[COMPLETE]The Malay Archipelago V2 by Alfred R. Wallace-arb

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

PL OK.

~S~
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

nlonghu wrote:Section 6 (Chapter 26-Bouru)

(19:25)
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/arb/malayarchipelago_26_wallace.mp3
NOTES

Everything is great right to about 18:53, when the section appears to end. After 5 seconds of silence as per required for outro, there is more material, silence... material, silence... perhaps a splicing issue?

~Susan
Vision issues and routine, long travel make audbiobooks a MUST for me-- THANK YOU. Apologies in advance for ypto's in my posts.
WYSIWYG

Post by WYSIWYG »

GENERAL NOTICE

I'm not doing too well. If I happen to let succeeding sections go un-PLed over the next few weeks and that's a problem, I will not be offended if someone else picks this book up as DPL. I just can't tell yet if I can continue.

~Susan
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

HI Susan,

I am just returning after a month absence and see your last post (from end June). You sound dispirited. Is everything all right now? and can you continue with your wonderful DPLing? I hope you are better now. Let me known where things stand.

BR
Nick
"A book must be the ax for the frozen sea within us." ~Franz Kafka
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Hi Nick
Susan has been posting , but if she finds things too much we'll see about getting someone else
We all know real life gets in the way of good intentions and I'm glad Susan let us know. Back fresh from your holidays I hope - did you notice Susans post above about the missing part ?

Anne
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

Nice to hear from you Annise - back indeed from holiday and ready to continue as before. I would have liked to continue with the enthusiastic support of Susan as DPL- too bad.

I did see the last posting and will see what I can do to correct the problem. A matter of a little editing only perhaps?

All chapters are done, actually - I now just have to clean up the recordings a bit before submission and I am finding this takes time. I am wondering if there are any shortcuts to producing a cleaner version? I saw a youtube video of someone editing mistakes as he went. He had a hand-held recording device, though, which allowed him backtrack and correct just after the mistake and continue recording... Looked pretty handy.

Hopefully

Back again soon,

BR
Nick
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

FYI - it might be some time (a few months- not sure) for me to sort out some of my own important (family) issues before settling back into a regular rhythm things again. As mentioned, all recordings done and saved on my stick so the project is complete in that sense. But my mind and emotions are taken elsewhere for the moment. I'll keep you posted.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Some people do try techniques to edit on the run , I've never found any way to make it easy.
I usually do 2 passes , one fairly quick one to get rid of repeats and phone rings and big spaces , then a more thorough one.
If you get really stuck , just upload them and I will edit some and get help if needed. There ae people who like editing :shock:

Anne
nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

nlonghu

Post by nlonghu »

annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I've sent Susan a PM to see how she is , and we'll see what happens then.

Anne
ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl »

Hi Guys,

I joined recently and I have some spare time to do a PL or two if you need someone to pick up the slack until the regular DPL comes back?
Ill start with Section 9 until otherwise instructed :)

Just tell me if I am stepping on any toes. That is really not my intention

Archadl

EDIT: On second thought. There's an issue with the file for Chapter 9 (It's seems to be missing or the link is broken) so I will skip to Chapter 11. There seems to be a prior PL claim on Chapter 8 (In the Listeners wanted thread)
However, I will need coffee first. It looks like a beast.

EDIT Again: PL DONE for Section 11 (Chapter XXXI)

Firstly, I have been reading through the thread and I have to agree with Susan. You have one of the best reading voices I have heard on LV. At the start I thought that I would find it hard to concentrate on the contents but I am now well and truly hooked.

My notes on the recording as follows:
46:13 A bit of a stutter that breaks the flow of the sentence.at "... and fading off into the pale brown tint..."
53:46 Repeat of "..., while in every box, and under every hoard..." Also, you seem to have substituted the word hoard for the word board. It does not make much of a difference as far as I can tell and I would not have picked it up if it hadn't been for the repeat. Its your call if you want to fix it.
1:04:15 Repeat of "... seen so many rare and beautiful living things" The first one of the two is missing the word living so I assume it was re-recorded to fix that and the the first one was just missed during editing.

Then on a technical point, the Checker utility errored on the length of the recording because it is longer than an hour, but I seem to have read somewhere that up to 70minutes is fine so that it can fit on a regulation CD. I will double check and get back to you.
Also the Volume is quite at the high end of the spectrum at 94.2 dB. It might be worth it to bring this down just a little since some of the s's end up being a little jarring at the volume I was using.

Great job. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for any more of your recordings. For the moment I will help with the PL'ing of this project if you want me to. Just let me know.

Archadl
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

THanks - I'm sorry I'm late in responding , I fixed the link for 9 and then my computer decided not to let me post - but I think it is fixed now, The notes look fine to me - we can go over 760 mins - ithe limit is what will fit on an audio CD so this scrapes in (many listeners burn to disk and listen on CD players - particularly vision impaired ones who find the mp3 players difficult)

So 9 should be right if you wish to continue :D

Anne
ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl »

Hi Anne,

Thanks for the feedback.
I thought it would be fine but didn't want to give the all clear without more information. Now I know.
I will download section 9 now. Hopefully I can give it a listen tonight or tomorrow.
ArchaDl

Post by ArchaDl »

Ok Section 9 done.

Just a couple of Notes:

14:16 Repeat at "and further secured with pegs and rattans."

17:25 There's a sudden shift in volume. I'm not sure if we can do anything about it but please take a listen and decide how you feel about it.

18:46 There's a long pause there with some bad background noise. (Scuffs and Knocks) This disrupts the flow a little. Is there any way we can just substitute that with a different piece of silence?