COMPLETE: Jane Eyre (dramatic read) by Charlotte Brontë - ek

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

Jane Eyre (Dramatic Reading) by Charlotte Brontë (1816 - 1855) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/jane-eyre-dramatic-reading-by-charlotte-bronte/
Jane Eyre is a masterpiece of romance and hardship, penned by beloved author Charlotte Brontë. From a childhood spent as a dependent relation amongst cruel relatives and then as a student at a spirit-crushing charity school, Jane grows to become a remarkable woman: poor and plain in an era that viewed women as little more than ornaments, she believes in her own worth and craves independence and adventure. She becomes governess to a little girl at Thornfield Hall and falls in love with the brooding, Byronic master, Mr. Rochester: a man who hides a terrible secret in Thornfield’s attic. A favorite of readers everywhere since its publication in 1847, Brontë’s novel is one of the most enduring classics of all time. (Summary by Elizabeth Barr)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim. Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator (especially for some of the larger roles). If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are "up for grabs." Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/files/1260/1260-h/1260-h.htm (SEE GOOGLE DOCS BELOW)
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

======================================================

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =======================================================

Genres for the project:
    fiction, literature, romance, religion, teen-young-adult

Keywords that describe the book/play:
    governess; ; love story; ; bildungsroman; ; madwoman; ; mystery; ; orphan; ; romance; ; gothic
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per chapter.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading narration, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Chapter [#] of Jane Eyre (Dramatic Reading) , by Charlotte Brontë . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Chapter [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Jane Eyre (Dramatic Reading) , by Charlotte Brontë .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 janeeyre_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the chapter number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ek-gloriana
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by musicalheart1 on December 4th, 2012, 1:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

This is my first time using the New Project launch pad, so be gentle with me :)

I will be reading Jane- all other parts are up for grabs.

Since this is a dramatic reading, please use the Google docs for the text.

Ideally, everyone should read their parts in a standard British accent. If your character is a servant or pretty much anyone from Morton/Moor House with the exception of the Rivers family and Rosamund Oliver, go for a lower class/regional accent! Adele and Sophie both speak French, Diana Rivers throws out some German, and the Thornfield guests can have fun trying to sound utterly snobbish but all I ask is that everyone does their best! The accents certainly don’t have to be BBC quality :) An ACCURATE reading and clear speech is more important to me, even if it means that speech sounds American or any other non-British tone :P

Any questions about pronunciation (or anything at all), please ask! I’m a big Jane Eyre-nerd and always happy to discuss it!

(note that St. John Rivers is pronounced SIN-GIN)

Because Jane narrates so much of the book, I’ve made an artistic decision to include the voice of the person whose dialogue she is relating whenever possible. This sometimes can lead to word/tense confusion, such as Mrs. Reed saying “She regretted to be under the necessity of keeping me at a distance” rather than “I regret to be under the necessity of keeping you” etc, but I think it will, overall, be much more dramatic and neat sounding this way.

Again, any questions, just ask!
Last edited by musicalheart1 on June 20th, 2012, 8:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

Might I claim Blanche please? :)
miss stav

Post by miss stav »

You are my queen! I thought about doing this myself.
When I thought about it, I got up with an idea that the narrator and Jane Eyre doesn't have to be the same woman. A young Jane is doing the speaking part, and an older Jane Eyre tells us her story as if she is reflecting on it. You don't have to except this idea, I just wanted to shair it with you.
Stav.
Love gothic novels? Try Children Of The Abbey. Like surprising mysteries? Try The Amathist Cross. Looking for an easy read? Try Harriet's Choice.
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

JoFriday21 wrote:Might I claim Blanche please? :)
It's yours, Amanda! Thanks for jumping on-board!

-Elizabeth
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

musicalheart1 wrote:
JoFriday21 wrote:Might I claim Blanche please? :)
It's yours, Amanda! Thanks for jumping on-board!

-Elizabeth

Thank you!
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

miss stav wrote:You are my queen! I thought about doing this myself.
When I thought about it, I got up with an idea that the narrator and Jane Eyre doesn't have to be the same woman. A young Jane is doing the speaking part, and an older Jane Eyre tells us her story as if she is reflecting on it. You don't have to except this idea, I just wanted to shair it with you.
Stav.
Lol, thanks Stav! This has been a brainchild of mine for a while now- I'm so excited about it!

That's an interesting thought- what I've done is have Jane still read all the narration (the "he said"s and so forth) but have Jane as a child be read by another reader. I see what you're saying about having another Jane, like, far into the future Jane, but I think three separate Janes would just be too confusing. Do let me know if you have any other ideas, though!
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

I'll get this set up for you in a minute, Elizabeth...
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

OK, you should be all ready to go - and I've PM'd you your username and password so you can update the MW.

If you don't mind my reading two roles, may I read Miss Temple and Diana Rivers?
CaprishaPage

Post by CaprishaPage »

May I claim Mrs. Fairfax?
Caprisha

I am half agony, half hope. -Jane Austen
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

May I claim Helen Burns? :D
EDIT: And Sarah if I may :)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
MauiPainter

Post by MauiPainter »

I would love to play the terrible Mr. Brocklehurst
Anthony
tahcolonna

Post by tahcolonna »

I'd love to read Adele, if I may? :D
~ Tiffany

"Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." ~ G. K. Chesterton

My LibriVox Recordings

My Website
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

gloriana wrote:I'll get this set up for you in a minute, Elizabeth...
Thanks, Elizabeth! We're in business! :thumbs:
musicalheart1

Post by musicalheart1 »

gloriana, CaprishaPage, JohanLiebert, MauiPainter, and tahcolonna:

Welcome and thank you! I’ve updated the MW- the roles you requested are yours :P