LibriVox Community Podcast Planning

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

JohanLiebert wrote:
Cori wrote:No, we don't, I'm not really sure why but for some reason archive.org is only deriving OGG files from this, no zips and no 64kb.
Aww... :(
Well I guess I just have to bear with my very slow connection...

If you would like, I can convert the file to mp3 and send it to you via Mediafire.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by bobgon55 »

Cori wrote:No, we don't, I'm not really sure why but for some reason archive.org is only deriving OGG files from this, no zips and no 64kb.
I think the reason is that the podcast files are added cumulatively instead of all at once like a catalog audiobook. Only the first file seems to be given the full conversion treatment at archive.org. I noticed this on a few Internet Archive projects I've done on my own. When I found that you could add files to your pages, I thought that would be a neat way to get going on something that could be shaped along the way rather than thoroughly planned from the get-go.

Bob
Cori

Post by Cori »

No, I did go in and do the rederive step, that's how the OGGs are added in. And I've been adding files to this occasionally for a few years now: http://archive.org/details/mysteriesoflondon_librivox and it has 64kb just fine.

I think it's because it's in Community Audio rather than librivoxaudio -- perhaps we actually have different file derivation rules set up?
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Cori wrote:No, I did go in and do the rederive step, that's how the OGGs are added in. And I've been adding files to this occasionally for a few years now: http://archive.org/details/mysteriesoflondon_librivox and it has 64kb just fine.

I think it's because it's in Community Audio rather than librivoxaudio -- perhaps we actually have different file derivation rules set up?
Hmm... well that's certainly worth investigating. Have you found admins at Internet Archive as quick to answer questions as here at LV? I have trouble even finding how to contact them. :roll:
Cori

Post by Cori »

bobgon55 wrote:Hmm... well that's certainly worth investigating. Have you found admins at Internet Archive as quick to answer questions as here at LV? I have trouble even finding how to contact them. :roll:
It rather depends what we're asking. I've never been in contact, but others have had success asking in their forum. Or there might be something useful in the IA Questions thread.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much, Cori!

Bob
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Algy Pug wrote: If you would like, I can convert the file to mp3 and send it to you via Mediafire.

Cheers

Algy Pug
Thanks for your offer Algy! I've already downloaded it last night... but ti took me like an hour or so to DL it fully... it has been raining terribly that my connection is somewhat intermittent.

Our old podcasts have 64kbps versions... do they derive after quite a time unlike the usual?
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Whoever is in charge ? Cori is it? . We could ask for it to be moved from Community Audio to LibriVox and then it would (probably) derive - let me know and I'll ask them (there are Archive rules about the email address being the owner so they need to have requests match email)
And no they aren't as contactable as us - but considering the number of "your download don't work" complaints we have , they would be totally swamped.

Anne
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

I am planning a podcast on the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, which Bob will be slotting in after the pioneer days/anniversary podcasts. Readers in previous Rubaiyat projects have already been approached for contributions, but anyone else who wishes to can also contribute.

Files should named rubaiyatpodcast_xxx (where xxx represents your user name) and uploaded to Cori's folder (cs).

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by enko »

The podcasts are great.

Has anyone thought about making podcasts intended for people who do not know librivox but are interested about knowing more without reading on the forums, wiki, etc.
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

enko wrote:The podcasts are great.
Firstly, thank you very much. I am glad you are listening to and enjoying the podcasts. :D I wish we could tell how many people listen to individual podcasts, although the Internet Archive page for the 2012 podcasts tallies 11,280 downloads right now. I appreciate your posting your response here.
enko wrote:Has anyone thought about making podcasts intended for people who do not know librivox but are interested about knowing more without reading on the forums, wiki, etc.
An interesting question. The LibriVox Community Podcasts are intended for the entire LibriVox community, so theoretically, anyone familiar with LibriVox is invited to listen. Most topics that are addressed in the podcasts are usually introduced enough so even someone brand new to LV could follow. I should think that if people are really interested in LibriVox, they will very soon want to visit the forums, if not all the nooks and crannies spread across the site. This current Pioneer Days series is a little more specific and I suppose does require some working knowledge of LibriVox in order to be of interest, but in general, the topics are random and informative enough to appeal to any who care about LibriVox, free audiobooks, literature, and related subjects.

Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

LibriVox Community Podcast #129

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #129 hosted by Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55).

Duration: 26m 54s

LibriVox: The Pioneer Days – Part Four of a Five-part Series.

Featuring part two of a conversation with Gesine

[Warning: Some minimal uneven audio in some places due to connection instabilty at times.]

00:00 Intro
01:04 Mystery Special Projects
03:38 Genre Groups & MCs
04:44 Before the Magic Window & New Projects Launch Pad
06:04 LibriVox: Unique Forum & Community
09:24 Criticism
10:45 Cultural Differences
13:15 Gain and/Loss
14:44 Choosing Admins
16:25 Burnout
17:37 Editing
20:58 Esoteric Projects
21:55 LibriVox for readers more than listeners
22:54 Wacky Projects Revisted
24:02 Life Changing Experience? Running Iambik
25:00 Outro

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about this fourth podcast of the series. You may also contribute statistics, comments, and promos to be added to the next and final one, featuring a conversation with Librivox founder Hugh McGuire.

Phil Williams, Voyager Recordings & Publications
Vivian & Phil Williams: Our Programs of Traditional Northwest Fiddling from Pioneer Days to The Present
http://www.voyagerrecords.com/

An email message from Phil Williams of Voyager Records:
Feel free to use any of the recordings in the Northwest Fiddle Field Recordings section. We claim no copyright on them. The concept here is to make available to the public some of the fiddling of the Pacific Northwest, and fiddlers that have come here. If you want to use any material from these, or other CDs we have out, for your projects, just let me know.
Cori

Post by Cori »

Gosh, I think this is a first; got it up to the Internet Archive before Piotrek has listened to it :D
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

OK, I'm here :mrgreen:

As usual I liked the installment, and I can especially relate to the bit about stumbling all over the piece. In my case it usually ends with me hitting "delete"- even on already fiished sections :roll: This is the reason why I usually breathe a great sigh of relief when I'm done reading and the only thing left to do is editing... Of course listening to all the stumbles involves a kind of facepalm moment sometimes, but at least I know there's a happy ending :mrgreen:
As to the wacky projects- there's also the one with reading out the first 100 digits of Pi. Doesn't that one actually take the cake? I mean, I've never listened to it, but just think about the idea :mrgreen: Unless, of course, I got completely misled by the title :lol:

By the way, I guess it's already too late to propose an idea for the Pioneer series, plus the concept in question actually came a few years after the "pioneer days", but don't you think it would be great to mention Phil's videos? I suppose they made an impact, at least that's what I think when I read the feedback in Phil's thread.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
J_N

Post by J_N »

another very interesting podcast, bob - thanks for your work :clap:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!