[COMPLETE]Multilingual Short Works Collection 003 - lz

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

LibriVox Multilingual Short Works Collection 003 - Poetry & Prose

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/librivox-multilingual-short-works-collection-003/

This collection is for short works, in any language except (modern) English. This can include poetry but also prose, fiction as well as non-fiction.
Feel free to choose any work which is in the public domain. If you're unsure what we mean by 'public domain', please read this explanation. Try to stick to works that run less than 60 minutes.
Please follow the instructions in this post carefully. :) There is no need to "sign-up" before recording; please remember that, to be on the safe side, you should choose a work that is Public Domain in your country AND that was published before 1923; if you are unsure about anything, please post here and ask before recording!

Everyone can contribute as many recordings as he/she wants.
It's OK to submit readings in English (English being a language, I figure), but as there are plenty of other places to put those, let's limit them to special cases such as interesting regional dialects or accents. There are also some specific language collections available that you may want to consider, such as the Dutch and German short prose collections, and the French poetry collection.

If you are interested to see what has been done previously, check the previous Multilingual Collections in our catalog (but we welcome multiple versions of the same work).

Magic Window:

BC Admin
BEFORE recording
If you are new, please check the Recording Guide before recording:
http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Newbie_Guide_to_Recording
Please be sure that your recording software is set to the following technical specifications:
Bit Rate: 128 kbps
Sample Rate: 44100 kHz
Channels: 1 (Mono recording).

DURING recording
NB - The intro and outro can be in English, or in the language of the poem.
At the beginning, read the abbreviated "librivox disclaimer":
"[Work title], by [author], read in [language] for LibriVox.org by [your name]".

At the End say: "End of section. This recording is in the public domain"; then leave 5 seconds of silence (or 10 seconds if the file is longer than 30 minutes).

AFTER recording
Add ID3 V2 tags
(To find out more about ID3 tags, go to our wiki: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/What_is_ID3)

Title: Language -Work Title (e.g. Chinese - Chun Si)
Artist: Author Name (e.g. Peter Wang)
Album: LibriVox Multilingual Short Works Collection 003

(You may put "Recorded by [your name]" in the comments section if you wish)
Please ignore tags for Genre and Track Number - these will be filled in automatically at the cataloguing stage.

Save as mp3 file
File name all in lowercase: msw003_[work's title]_[author's last name]_[your initials].mp3
(e.g. msw003_chunsi_wang_drb.mp3)
Put file name all in lowercase, and the title all in one word (without the square brackets, please, and NO SPACES)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):
    http://upload.librivox.org
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lz - lezer
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Post in this thread
When posting your link, please use the template below. Copy the code in the box, paste it into your reply, and fill in the required information as far as available (this will make everything easier for the coordinators!):
  • URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader -
  • Duration of recording (mm:ss) -
  • URL for online text -
  • Title of work -
  • Date of publication (if available) -
  • Name of author -
  • Birth date and date of death of author if available (xxxx-xxxx) -
  • URL for author information (e.g. wikipedia) if available -
  • Brief indication of the work in a few words: (for example: poetry or prose, fiction or non-fiction, genre or keywords; will be used in the summary)
  • Language:
If this is your first contribution to Librivox, please also supply:
* Reader's name to use on the catalogue page -
* Reader's personal URL to use on the catalogue page (if you have one) -
===============================================

Happy recording!
Any questions?
Please post below :)
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello everybody,
Librivox Multilingual Short Works Collection 002 has completed. So it's time to start next collection. Anna san approved my BC.
To save time Anna san will edit the first post.

This is my first BC job. I hope lots of you join this project.

Cheers,
Masa
lezer

Post by lezer »

Great Masa san - I've been away today, but am back now. Will get the first post up this evening (my time zone).
Anna

EDIT: All done! Ready for business I think. Shall we leave the project in the Launch Pad for a day or so that everyone knows there's a new collection?
Anna
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Anna san,
Thank you for your support.
lezer wrote:Shall we leave the project in the Launch Pad for a day or so that everyone knows there's a new collection?
Yes, let's stay here for a few days. Publicity is important for this project.

I've uploaded my first recording.

URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader - http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/msw003_sennin_akutagawa_um.mp3
Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 9:44
URL for online text - http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000879/files/144_15208.html
Title of work - Sennin
Date of publication (if available) - 1922
Name of author - Akutagawa Ryunosuke
Birth date and date of death of author if available - (1892-1927)
URL for author information (e.g. wikipedia) if available - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akutagawa_Ryunosuke
Brief indication of the work in a few words: prose, fiction, Oosaka, wizard
Language: Japanese

The author's family name is Akutagawa.

Cheers,
Masa
lezer

Post by lezer »

Hello Masa san,
I've updated the MW with all the information, to give you an example of what we need. It is most convenient to have all the information there in the MW itself, otherwise when we get to the cataloguing-time I would have to scroll through all the posts to find the information. If you take that first section as an example? (click on edit in the field to see the code I used) Also in the title field, with the section number and language.

And the other thing for you as BC to keep up to date would be the "compilation info". When you are on the webpage of the magic window, you will see in the menu on the right hand side a link to "compilation info" (at least, I think you will be able to see that link since you are the BC - let me know if I'm mistaken). If you click on that, you'll see another table that we use to collect the extra information needed in collections [this table ensures that all the individual sections in a collection are searchable in a catalog search]. I have filled in the information for the first section - so the title, the author (written "family name", "first name"), the source, the language, and the section number. If you can see the compilation info page, it would be great if you could keep that up to date as well.

Anna
Anna
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello again Anna san,
Thank you for your support.
lezer wrote:I've updated the MW with all the information, to give you an example of what we need.
Thank you. Today I record one more and update MW following your example.
lezer wrote:And the other thing for you as BC to keep up to date would be the "compilation info".
Yes, I can see "compilation info". I'll master to use it step by step.

Cheers,
Masa
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello everybody,

Here's my second recording.

URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader - http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/msw003_mangan_dazai_um.mp3
Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 4:34
URL for online text - http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000035/files/1564_14134.html
Title of work - Mangan
Date of publication (if available) - 1938
Name of author - Dazai Osamu
Birth date and date of death of author if available - (1909-1948)
URL for author information (e.g. wikipedia) if available - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osamu_Dazai
Brief indication of the work in a few words: prose, fiction, Mishima, doctor
Language: Japanese

The author's family name is Dazai.
About Japan origin work's copyright, please look here.

Cheers,
Masa
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

If you prefer, I could try reading a drinking song:
URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader - http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/msw003_pangelingua_fortunatus_cam.mp3
Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 02:49
URL for online text - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pange_Lingua_Gloriosi_Proelium_Certaminis
Title of work - Pange lingua (gloriosi proelium certaminis)
Date of publication (if available) - 6th Century, C.E.
Name of author - Venantius Fortunatus
Birth date and date of death of author if available (xxxx-xxxx) - (c.530–c.600/609)
URL for author information (e.g. wikipedia) if available - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venantius_Fortunatus
Brief indication of the work in a few words: poetry, medieval Latin
Language: Latin
\\//_ -- cyn
____
"Computer: end program." - var.

"Here, this is not my doctrine, 'tis my study;"

"Word of the day"
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

cynm1788 wrote:If you prefer, I could try reading a drinking song:
URL for the mp3 file from the Uploader - http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/lz/msw003_pangelingua_fortunatus_cam.mp3
Duration of recording (mm:ss) - 02:49
URL for online text - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pange_Lingua_Gloriosi_Proelium_Certaminis
Title of work - Pange lingua (gloriosi proelium certaminis)
Date of publication (if available) - 6th Century, C.E.
Name of author - Venantius Fortunatus
Birth date and date of death of author if available (xxxx-xxxx) - (c.530–c.600/609)
URL for author information (e.g. wikipedia) if available - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venantius_Fortunatus
Brief indication of the work in a few words: poetry, medieval Latin
Language: Latin
I'll PL this Cynthia :)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello cyn san,
Thank you for your recording.
cynm1788 wrote:Title of work - Pange lingua (gloriosi proelium certaminis)
I updated MW. Please check everything is correct. I'm a novice BC.
I hope you record more Latin poetries. I have a few Latin textbooks written in Japanese. Your recording
give me a motivation to learn Latin.

April san,
Thank you for your offer.
JohanLiebert wrote:I'll PL this Cynthia
Cheers,
Masa
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

Konnichiwa, Masa-san!
ekzemplaro wrote:Hello cyn san,
Thank you for your recording.
cynm1788 wrote:Title of work - Pange lingua (gloriosi proelium certaminis)
I updated MW. Please check everything is correct. I'm a novice BC.
Even a novice can be well organized, apparently. If you're satisfied with the sometimes-iffy choices I made in filling in ID3s, you have yourself to congratulate: I was more than a little worried I'd mess up your data, since this project has slightly more complex demands than others I've puzzled through; I've "been here" almost three whole weeks, and I'm not the one you "ought" to ask to check your MW &c :oops:

The good news is that we have a bit of flexibility in deciding how to reference the title of this work, and the parenthetically embellished (long) version can be shortened for your convenience.
ekzemplaro wrote:I hope you record more Latin poetries. I have a few Latin textbooks written in Japanese. Your recording give me a motivation to learn Latin.
Arigato! We'll be typing that "-sama" honorific at each other, if you're not careful. :wink:

I'm terrified to be recording, even in English, so I've pushed myself to try both German and Latin readings while I'm *not* yet comfortable; I'm practicing my [ancient] Greek. I'd love to learn more than Silicon Valley Busgirl Japanese...among other things. This Latin of mine is the result of recent studies: when I returned to finish my long-abandoned bachelor's degree, I made the time to take beginning Latin; I "graduated" in 2007, with a degree in "Dramatic Arts", but I continued to take intermediate and then a little advanced Latin for a couple of years, along with [ancient] Greek.

Sorry to take up your screen, but I'm enthusiastic to encourage linguistic studies {too} at any age!

Thank you, may I presume, for continuing to diversify the LibriVox catalog. :9:
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
cynm1788

Post by cynm1788 »

ekzemplaro wrote:April san,
Thank you for your offer.
JohanLiebert wrote:I'll PL this Cynthia
Cheers,
Masa
Indeed, April, it's a relief to know you'll be [proof-] listening. Thanks.
\\//_ -- cyn
____

"Word of the day"
lezer

Post by lezer »

Let's move the project to Short Works!
Anna
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

PL notes Pange lingua

The title is pronounced as 'Pan•jeh Lingua'

0:16 - you said "kertaminis" which should be "certaminis" where 'cer' is read as 'tcher'
0:18 - you said "et super crukis trophaeo dic triumphum nobilem" which should be "et super crucis trophaeo dic triumphum nobilem" where 'ci' is read 'chee' as in 'cheetah'
0:24 - you said "orbis immolatus vikerit" which should be "orbis immolatus vicerit" where where 'ce' is read as 'tche'
0:45 - you said "nostrae salutis ordo depoposkerat" which should be "nostrae salutis ordo depoposcerat" where 'sce' is read as 'seh'
1:03 - you said "missus est ab arke patris" which should be "missus est ab arce patris" where 'ce' is read as 'tche'
1:08 - you said "atque ventre virginali carne factus prodiit" where 'virginali' is read as 'virjeehnali'
1:12 - you said "Vagit infans" which should read as 'Uajeeht'
1:24 - you said "stricta pingit fascia" which should be read as 'pinjeeht faseeya'
1:33 - you said "se volente, natus ad hoc, passioni deritus, " which should be "se volente, natus ad hoc, passioni deditus," where 'di' is a hard 'd'
1:34 - you said 'ag•nus in crusees' which should be read as 'añoos in crutchees' 'ñ' is pronounce as 'nyoo'
1:40 - you said "Hic aketum" which should be 'atchetum'
1:44 - you said 'lankea' which should be 'lanseh•ya'
1:58 - you said 'arboh' which should be 'arbor' with a trilled r
2:04 - you said 'gehrmine' which should be 'jer•mine'
2:06 - you said "dolke lignum dolke clavo dolke pondus sustinens." which be 'dulce' read as 'doolseh'
2:13 - yiu said "tensa laxa viscera" which should be 'veesehra'
2:21 - you said "ut superni membra regis" which should be 'regis' read as 'rejees'
2:26 - you said "Sola dig•na tu fuisti" where 'digna' should be 'deeña' ñ' is pronounce as 'nya'
2:35 - you said "quem sacer cruor perunxit fusus ag•ni corpore. where 'sacer should be read as 'satcher' and 'agni' is añee, 'ñ' is prnounced as 'nyii'
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Salve cyn san,
Thank you for your message.
cynm1788 wrote: I've pushed myself to try both German and Latin readings while I'm *not* yet comfortable; I'm practicing my [ancient] Greek.
I understand German a bit, so I'd like to listen. Several ancient Greek books are cataloged this year. So you
can also read a poetry in ancient Greek.

Anna san,
Thank you for your continuous support.
lezer wrote:Let's move the project to Short Works!
Magandang hapon April san,
I have a slight knowledge about Latin. There're several method to pronounce Latin. According to Japanese Wikipedia, there're old-style, German-style and Italian-style. Looks like the difference occurs because of this difference. How do you think?

Cheers,
Masa