COMPLETE: Vera; or the Nihilists by Oscar Wilde - al

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Vera; or the Nihilists by Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/vera-or-the-nihilists-by-oscar-wilde/
Vera; or, The Nihilists is a play by Oscar Wilde. It is a melodramatic tragedy set in Russia and is loosely based on the story of Vera Zasulich. It was the first play that Wilde wrote. It was produced in the United Kingdom in 1880, and in New York in 1882, but it was not a success and folded in both cities. It is nowadays rarely revived. (Summary by Wikipedia)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
    Please do not sign up for more sections than you can complete within the two month deadline.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/26494
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Act [#] of Vera; or the Nihilists, by Oscar Wilde . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Vera; or the Nihilists , by Oscar Wilde .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 veraorthenihilists_role_#.mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number and 'role' is your character's name.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: al - wildemoose
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Having finished Duchess of Padua, I think it's only right to finish the Wilde canon with his earliest published play. Like Duchess, it's a totally bizarre and delightful melodrama, set in Russia during one of the periods of revolution. To keep the cast list less complicated, I've combined smaller roles into 'doubled' characters. Please read the Notes field carefully as the text is a little odd as far as identifying characters goes.
Fongie

Post by Fongie »

Oooh, I enjoyed the last one so much I gotta be in this aswell.. I think I'd like Michael, please he seems delightfully spiteful!
MARTIN GEESON

Post by MARTIN GEESON »

Hi

More Oscar - cannot resist.

I'd like to be the old Czar (Ivan) in Act 2, if I may. Such a contrast to Canon Chasuble.

Best
Martin
catrose

Post by catrose »

Hey Arielle, can you suggest a part for me? Unless it's gender accurate, in which case I'll DPL! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Thanks, Max and Martin! I've put you into the Magic Window.

Cat, how about taking the Conspirators in Acts 1 and 3? There are about nine of them but I'd like you to read all the lines--much easier than having Conspirators 1-9 in the MW. There are also lines for 'Omnes' where they all speak together which I'd like you to read as well.
catrose

Post by catrose »

Perfect! Thank you! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
hggarrett

Post by hggarrett »

Hello, could you assign a role for me too?

Thanks!
Grace
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'm also happy to help where I can. :)
catrose

Post by catrose »

In Act III Fifth Consp. is Prince Paul
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

J_N

Post by J_N »

I'd be happy to help out as well... but I don't think I see any female roles :)

maybe I can join catrose as a fellow Conspirator? :hmm:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

catrose wrote:In Act III Fifth Consp. is Prince Paul
Ugh, you're so right! Thanks, Cat. I will add that note to the MW. I thought I was doing pretty well to figure out that Alexis, Czarevitch, and Czar Act 4 were all the same person, but that one slipped past me. :)
hggarrett wrote:Hello, could you assign a role for me too?

Thanks!
Grace
gloriana wrote:I'm also happy to help where I can. :)
Parts assigned for both you ladies--thanks!
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

J_N wrote:I'd be happy to help out as well... but I don't think I see any female roles :)

maybe I can join catrose as a fellow Conspirator? :hmm:
Happy to have you! You're right about the lack of ladies' parts and I do want to keep this one fairly gender-accurate just because I think it works better with this particular text. (Usually I don't care at all!) It would be great to have some more Conspirators. Please read all the lines and I'll figure out what arrangement works best during editing.
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Awww, yeah - I'm the President of the Nihilists! That rocks! Ve believe in nussing, Lebowski... oops, sorry, wrong text. :twisted:
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

gloriana wrote:Awww, yeah - I'm the President of the Nihilists! That rocks! Ve believe in nussing, Lebowski... oops, sorry, wrong text. :twisted:
Best movie ever! I assume you've seen this: http://www.runleiarun.com/lebowski/