Perseids Meteor Shower- this weekend

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Hey everyone, thought you might all be interested to know that this weekend is the Perseids Meteor Shower! There should be up to 60 meteors an hour if you can get away from some of your local light pollution (or, you know, if you just have a cabin in the woods, feel free to invite me :wink: ), and the moon won't be full, so it'll be a good show.

Here are some links to help you get to some darker areas around you to get the full affect.

http://www.jshine.net/astronomy/dark_sky/ (America only, sorry)
http://www.darksky.org/DSDestinations#Dark Sky Finder (this website provides links to world dark-sky maps)

Check your local listings for the best times for the show for you lat/long.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Huh? :?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
J_N

Post by J_N »

too much light pollution were I live... and no car to get me somewhere darker :evil: (besides, the climax will be on Sunday afternoon... :roll:)

catrose: lots and lots of shooting stars in a fairly short amount of time... and it happens every year in early august :)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
catrose

Post by catrose »

J_N wrote: catrose: lots and lots of shooting stars in a fairly short amount of time... and it happens every year in early august :)
Oh wow! :D How much is counted as too much light pollution? I mean, I can normally see stars from my bedroom window, will that do? Or should I just Youtube it tomorrow?
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
J_N

Post by J_N »

catrose wrote:
J_N wrote: catrose: lots and lots of shooting stars in a fairly short amount of time... and it happens every year in early august :)
Oh wow! :D How much is counted as too much light pollution? I mean, I can normally see stars from my bedroom window, will that do? Or should I just Youtube it tomorrow?
Well, I see up to 3 stars at night - living in the capital has its drawbacks :lol: that's too much light pollution... but if you would actually be able to see constellations and stuff (if you knew where to look) you could definitely look out for some shooting stars - happy hunting (and wishing!) :mrgreen:

Edit: btw. in Austria it's visible from 11th to 13th... so that should be the time window for UK as well :)
Last edited by J_N on August 9th, 2012, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

catrose

Post by catrose »

Yay! I'll have to be on the look out! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

I'm always slightly disappointed that it's not the Leonids that shoot past in August. It would be so much more appropriate! :mrgreen:
Karen S.
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

I used to live in one of the darkest places in the United States, and when it was time for the meteor showers our Dad would drive us as far as was needed to get away from any cloud cover. I've seen meteors split into an arraw of colors, and its always breathtaking any ways to see so many shooting stars.

So Cat, if I were you, I would definitly go out around 11 and just lay on the ground and look at the stars. It will be so much better than youtubing it, I promise, and if you can convince anyone to drive you to where its darkest (away from city and street lights) you won't regret it. Take some hot chocolate!
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
catrose

Post by catrose »

Anyone know any good meteor-watching recordings? It's just gotten dark so the stars should be out any minute... :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

J_N

Post by J_N »

catrose wrote:Anyone know any good meteor-watching recordings? It's just gotten dark so the stars should be out any minute... :D
Twinkle, twinkle little star? :mrgreen:

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

Karen S.
catrose

Post by catrose »

I think Julia's right. I can't see any meteors tonight. I'll have to keep a lookout over the weekend. But the starts tonight are awfully pretty, but someone's decided to set of fireworks, so I can't see the stars....
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

not much light pollution here as I live in the countryside, but the clouds are so big... :cry: can't even see Sirius
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!