[COMPLETE] Library of the World's Best Literature, vol 4-le

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern volume 4 by Various Authors (published 1896)

Volume 1 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/library-of-the-worlds-best-literature-ancient-and-modern-volume-1-by-various/
Volume 2 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/library-of-the-worlds-best-literature-ancient-and-modern-volume-2-by-various/
Volume 3 is cataloged: http://librivox.org/library-of-the-worlds-best-literature-ancient-and-modern-volume-3-by-various/

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page:
http://librivox.org/library-of-the-worlds-best-literature-ancient-and-modern-volume-4-by-charles-dudely-warner-ed/

The Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern, is a work of enormous proportions. Setting out with the simple goal of offering "American households a mass of good reading", the editors drew from literature of all times and all kinds what they considered the best pieces of human writing, and compiled an ambitious collection of 45 volumes (with a 46th being an index-guide). Besides the selection and translation of a huge number of poems, letters, short stories and sections of books, the collection offers, before each chapter, a short essay about the author or subject in question. In many cases, chapters contemplate not one author, but certain groups of works, organized by nationality, subject or period; there is, thus, a chapter on Accadian-Babylonian literature, one on the Holy Grail, and one on Chansons, for example.

The result is a collection that holds the interest, for the variety of subjects and forms, but also as a means of first contact with such famous and important authors that many people have heard of, but never read, such as Abelard, Dante or Lord Byron. According to the editor Charles Dudley Warner, this collection "is not a library of reference only, but a library to be read."

This fourth volume contains chapters from "Banim" to "Birrell". (Summary by Leni)
  1. How to claim a part, and "how it all works" here
    To find a section to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which section you'd like to read (include the section number from the left-most column in the reader list, please). Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  2. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  3. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  4. Where do I find the text?
    Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/13220
  5. Please claim sections (the numbers in the first column below)!
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Prospective Prooflisteners: Please read the Listeners Wanted FAQ before listening! Level of prooflistening requested: standard

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording:
    Please check the Recording Notes:
    http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
  7. DURING recording:
    Please leave no more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of your recording!

Make sure you add this to the beginning and end of your recording:
    Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Section [number] of Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern volume 4. - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern volume 4. Section [number][Title of section], by [Author of section]."
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of section [number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern volume 4 "
    Please leave 5 seconds silence at the end of your recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes!

Also, please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Need noise-cleaning?
    Listen to your file through headphones. If you can hear some constant background noise (hiss/buzz), you may want to clean it up a bit. The new (free) version 1.3.3. of Audacity (Mac/Win) has much improved noise-cleaning. See this LibriVox wiki page for a complete guide.

Save files as
    128 kbps MP3
    worldsbestliterature4_##_various (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. worldsbestliterature4_01_various.mp3)

ID3 V2 tags
    (To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)
    Add the following tags to your .mp3 file (how you do this depends on which software you use – if you are unsure about ID3 tags, send me a message). Please mind upper and lower case!

Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: [Author's name]
    Album: Library of the World's Best Literature, Ancient and Modern volume 4

Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: le - Leni
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below or PM me. :)
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Open for business! At this rate of one volume a year, in 41 years we will have the whole collection recorded! :mrgreen:
Leni
=================
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

I would love to read section 21 if it is available. :D
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

It certainly is, thanks for claiming!
Leni
=================
beeber

Post by beeber »

Could I please read Section 22 ("Essay on Lord Beaconsfield") and Section 27 ("Essay on Beaumont and Fletcher")?

Thanks,
Bruce
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Leni,
May I take 30-33 on Henry Ward Beecher?
MaryAnn
ppcunningham

Post by ppcunningham »

Id like to claim section 31 - bookstores and books, please.

Darn - got cross-posted!

I'll take section 8, then -

Patti
The trouble with life isn't that there is no answer, it's that there are so many answers. Ruth Benedict

Non curo. Si metrum non habet, non est poema

My Page
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks much for the claims, everyone! :)

I'll move this one to Readers Wanted right now.
Leni
=================
kajo

Post by kajo »

Hi Leni,

I would like to offer my service as DPL. What do you think about it?

Greetings Kajo
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

May I have section 19, as well?
Caprisha

beeber

Post by beeber »

CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

Section 21
Duration: 08:20
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/worldsbestliterature4_21_various.mp3

I love the Chimera!
Caprisha :D
Caprisha

ExEmGe

Post by ExEmGe »

Could I have section 11 please, (the SB-G one)?
Regards
Andy Minter
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Kajo, thanks for the offer! I have added you as DPLer for this project!

Caprisha and David, thanks for claiming!

And thanks for the recordings, Caprisha and Bruce!
Leni
=================
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

Thank you!

Section 19: Selected poetry
Duration: 07:44
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/le/worldsbestliterature4_19_various.mp3
Caprisha