Non-LV links of interest

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
J_N

Post by J_N »

http://youtu.be/0snNB1yS3IE
Brilliant speech (imho), hope it hasn't been posted yet :)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Petra

Post by Petra »

!!!!

That was amazing! Thank you so much for sharing that. I discovered the amazingness that is poetry slam just a few weeks ago, and this... I am slightly speechless. Wow.
J_N

Post by J_N »

Petra wrote:!!!!

That was amazing! [...] I am slightly speechless. Wow.
That was exactly my reaction - I've never heard of that type of poetry before when I came across that video... glad you liked it :9:

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

J_N

Post by J_N »

Last edited by J_N on July 14th, 2012, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I always like the fact that raze and raise mean opposite things :D - comes of Endlish words coming from different languages I suppose
You can just post this in off topic - the spam heap is more intended for things some people might find controversial it's a sort of - if you go there and read it don' complain - the title is buried in history so don't ask me why.
If you can, avoid posting too much as images - we try to keep the forum screen reader friendly so that everyone can enjoy things :D

Anne
J_N

Post by J_N »

annise wrote:You can just post this in off topic - the spam heap is more intended for things some people might find controversial it's a sort of - if you go there and read it don' complain - the title is buried in history so don't ask me why.
oh, i see... I thought this was just some sort of collection for anything that doesn't really warrant it's own thread :)
If you can, avoid posting too much as images - we try to keep the forum screen reader friendly so that everyone can enjoy things :D
didn't know - thanks for telling me; changed it to a link :)

gypsygirl

Post by gypsygirl »

annise wrote:I always like the fact that raze and raise mean opposite things :D - comes of English words coming from different languages I suppose
You can just post this in off topic - the spam heap is more intended for things some people might find controversial it's a sort of - if you go there and read it don' complain - the title is buried in history so don't ask me why.

Anne
I was under the impression that the Controversial Topics thread was for controversial stuff, and this was for exactly this sort of fun silliness.
Karen S.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Have I got it wrong then? - sorry :oops: . I just thought it was a pity if her interesting posts weren't getting seen by people.

Anne
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Since I know so many of us love baking, I thought I'd share this -most-amazing-food-blog-ever:

http://www.bakersroyale.com/

I love this woman's photography, also, I want to eat everything! She also has some great "food decorarting" tutorials. Seriously, I'm going to go home and bake bake bake.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The following might be old, but I have only just encountered it and I ...laughed out loud :lol: So I thought I'd share here too:
Said Hamlet to Ophelia,
I’ll draw a sketch of thee,
What kind of pencil shall I use?
2B or not 2B?
fiddlesticks

Post by fiddlesticks »

Since I know so many of us love baking, I thought I'd share this -most-amazing-food-blog-ever:

http://www.bakersroyale.com/

I love this woman's photography, also, I want to eat everything! She also has some great "food decorarting" tutorials. Seriously, I'm going to go home and bake bake bake.
That is a wonderful websight! Thanks so much for posting it!!! :D
~Tiffany
CalmDragon

Post by CalmDragon »

It is that time of year again:
http://www.uglychristmaslights.com/
Ten years old and running!
jojowasaman

Post by jojowasaman »

annise wrote:I always like the fact that raze and raise mean opposite things :D - comes of English words coming from different languages I suppose

Anne
I never thought about those two much. But I still recall reading in an intro to some book that "cleave" has two meanings that are opposites. As a teenager, this was an eye-opener to me about both the depth and ambiguity of language.
You can call me JJ or JoJo: either is fine.
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner. But he knew it wouldn't last... "Get Back," The Beatles
sonnethaiku

Post by sonnethaiku »

"Peruse" is another word with two meanings which are opposite.
~ Chessie Joy
jojowasaman

Post by jojowasaman »

sonnethaiku wrote:"Peruse" is another word with two meanings which are opposite.
I was taught that it meant to read quickly, to scan.

I notice Cambridge online dictionary gives this as a possible meaning. While Oxford online and a note in Free Dictionary dot com "reject" this definition. Ah well, I have never been much for prescriptivist grammar or definitions.
You can call me JJ or JoJo: either is fine.
Jojo was a man who thought he was a loner. But he knew it wouldn't last... "Get Back," The Beatles