LibriVox 7th Anniversary Podcast

Non-reading activities need your help too!
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Pardon me for singling out an one from the many:
bobgon55 wrote:LibriVox Community Podcast #131

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #131 hosted by Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55)

Duration: 1:04:27

LibriVox 7th Anniversary Show

[...]

41:50 Update on the Mellon Grant (TriciaG)

[...]
It did my little heart a world of good to hear Tricia's report.

Thank you.

Thank you, LibriVox.
\\//_ -- cyn
____
"Computer: end program." - var.

"Here, this is not my doctrine, 'tis my study;"

"Word of the day"
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Great show Bob!
It was good to hear a tribute to Gregg, though I've never encountered him here (he passed right before I joined I think), such a lost!
The interviews were great! Congratulations Hobbit and Cat!

and I love the singing of Nadine's kids. Can I chop that part out and make it my ringtone? :D

:thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

I woke up, ate my breakfast, turned on my computer, logged in, entered the Librivox and there I saw... a fresh and warm, just-off-the-press, anniversary podcast installment. Sooo cool :9:

A few random remarks:

I enjoyed listening to Hobbit and Cat talking about their Librivoxing. I wish there had been a question about Cat's possible plans to record more in Welsh. I suppose there aren't that many audiobooks in this language. And then, Celtic languages fascinate me for some reason even though I've never tried learning any of them.
The moment Phil mentioned his method of reading by visualising his grandchilden listening to him, and then said that sometimes it doesn't work because the book may be too deep, I immediately thought about "Sex Life of the Gods" :mrgreen:
It was also great to hear a bit about the Mellon Grant. I understand that, as Tricia said, some improvements will only be noticeable to the admins, but I really hope that the "general public" will benefit too :thumbs:
And then I guess I'm a bit different than at least some of our readers/listeners, because I can't imagine listening to an audiobook while doing somethig else. I would lose the thread very fast...
I'm glad Masa-san has contributed. He is just so incredibly active and efficient! I must admit that the moment I saw the info about the plans to include the reminiscences of the new volunteers, I had a plan to message him and point him to this project, but I can see that he contributed anyway :)
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
catrose

Post by catrose »

:thumbs:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks, everybody! I'm glad you all liked the podcast. I was happy we had so many contributions.

Piotrek, I tend to go in and out when listening to long audio, too, especially because I can't just sit and listen to spoken audio and do nothing else. I think there are ideal things to be doing while listening to spoken audio, knitting being one of them (No, I don't knit, but there is a Mighty Knitting Brigade on LV, which is the way gypsygirl (Karen Savage) made her way here, hearing about LV on a knitting blog). What has always puzzled me is when people report that they listen while doing other computer work. That does not work for me at all. In fact, I was trying to PL the podcast while reading a long PM and I had to pause the podcast because I wasn't doing either well (multi-tasking is, to me, an impossibility - it only scatters my attention).

April, I also adored Nadine's kids singing! :D

Cat,

:thumbs: right back atcha!

Bob
carolb

Post by carolb »

bobgon55 wrote:(multi-tasking is, to me, an impossibility - it only scatters my attention).
It's a Girl Thing, Bob!

Carol Image
catrose

Post by catrose »

carolb wrote:
bobgon55 wrote:(multi-tasking is, to me, an impossibility - it only scatters my attention).
It's a Girl Thing, Bob!

Carol Image
:lol:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I can't do two verbal things at once: reading and listening, for example. However, I can play cards on the computer or do other non-verbal activities. I can't knit, though, but I suppose I could crochet. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

carolb wrote:bobgon55 wrote:
(multi-tasking is, to me, an impossibility - it only scatters my attention).

It's a Girl Thing, Bob!
Worried that readers might actually believe their stories, Newspapers have for some years put 'Flags' in the headlines to help reader formulate a proper response e.g.

Headline contains: 'Scientists think' - Response: 'You never know, it might be true'
Headline contains: 'Scientists prove' - Response: 'Oh, come on! Pull the other one'
Headline contains: 'Some doctors fear' - Response: 'It's the silly season, A school leaver on work experience dreamed this one up!'
Regards
Andy Minter
carolb

Post by carolb »

With the diversity of the human race it is foolish to generalise about anything,
but a little lighthearted teasing is meant to be fun, I believe.

A *silly season* helps to take our minds off the deeper concerns of life.

Carol
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Listening to the podcast now.

"And it's clear from that that I didn't understand it's a volunteer thing, and I don't really have to apply, and begging doesn't help."

"I'm quite glad I didn't join at 7 because I'd be bored by now, and I wouldn't be here now."

"We're Librivoxers; we're not really normal people."

LOL!! Love it!

And no, I don't know more about copyright than anyone else on here. :shock: The basics, sure. The gray areas? Not so much... but I guess I fake it pretty well. :lol:

Golly. Thanks also, Algy. :oops:
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
catrose

Post by catrose »

TriciaG wrote:Listening to the podcast now.

"And it's clear from that that I didn't understand it's a volunteer thing, and I don't really have to apply, and begging doesn't help."

"I'm quite glad I didn't join at 7 because I'd be bored by now, and I wouldn't be here now."

"We're Librivoxers; we're not really normal people."

LOL!! Love it!

And no, I don't know more about copyright than anyone else on here. :shock: The basics, sure. The gray areas? Not so much... but I guess I fake it pretty well. :lol:
Aww! :mrgreen:
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

TriciaG wrote:"We're Librivoxers; we're not really normal people."
that made me lol while in the library... you should see how the librarian poked me
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
catrose

Post by catrose »

JohanLiebert wrote:
TriciaG wrote:"We're Librivoxers; we're not really normal people."
that made me lol while in the library... you should see how the librarian poked me
:lol: It'd true though isn't it? We're not normal, we're extraordinary! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

It is fabulous!
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen