COMPLETE: Lulu I: Earth Spirit by Frank Wedekind [eng] - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Lulu I: Earth Spirit [Erdgeist] by Frank Wedekind (1864 - 1918) . Translated by Samuel Atkins Eliot, Jr. (1894 - 1984).

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/earth-spirit-by-frank-wedekind/

Volunteers outside the USA: Samuel Atkins Eliot, Jr. died in 1984. The author's work is still protected by copyright in places, like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years). However, this play also applies for the rule of the shorter term, which has a provision that the author/translator must be a legal resident in the country of publication for it to affect a text's copyright status (see below for more details).

Earth Spirit (1895) (Erdgeist) is a play by the German dramatist Frank Wedekind. It forms the first part of his pairing of 'Lulu' plays (the second is Pandora's Box [1904]), both of which depict a society "riven by the demands of lust and greed". Together with Pandora's Box, Wedekind's play formed the basis for the silent film Pandora's Box (1929) starring Louise Brooks and the opera Lulu by Alban Berg in 1935 (premiered posthumously in 1937).

The eponymous "earth spirit" of this play is Lulu, who Wedekind described as a woman "created to stir up great disaster." Indeed, she is a purely sexual creature who scandalizes the community and drives men to ruin. The play has attracted a wide range of interpretations, from those who see it as misogynistic to those who claim Wedekind as a harbinger of women’s liberation. (Summary by Wikipedia and ChuckW)
  1. Is there a deadline? March 2013
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29682
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!
    Notes:

* IMPORTANT: While the above disclaimer says that this work is not PD 50/70, these texts may (depending on the volunteer's location) apply for the Rule of the Shorter Term. Put simply, under this international agreement, signatory countries apply the copyright provisions of the country in which the work was first published. This rule has an additional provision that the author/translator must be a legal resident in the country of publication. The Rule of the Shorter Term applies to this translation, as Eliot was an American citizen. This applies to volunteers in the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Canada, France, India, Ireland, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain and United Kingdom.

I have contacted two admins (bart and chocoholic) and have been advised to notify readers of this provision while also posting the original disclaimer. We will allow individual readers make their own determinations. For more information, please visit this Wikipedia entry and the Librivox Wiki page on copyright information.

* While tame by today's standards, this play contains material that may make some volunteers uncomfortable. Please make sure you're comfortable with the content of this play before volunteering.

* There are several characters who appear in both Earth Spirit and Pandora's Box: Lulu, Alva, Schigolch, Rodrigo, Countess Geschwitz, and Hugenberg. Please note that you will have to perform in both plays if you volunteer for one of these characters. Update (July 31): All of these roles have now been claimed.

* You are allowed to volunteer for multiple characters only under the following conditions: (a) you are only taking smaller roles, (b) your characters do not appear in the same scene and/or play together, (c) you make an attempt to give all of your characters a different voice or characterization.

* Need help pronouncing some of these names? Never fear! Karlsson created this handy pronunciation guide!

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE
    ====================================================== 

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =======================================================

Genres for the project:
    play

Keywords that describe the book/play:
    modernist drama, German literature
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Act [#] of Lulu I: Earth Spirit , by Frank Wedekind . Translated by Samuel Atkins Eliot, Jr. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Lulu I: Earth Spirit , by Frank Wedekind . Translated by Samuel Atkins Eliot, Jr.

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps FLAC earthspirit_[role]_[#].FLAC (all lower-case), where # is the act number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by ChuckW on February 21st, 2013, 6:51 pm, edited 10 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Yes, I'm doing both of these suckers! Because I've gone completely insane!

Roles that have been claimed via PM: Lulu, Alva, the Countess, Schigolch, and Hugenberg.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'll get you set up for Lulu I and II in a minute, Chuck... :)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Thanks Elizabeth! You rock! :)
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

MW is set up!

Now... on to Pandora's Box!
PROJECTS
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

The pronunciation guide ROCKS!!!
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

CaprishaPage wrote:The pronunciation guide ROCKS!!!
I know! Karlsson went above and beyond the call of duty. I wish there was a way we could give him a credit for his contribution.
PROJECTS
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

ChuckW wrote:
CaprishaPage wrote:The pronunciation guide ROCKS!!!
I know! Karlsson went above and beyond the call of duty. I wish there was a way we could give him a credit for his contribution.
I can give him a credit on the catalog page. I'll leave a note in the database to remind me.
PuerScelestus

Post by PuerScelestus »

I think I could DPL this. I've never done it before but I've read up on how!
-Ian.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PuerScelestus wrote:I think I could DPL this. I've never done it before but I've read up on how!
Hey PuerScelestus! Welcome to the project... and to Librivox! :) I'd love for you to DPL. I'll send some information about PL-ing dramatic works sometime tomorrow morning (I gotta get some sleep!), but for now will just go ahead, make like Molly Bloom, and say, "Yes!" Thanks for being our DPL!
gloriana wrote:I can give him a credit on the catalog page. I'll leave a note in the database to remind me.
That would be great, Elizabeth! Thanks!
PROJECTS
PuerScelestus

Post by PuerScelestus »

I'm sure it will be a pleasure working with you all.
-Ian.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PuerScelestus wrote:I'm sure it will be a pleasure working with you all.
Oh, likewise I'm sure. :) By the way, not sure how it works out, but I think Elizabeth (our MC) will need to know your catalogue name. Quite literally, it is the name you will be credited as in the Librivox catalogue. Feel free to use your real name, your internet handle, or a nickname. The choice is yours. :)
PROJECTS
PuerScelestus

Post by PuerScelestus »

Should I PM her or just post it here? In case it's the latter, "Ian C. M. Michael" would be what I'd like.
-Ian.
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

PuerScelestus wrote:Should I PM her or just post it here? In case it's the latter, "Ian C. M. Michael" would be what I'd like.
A post should be sufficient. I'm sure she'll update the MW (and give you the necessary passwords) as soon as possible. Thanks. :)
PROJECTS
catrose

Post by catrose »

Wahoo! First to finish! Let me apologize. Both young master Hugenberg and I are quite childish, so we both enjoy finishing first. :P Now onto Pandora's box!

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ek/earthspirit_hugenberg_4.flac 1:30

EDIT: Gahhhh! Posted this in the wrong thread first! :)
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!