COMPLETE: Ivanov by Anton Chekhov - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Miss Avarice

Post by Miss Avarice »

Hi, I speak Russian (though not fluently). Russian is really hard to transliterate into English, since the alphabet is really whacky sometimes. There are two letters for what is usually transliterated as "e", which are typed е & э. "e" is actually the "yeh" sound, while "э" is the "eh" sound.

Going to translate.google.com and putting in the Cyrillic names is probably how you'll get closest to the actual pronunciation. For instance, Lebedev is pronounced close to Luhyeh-byeh-DYEV. Do you want me to record my best attempts at all of the names? I'm working based off of the original Russian -

Иванов Николай Алексеевич (Ivanov Nikolai Alekseyevich)
Анна Петровна (Anna Petrovna)
Шабельский Матвей Семенович (Shabelskii Matvei Semenovich) -- looks like his name was changed to Matthew
Лебедев Павел Кириллыч (Lebedev Pavel Kirillych)
Зинаида Савишна (Zinaida Savishna)
Саша (Sasha)
Львов Евгений Константинович (Lvov Evgenii Konstantinovich)
Бабакина Марфа Егоровна (Babkina Marfa Yegorovna)
Косых Дмитрий Никитич (Kosyh Dmitrii Nikitich)
Боркин Михаил Михайлович (Borkin Mikhail Mikhailovich)
Авдотья Назаровна (Avdotya Nazarovna)

It seems as though some of the names have been Anglicized (Petr -> Peter for instance).

If someone who is fluent comes by they can help you more, but I can record my best effort as well. You can try copy-pasting them into Google Translate to get an idea of how to say them.
Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.
- Lady Lazarus, Sylvia Plath
mb

Post by mb »

Thank you so much - I should have thought of that. I'd love whatever you could contribute, please!
Miss Avarice

Post by Miss Avarice »

Where should I upload my recording?
Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.
mb

Post by mb »

Elizabeth's our MC, so her folder would be perfect, I think - ek. Thanks!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Could I read Section 3 or 4, please? Your choice, mb. Otherwise I could have a go at the exciseman.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Miss Avarice »

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/russiannames.mp3

Here's my best attempt. I basically read off the list I previously wrote down.

Иванов Николай Алексеевич (Nicholas Ivanov)
Анна Петровна (Anna)
Шабельский Матвей Семенович (Matthew Shabelski)
Лебедев Павел Кириллыч (Paul Lebedev)
Зинаида Савишна (Zinaida)
Саша (Sasha)
Львов Евгений Константинович (Lvov)
Бабакина Марфа Егоровна (Martha Babakina)
Косых Дмитрий Никитич (Kosich)
Боркин Михаил Михайлович (Michael Borkin)
Авдотья Назаровна (Avdotia Nazarovna)

All of the male names go [LAST NAME] [GIVEN NAME] [PATRONYM]. That means I read Ivanov, then Nikolai, then Alekseyevich. The only exception is Sasha. A patronym is a name based on your father's name, it typically goes in between the given and last name in normal address. For instance, Vladimir Vladimirovich Putin's father was named Vladimir, that's why his patronym is Vladimirovich.

All of the women's names except Martha/Sasha go [GIVEN NAME] [PATRONYM]. Martha's name is written like the men's names above. I haven't read the script so I'm not 100% sure how much of the original Russian has been Anglicized, although I realize Pavel has become Paul, Matvei -> Matthew, and so forth. Obviously just read the Anglicized names in the script -- I just read off the entire Russian cast list in case some patronyms were included despite changing the given names of many characters.

The letter "ы" in Kosich's name is weird to pronounce. It sounds almost like OOEE or UY (my best approximation). Furthermore, the "х" at the end of Kosich isn't a "ch" sound like "hatch" or "batch" but rather a "chhhhhhhh" like the "ich" in German.
Last edited by Miss Avarice on August 15th, 2012, 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.
mb

Post by mb »

Algy Pug wrote:Could I read Section 3 or 4, please? Your choice, mb. Otherwise I could have a go at the exciseman.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Excellent! I'll make it easy on myself by giving you the first one on the list, which is Matthew.
mb

Post by mb »

That's awesome - thank you again! I've linked this in the first post for everyone's perusal. While I've got you here, would you perhaps care to read a small part?
Miss Avarice

Post by Miss Avarice »

Sure, put me down for whatever you think would be best.
Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.
mb

Post by mb »

Would First Guest suit you? Of course I should've mentioned that you're perfectly welcome to something larger - I'm not a stickler for gendered casting, necessarily.
Miss Avarice

Post by Miss Avarice »

Nah, that's fine! Thank you! I'm actually trying to cut down on large dramatic parts (...yeah... I'm not succeeding very well :P) since high school is starting.

PS: I think we read together in Six Characters in Search of an Author, it's good to see you again? XD
Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.
mb

Post by mb »

Great! I'm glad I could get you for something, anyway.

ETA: oh boy, Six Characters. That's one I really wish I could've done better on. Nice to see you too!
Miss Avarice

Post by Miss Avarice »

Haha, Six Characters was a whacky play. I thought your reading was solid though! Although I do admit it was awkward since the parent characters had British accents and I just used my normal Midwestern one for the Step-Daughter... oh well.
Out of the ash
I rise with my red hair
And I eat men like air.
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

Great! Thanks :)
Ernst Pattynama

Post by Ernst Pattynama »

WIldemoose, 's that from A A E . . .
We are never so ridiculous for the qualities we have as for those we pretend to.