COMPLETE: The Film of Fear by Arnold Fredericks - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

The Film of Fear by Arnold Fredericks [Frederick Arnold Kummer] (1873 - 1943) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/the-film-of-fear-by-arnold-fredericks/
Ruth Morton is a world-renowned film actress who seems to have it all: youth, beauty, wealth, and a thriving career. But she soon becomes the target of a malicious stalker who begins sending her a series of cryptic threats. Dismissed at first, the stalker soon emerges as a legitimate -- and mysterious -- threat. Morton soon calls upon the services of Richard and Grace Duvall, a husband and wife detective team. But as the Duvalls launch their individual investigations, the mysterious stalker soon begins to terrorize them as well. This is arguably the most popular installment of Fredericks' ongoing series of Duvall mystery novels and one of the first books ever set predominately within the film industry. (Summary by ChuckW)
  1. Is there a deadline? March 2013
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is March 2013.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? 
Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/29498
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.
    If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.
    NOTE TO VOLUNTEERS: Please use the color-coded chapters linked below when reading for your character (they can be found in my GoogleDocs account). Let me know if there are any major errors in those documents. You may also claim multiple small roles as long as (a) the characters you volunteer for do not appear in the same chapter and (b) you make some attempt to differentiate one character's voice from another (even the slightest variation will make it easier on the listener). Please have a good time and let me know if you have any questions and concerns.
    ==========================================

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430
    Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz
    Submit one file per chapter.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].
    If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Chapter [#] of [Title], by [author]. This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.
    At the end: End of Chapter [#]. At the end of the play, add End of [title], by [author].
    Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 filmoffear_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.
    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek - gloriana
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by ChuckW on September 4th, 2012, 7:12 am, edited 8 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Amanda (JoFriday21) and I will be collaborating on this project, so we will technically be BC'ing this together. I will, however, probably take care of most of the day-to-day stuff.

We have already claimed the roles of Richard and Grace Duvall, because... uh... we can. There are also two roles that have been claimed via PM: rhoffman will play Mr. Baker and hggarrett will play Ruth Morton. CatRose has also volunteered to be our DPL.

And that's it (for now).

EDIT: Also, I'll be gone for a few of hours, but if we get in an MC while I'm gone I promise to fill up the MW as soon as I get back. :)
Last edited by ChuckW on June 29th, 2012, 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PROJECTS
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Can't wait! :-)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I can MC, Chuck! I will either be able to put everything up right away, or this evening. :)
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

OK, all set! I think you may need to change "act #" above to "chapter #", yes? Also, I've put Amanda in as co-BC and Chuck as main BC, just in case. Finally, any thoughts on whether the author's name should be Arnold Fredericks or Frederick Arnold Kummer in the database? I know nothing about him so any info would help. :)

Finally, I'd like to read the stalker, please. :twisted:
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Oh dear! I've been sitting on my hands since you first posted this in Suggestions to avoid claiming the narrator. I thought if I held off, when you actually launched it you'd have one and the decision would be made for me. But .... you don't seem to have one so ... please may I read the narration?

ETA: :lol: I just read my paragraph above and it sounds like I'm reluctant to do this. NOT AT ALL! I really want to, but was considering my work load and thought I ought not but I can do it in a timely manner.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

gloriana wrote:OK, all set! I think you may need to change "act #" above to "chapter #", yes? Also, I've put Amanda in as co-BC and Chuck as main BC, just in case. Finally, any thoughts on whether the author's name should be Arnold Fredericks or Frederick Arnold Kummer in the database? I know nothing about him so any info would help. :)

Finally, I'd like to read the stalker, please. :twisted:
Thank you so much, Elizabeth! It's like you're the patron saint of my drama projects! :) I'll change the "act#" to "chapter#," which was just a minor oversight when I was manually converting the template. Not sure about which name to put into the database though. The book itself is credited to Arnold Fredericks (which seems to have been the pseudonym Kummer used for his detective novels... yes, there are plenty more of these!), but Gutenberg and Archive.org credit him as Frederick Arnold Kummer. I'm not sure which I'd go with, although I suspect I'll also put some of the short fiction Kummer wrote under his own name in the next Movies and Hollywood Fiction Collection. I know. Confusing, right? Why did Kummer have to get all bashful about his dalliances with genre fiction?

And I'm as pleased as pie that you've gone all villainous for us. That should be a treat for all of us. :clap:
PROJECTS
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Darvinia wrote:Oh dear! I've been sitting on my hands since you first posted this in Suggestions to avoid claiming the narrator. I thought if I held off, when you actually launched it you'd have one and the decision would be made for me. But .... you don't seem to have one so ... please may I read the narration?

ETA: :lol: I just read my paragraph above and it sounds like I'm reluctant to do this. NOT AT ALL! I really want to, but was considering my work load and thought I ought not but I can do it in a timely manner.
I would love for you to take the narration, Darvinia. It would be a real pleasure to finally work with you. :)

For this project, I had considered breaking the narration down into four chunks (1-6, 7-11, 12-16, 17-21). In part, I did this because the book itself is divided into four sections, but also because I wanted to give readers the option of reading only much narration as they're comfortable with. Which leads me to my next question... would you like to do the narration for the whole book (which, to be fair, is relatively short) or just an isolated section or two?

(Filling the MW out now, by the way.)
PROJECTS
catrose

Post by catrose »

Is the Google doc. version up yet. Can't wait to read it! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia »

Positively the whole thing! I say that from a listener's perspective also. I think it would be too disruptive to change narrator within the book.
Bev

There's nothing you can't prove if your outlook is only sufficiently limited. - Lord Peter Wimsey
I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam - Popeye, the sailor man
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice - Neil Peart
catrose

Post by catrose »

This is sooo much fun. I'm just sitting here refreshing the pages and all the characters are unfolding. It's like watching a film!

Sorry, I get easily excited at night! :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com

A Level exams from 4th May to 30th June. I am around, just not as often. If I forget or miss anything, drop me a PM and I'll be on it like a wasp on honey!
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Darvinia wrote:Positively the whole thing! I say that from a listener's perspective also. I think it would be too disruptive to change narrator within the book.
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Again, very happy to have you onboard! Let me know if you need any help as you go through the chapters. Some chapters are a little heavier on narration (there's in particular that has substantially less dialogue than the rest), and others where you'll read about 500 words or so. It's certainly not a precise science. But let me know if I can assist you in any way.

And thank you again for taking this part. Remind me to pay you back sometime. :)
PROJECTS
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

I'm looking forward to it Chuck! :)
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Darvinia likes narration? Hmmmmm.....

*starts plotting for her next project...* :twisted:
catrose

Post by catrose »

Just to let you know, Google docs aren't on public yet! Just in case you didn't notice or forgot. :D
Cat
charlotteduckett.com