COMPLETE With Fire and Sword by Samuel H. M. Byers-ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

With Fire and Sword by Samuel H. M. Byers (1838 - 1933)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: http://librivox.org/with-fire-and-sword-by-samuel-h-m-byers/
Samuel H. M. Byers was an American poet, diplomat, and soldier in the Civil War. "In war some persons seek adventures; others have them in spite of themselves. It happened that the writer of this book belonged to a regiment that seemed to be always in the midst of great experiences. It was, in fact, one of the few regiments that absolutely fought themselves out of existence. It was mustered in a thousand strong; it lost seven hundred and seventy-seven men by death, wounds, and disease. The fragment that was left over was transferred to a cavalry command. When the writer finally escaped from prison, after many months of confinement and many thrilling adventures both in prison and in the army of the enemy, he was mustered out as a "supernumerary officer." His command had ceased to exist. He was literally the last man of the regiment.

He kept a diary every day in the four years of war and adventure. The substance of the facts related here is from its pages; occasionally they are copied just as they are there set down. The book is not a history of great army movements, it is simply a true tale of the thrilling experiences of a subordinate soldier in the midst of great events." (Summary from the Preface)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/40477
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Keywords that describe the book:
    Civil War; Union Army; General Sherman; Libby Prison; Vicksburg
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of With Fire and Sword. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " With Fire and Sword , by Samuel H. M. Byers . [Chapter]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of With Fire and Sword , by Samuel H. M. Byers . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    withfireandsword_##_byers.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. withfireandsword_01_byers.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Samuel H. M. Byers
    Album: With Fire and Sword

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Last edited by lubee930 on October 21st, 2012, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

I will need 20 sections here--one for the preface and then 19 other sections. I'm splitting a few of the longer chapters. (I'm never quite sure if I do it correctly in the template, so thought that I would clarify it up front... :roll: )
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hi lucretia, i can mc this for you. ill go get you a mw...
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

done!

you will see that the name of the project in the database (like in the magic window) is with fire and sword (byers). thats because we have a project with the same title in progress at the moment, but the author in that case is another :)

please let me know if you need anything!
Carolin
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Thank you, Carolin--I'll get the MW completed shortly. (I didn't realize that there was another "With Fire and Ice" title in the catalog because I only searched for the author Byers before I decided to start this project--! But I'm glad to see that it is not the same book.) :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi Carolin--

When I was completing the template for this project, I believe that I only checked "History" for the genre. But I think perhaps I should also have checked "Memoir" or "Biography" as well since the book is based upon a personal diary that the author kept during the Civil War. What do you think? I don't think that I can make that correction now--can you do it behind the scenes?

And now that I look, I don't even see the genre in the first post. Did I fail to click on a genre at all? :shock:
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

it was in there, but when i generate the database entry, i enter the genres, and when i replace the block of info with the magic window, i also delete the genres since they are done with as well. i already added biography when i set the project up, and i will now go and add memoirs :)
Carolin
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Lucretia,

I know my list is overflowing, but will you let me take the Preface? :mrgreen:
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Carolin wrote:it was in there, but when i generate the database entry, i enter the genres, and when i replace the block of info with the magic window, i also delete the genres since they are done with as well. i already added biography when i set the project up, and i will now go and add memoirs :)
Hi, Carolin--Sorry that I didn't think about it when I completed the template, so thank you for adding "Memoir"! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

JohanLiebert wrote:Lucretia,

I know my list is overflowing, but will you let me take the Preface? :mrgreen:
Hi, April--

Of course--I love to put that first reader into the MW, so thank you for claiming! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

moving us to readers wanted...
Carolin
J_N

Post by J_N »

May I have section 5? I need something short and quick :D
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

J_N wrote:May I have section 5? I need something short and quick :D
Hi, Julia--

Yes, we need to grab a short section every once in awhile! :thumbs: You are in the MW for Section 05--and thank you for claiming it.
Kind regards,
Lucretia
J_N

Post by J_N »

Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Thank you, Julia--that was speedy! :thumbs: Hope that we will have a DPL before too long.
Kind regards,
Lucretia