What was your first LV listen?

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

The Man Who Would Be King by Rudyard Kipling read by Philippa (russiandoll)

Listened to a few minutes of it and then immediately registered at LibriVox. Went back later that month and listened while driving. Drove around the city a little aimlessly in order to be able to finish the story. One of the best readings. Ever.
Guero

Post by Guero »

If I remember correctly, it was one of John Greenman's solos. Either Uncle Tom's Cabin or The Prince and the Pauper. Great way to start! :P
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Treasure Island version 1.

And now I've listened to them all!
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

My first (and only) listen, was several months after I began recording for Librivox. It was Arcadian Adventures with the Idle Rich, by Stephen Leacock. I had contributed a chapter and enjoyed it very much - so later, when I had some idle time myself, this was the book I chose. I was curious not only to hear the rest of the book, but wondered whether what we do here actually "works".

I had listened to many audiobooks by professionals, (Barbara Rosenblatt is my hero!) and the one book I had listened to that was a duet, was awful (Authors should never record their own works) so group projects seemed very counter-intuitive to me. I was happy to discover that the different readers didn't detract from the enjoyment of the story at all, and that what we do here does work. It was encouraging at a time when my newbie fervor was starting to flag, and sent me forth with renewed determination.

And the rest, as they say, is history.....

:wink:
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

My very first was: Lilith by George MacDonald, as read by Pete Williams

next one was: Brewster’s Millions by George Barr McCutcheon, as read by Lucy Burgoyne

next one: The Cinema Murder by E. Phillips Oppenheim, a group project

next: A Double Barreled Detective Story by Mark Twain, as read by John Greenman

next: Cleek: The Man of the Forty Faces by Thomas W. Hanshew, as read by Ruth Golding

and somewhere in the middle of listening to Three Men in a Boat (To Say Nothing of the Dog) by Jerome K. Jerome (group project) I decided to join librivox myself. :D
carolb

Post by carolb »

My first was Ruth Golding reading Grant Allen's 'The Woman Who Did'

Next - Samanem reading 'Perfect Behaviour' by Donald Ogden Stewart, very funny book!

Then Florence Scovel Shinn's 'The Game of Life and How to Play It' read by Amy Conger. I keep returning to this one.

I am unable to listen on my MP4 player, because a sentence will distract me, my brain goes off at a tangent and I miss a chunk. For some reason it's easier to concentrate if I just listen on my pc - it's like listening to the radio :?

Carol
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

jollyrogered wrote:Treasure Island version 1.

And now I've listened to them all!
If you like Treasure Island, you should be on the watch for the completion of the project referenced in my signature! :D
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

I am, in fact, postponing my "yearly listen" until your project is done Hobbitt.

I've been filling up the pirate-void in my life by listening to Sabatini's works. I just finished Captain Blood and am now listening to Scaramouche.

New.favorite.author.everrrrr. Perfect swashbuckling. YARRRR!
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

jollyrogered wrote:I am, in fact, postponing my "yearly listen" until your project is done Hobbitt.

I've been filling up the pirate-void in my life by listening to Sabatini's works. I just finished Captain Blood and am now listening to Scaramouche.

New.favorite.author.everrrrr. Perfect swashbuckling. YARRRR!
May I compliment you on your great taste in literature! I LOVE Sabatini, and Scaramouche is one of my top ten favorite books of all time! Wonder if it would work as a dramatic reading...
Between being a full-time college student and working 20+ hours per week, I'm not able to be involved at LV these days, but I remain a loyal fan and look forward to a triumphant return sometime in the (probably distant) future.
Moromis

Post by Moromis »

20,000 Leagues under the Sea.

Whiiich I'm still listening to. I thought listening rather than reading would make it better, but it's still fairly boring. Ah well.
Good on ya!

"If no one writes a book about you, you're doing it wrong."
(Doing what wrong?)
"Life."
Sue Anderson

Post by Sue Anderson »

I had bought an I-pod and was searching podcasts for "free stuff" that I could download and listen to on my morning walk, when I came across Librivox. The first book I listened to was Homer's Odyssey. Followed that with the Iliad, and then Frances Calderon de la Barca's Life in Mexico. All very enjoyable!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

My first listen was the second version of Treasure Island. http://librivox.org/treasure-island-by-robert-louis-stevenson-2/
My kids and I listened to it in the car before school and we loved it, especially the pirate songs! This was a great reading!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
Hobbit

Post by Hobbit »

icequeen wrote:My first listen was the second version of Treasure Island. http://librivox.org/treasure-island-by-robert-louis-stevenson-2/
My kids and I listened to it in the car before school and we loved it, especially the pirate songs! This was a great reading!
Maybe you'd also enjoy the upcoming dramatic version. See my signature. (And yes, I'm promoting shamelessly. :lol: )
VictoriaBMartin

Post by VictoriaBMartin »

First of all, my younger brother was listening to Mark Twain's classics read by Annie Coleman, and then I myself listened to the dramatic reading of Little Women. You had us hooked! :)
~A Friend, Victoria
Enjoy adventure, suspense, and romance? Claim a chapter in The Scarlet Pimpernel!
L.M. Montgomery fan? help read Rilla of Ingleside.
I will be on vacation from Oct. 10-19, and will have no access to the internet.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Looking for free audiobooks, I downloaded Fanny Herself by Edna Ferber. A wonderful book and read beautifully.

Uh ... and somehow it kinda escalated from there. :roll:
Peruvian owls always hunt in pairs because they are inca hoots.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk