[philosophy] Your Psychic Powers by Hereward Carrington -ba

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Your Psychic Powers and How to Develop Them by Hereward Carrington (1880-1959).
This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/your-psychic-powers-and-how-to-develop-them-by-hereward-carrington/
Instructions in how to develop your psychic powers including telepathy, clairvoyance, self-projection, reincarnation, and other topics. Seriously. "It must be distinctly understood … that I believe the vast bulk of the material presented in this book to be sound and helpful; the practical instructions are good, and the reader cannot go far wrong in following them. May he develop his own psychic powers, and gain light and understanding thereby!" (From Author’s Preface) (Summary by Todd and Preface)
ChuckW and ToddHW are going to co-BC and co-DPL this, with Chuck concentrating on the even chapters and Todd the odd ones.
Volunteers outside the USA: Hereward Carrington died in 1959. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, and Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955), unless you live in a country where the Rule of Shorter Term applies.
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/yourpsychicpowe00carrgoog
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

In addition to co-BCs, Chuck and I will be co-DPLs for this. If you want to see what we will be listening for, please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ forum! Our level of prooflistening will be: standard
    Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:
    advice, instruction, philosophy
    Keywords that describe the book:
    Psychic powers; Spiritualism; Self-improvement
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!
    Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of Your Psychic Powers and How to Develop Them. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Your Psychic Powers and How to Develop Them, by Hereward Carrington . [Chapter]"

For consistency, pronounce “Hereward” as HAIR-uh-ward.

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Your Psychic Powers and How to Develop Them, by Hereward Carrington . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!
    Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.
    Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    yourpsychicpowers_##_carrington.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. yourpsychicpowers_01_carrington.mp3)
    ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Hereward Carrington
    Album: Your Psychic Powers and How to Develop Them
    Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ba - bart
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by ToddHW on September 1st, 2012, 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

I'd be interested in this one, when it gets an MC!
:) Pamela Krantz
catrose

Post by catrose »

:lol: Hahahahahahahahaha! :lol: Stupid copyright making me unable to read or listen to a books that could really come in handy!

EDIT: oh wait! Gotta love Rule of Short Term! :D
Last edited by catrose on September 2nd, 2012, 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
bart
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by bart »

All ready to start recording.
Please let the claims come in!

Bart
Alle Nederlandstalige projecten op de Librivox Boekenplank
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Bart - many thanks for MC'ing this!

MW populated, and if that isn't a list of chapter titles calculated to attract attention, well, I don't know what would!

Thanks, Todd
catrose

Post by catrose »

Can I take Telepathy please? Wait... You're thinking.... Yes! :) Section 13, so that's you Todd (I might have to claim one of Chucks chapters too, to make it fair!)

Edit: I'll take The Human Aura too. What a load of mumbo-jumbo! :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

catrose wrote:Can I take Telepathy please? Wait... You're thinking.... Yes! :) Section 13, so that's you Todd (I might have to claim one of Chucks chapters too, to make it fair!)

You're in the system! I hope you learn something about developing your psychic abilities.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ChuckW wrote:
catrose wrote:Can I take Telepathy please? Wait... You're thinking.... Yes! :) Section 13, so that's you Todd (I might have to claim one of Chucks chapters too, to make it fair!)

You're in the system! I hope you learn something about developing your psychic abilities.
Ah-ha! I was thinking catrose was ready for graduate psychic studies when I logged in to enter her claims - and they appeared being completing before my very eyes! Wow!! There really is something to this stuff!!

Sadly, t'was just you, Chuck, with faster reflexes.... Alas.

Todd
catrose

Post by catrose »

:lol: You two should be a double act! :lol:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

I was thinking of reading for this...but isn't the rule of the shorter term irrelevant because the author isn't american?

ETA: Oh wait, wikipedia says he emigrated to the USA, does this mean that the rule of the shorter term does apply? :?
catrose

Post by catrose »

It must apply otherwise Bart wouldn't be able to MC :) (please let it apply)

EDIT: Tricia's just PM'd me to say that it doesn't have to be PD for the MC. Does anyone want to check whether it's short term or not? :)
Last edited by catrose on September 2nd, 2012, 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

OK - I said I was interested!

3 - Fear and How to Banish It
15 - Dreams
23 - Obsession and Insanity
33 - Reincarnation and Eastern Philosophy
35 - What Happens After Death
41 - Advanced Studies
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

pkrantz wrote:OK - I said I was interested!

15 - Dreams
41 - Advanced Studies
Are you really interested? Or did I just use my psychic powers to make you think you were interested? :twisted:

You're all signed up!

EDIT: Also, I just claimed the Preface!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
LibbyG

Post by LibbyG »

I was going to wait, but these are getting snapped up, so I'd like to read 11. Colour and Its Interpretation and 25. The Human Fluid (hopefully I can do that one with a straight face!)
What am I up to?
Amelia Vol. 2 - 10 sections open
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

ChuckW wrote:
pkrantz wrote:OK - I said I was interested!

15 - Dreams
41 - Advanced Studies
Are you really interested? Or did I just use my psychic powers to make you think you were interested? :twisted:

You're all signed up!

EDIT: Also, I just claimed the Preface!
Oh good grief - I fear I've taken 6 of them! Thought I was dreaming but it was really my obsession and insanity that led me to reincarnate after the death of me from all the advanced studies! :roll: