuit amittat? Ac, propter hoc injuriæ genus, Lacedæmonii Lysandrum Ephorum expulerunt; Agin regem (quod nunquam antea apud eos acciderat) necaverunt; exque eo tempore tantæ discordiæ secutæ sunt, ut et tyranni exsisterent, et optimates exterminarentur, et preclarissime constituta respublica dilaberetur. Nec vero solum ipsa cecidit, sed etiam reliquam Græciam evertit contagionibus malorum, quæ a Lacedæmoniis profectæ manarunt latius."—After speaking of the conduct of the model of true patriots, Aratus of Sicyon, which was in a very different spirit, he says,—"Sic par est agere cum civibus; non (ut bis jam vidimus) hastam in foro ponere et bona civium voci subjicere præconis. At ille Græcus (id quod fuit sapientis et præstantis viri) omnibus consulendum esse putavit: eaque est summa ratio et sapientia boni civis, commoda civium non divellere, sed omnes eadem æquitate continere."—Cic. Off. 1. 2.

[Again, what is the expansion of Cic. Off.?]

[122] "Non, ut olim, universæ legiones deducebantur, cum tribunis, et centurionibus, et sui cujusque ordinis militibus, ut consensu et caritate rempublicam efficerent; sed ignoti inter se, diversis manipulis, sine rectore, sine affectibus mutuis, quasi ex alio genere mortalium repente in unum collecti, numerus magis quam colonia."—Tac. Annal. lib. 14, sect. 27.—All this will be still more applicable to the unconnected, rotatory, biennial national assemblies, in this absurd and senseless constitution.

[123] Qualitas, Relatio, Actio, Passio, Ubi, Quando, Situs, Habitus.
Mike
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Mike.

I can read them for you. So, you want just the Latin read or also the name of the book, etc.? Also, the part about singing, do you want it just to be read or to be sung :shock: ?

Cic. de Legibus -> Cicero, de Legibus (On the laws)
Cic. Off. -> Cicero, De officiis (On Duties)
Leni
=================
michaelreuss

Post by michaelreuss »

Hi Leni, Thanks for the Latin help. You have many talents. ;-)

Yes, please read the book names (it's not necessary to read the chapter or page numbers), and just read the song verse. I don't know of any tune for it.
Mike
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Hi, Mike

Here it is. I hope it's ok, let me know if there are any corrections needed and all that. :)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/latin_for_mike.mp3
Leni
=================
michaelreuss

Post by michaelreuss »

Hi Leni, Thank you SO much for your Latin help. I've used your voice for the long footnote in Section 09, at the 14:27 mark, if you care to listen. I plan to use your recordings for several of the longer Latin parts in the upcoming sections. For the smaller parts, I'll use your recording as a pronunciation guide. I've been mangling the 'c' sound, among perhaps many others. I may have to go back to the previous chapters and check a few of the shorter Latin segments.
Mike
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

That's fine, thanks, Mike. You can use it however you find best, really. I haven't added the disclaimer in that recording, but it's in the Public Domain! :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Hello!

I am currently recording a solo book in English. One chapter has a few lines of verse from Virgil in Latin. I have no background in Latin and am wondering if anyone would be willing to help me with the pronunciation of it? Here is the verse:

Qualis spelunca subito commota Columba,
Cui domus, et dulces latebroso in pumice nidi,
Fertul in arva volans, plausumque exterrita pennis
Dat tecto ingentum, mox aere lapsa quieto,
Radit iter liquidum, celeres neque commovet alas.

Here is a link to the text I am using: http://archive.org/stream/cu31924090281373#page/n71/mode/1up

Any help you can give me would be very much appreciated!

Jill
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

You've missed my smart sticky at the top of the forum, so I merged your topic with the latin pronunciation help.
It might get you someone to answer faster (if they are still subscribed to the thread).
I might get to it myself tonight.
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

In haste -

Here's a link for the beautifully expressive LibriVox recording of the Aeneid by Malone:
http://librivox.org/aeneidis-libri-xii-by-publius-vergilius-maro

If you select Section 09 (Liber Quintus, pars prima), you'll find the quoted passage @ 19'27" through 19'53"

Best
Martin
jillebean

Post by jillebean »

Nadine -- I did indeed completely miss your sticky (although I do remember reading it a while back, just not when it became extra pertinent)! I apologize for that and thank you for moving my post over to the appropriate place. I didn't realize I had replies to it until just now when I thought to check back.

Martin -- This is exactly what I need! :clap: Thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. I am very appreciative of your help!

With gratitude,
Jill
Maskmaker

Post by Maskmaker »

Hi everyone

I hope someone might be able to help me. I'm about to record a section from David Hume's 'An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals', and I could really do with help on some Latin pronunciation. I want to do the best I can with this wonderful section of text.

I have the phrase:
LANIATA VESTE, FOEDUM SPECACULUM DUCEBATUR, MULTIS INCREPANTIBUS, NULLO INLACRIMANTE: deformatitas exitus misericordiam abstulerat

If at all possible I'd really value anyone's assistance, maybe in the form of a short audio example.

Thank you so much.
Anthony
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Maskmaker wrote:Hi everyone
I hope someone might be able to help me. I'm about to record a section from David Hume's 'An Enquiry Concerning the Principles of Morals', and I could really do with help on some Latin pronunciation. I want to do the best I can with this wonderful section of text.

I have the phrase:
LANIATA VESTE, FOEDUM SPECACULUM DUCEBATUR, MULTIS INCREPANTIBUS, NULLO INLACRIMANTE: deformatitas exitus misericordiam abstulerat

If at all possible I'd really value anyone's assistance, maybe in the form of a short audio example.

Thank you so much.
Anthony

Hi all--Anthony has been waiting for nearly 3 weeks now for a response. Unfortunately, I am one of those "under-educated" folks that would love to help, but cannot. Is there someone who could do a quick recording and post here for Anthony? Thanks! :)

ETA: I think that we have found a volunteer now who will assist us.
Kind regards,
Lucretia