COMPLETE [BIO] Life and Ventures of John Jacob Astor - gu

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Guero

Post by Guero »

The Life and Ventures of the Original John Jacob Astor by Elizabeth Louisa Gebhard (1859 - 1924) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/life-and-ventures-of-astor-by-gebhard/
John Jacob Astor was pre-eminently the opener of new paths, a breaker of trails. From his first tramp alone through the Black Forest of Baden, at sixteen, his life never lost this typical touch. In America, both shores of the Hudson, and the wilderness to the Northwest knew his trail. The trees of the forests west of the Mississippi were blazed by his hunters and trappers; and his partners and agents planted through this vast region the flag of the American Fur Company. The Atlantic and Pacific Oceans were invisibly lined by the path of his vessels. His were the first American ships to habitually circle the globe, trading around the earth. With his far-sighted vision withdrawn from distant scenes, and centered on Manhattan Island, he led the way toward the upbuilding of the largest, and most important city in the new world. (Summary from book's Foreword)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://archive.org/details/lifeventuresofor00gebh
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ======================================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and readers (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.
    • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 33
    • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: yes
    • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available):
    • Date of first publication: 1915

=======================================================

Genres for the project:
    adventure, biography, history, memoirs

Keywords that describe the book:
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Life and Ventures of the Original John Jacob Astor. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The Life and Ventures of the Original John Jacob Astor , by Elizabeth Louisa Gebhard . Chapter [number]"

End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Life and Ventures of the Original John Jacob Astor , by Elizabeth Louisa Gebhard . "

Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Note: The last name of the author is pronounced "GEHB hard".

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    lifeandventures_##_gebhard.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. lifeandventures_01_gebhard.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Elizabeth Louisa Gebhard
    Album: The Life and Ventures of the Original John Jacob Astor

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: gu - Guero
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
Guero

Post by Guero »

Moving to Readers Wanted...
John
"...what kind of internal wiring in my grandmother's mind enabled her...To condense fact from the vapor of nuance." -- Neal Stephenson
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

I would like to claim the first chapter 01 A pivotal day please Image
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
Guero

Post by Guero »

philchenevert wrote:I would like to claim the first chapter 01 A pivotal day please Image
Great, Phil! Welcome to the project. :)
John
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

Hello there! If you don't mind a female voice starting and ending this book, would you mind if I did the Forward and the last Section 32, as the bookends?
:) Pamela Krantz
Guero

Post by Guero »

pkrantz wrote:Hello there! If you don't mind a female voice starting and ending this book, would you mind if I did the Forward and the last Section 32, as the bookends?
I don't mind having female voices at all. This is not a dramatic work. ;)

Those sections are yours, Pamela. Thanks!
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

John
J_N

Post by J_N »

May I have 03 - The Village School and the Old Church Bells, please?

Quick question: Should I pronounce German words German or English?
And there is a mistake on page 15
(Walt, Waiz, Wein, Wasser, Weid
which probably should be "Wald, Weizen, Wein, Wasser, Weide" (Forrest, Wheat, Wine, Water, Meadow) - should I correct this or simply read it wrongly?
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Guero

Post by Guero »

J_N wrote:May I have 03 - The Village School and the Old Church Bells, please?

Quick question: Should I pronounce German words German or English?
And there is a mistake on page 15
(Walt, Waiz, Wein, Wasser, Weid
which probably should be "Wald, Weizen, Wein, Wasser, Weide" (Forrest, Wheat, Wine, Water, Meadow) - should I correct this or simply read it wrongly?
Yes, you may have section 03. Welcome to the project! :D

You can pronounce the German words in German, if you'd like. I often do the same when I run across Spanish words in a text I'm reading. And, yes, feel free to make the corrections you list above. Thanks!
John
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

Guero

Post by Guero »

Thanks, Pamela!
John
Guero

Post by Guero »

I've taken a couple sections for myself.
John
pkrantz

Post by pkrantz »

32 - Gathering the Threads Together is uploaded.

11:17
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gu/lifeandventures_32_gebhard.mp3
Guero

Post by Guero »

pkrantz wrote:32 - Gathering the Threads Together is uploaded.
11:17
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/gu/lifeandventures_32_gebhard.mp3
Thanks, Pamela! :D
John