LibriVox Community Podcast Planning

Non-reading activities need your help too!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Piotrek81 wrote:I've just finished listening to the podcast. Great job :clap:
I don't have any specific remarks and questions at the moment, aside from "keep putting together great podcasts". And, of course, I can't wait to listen to part 2.
Thanks so much, Piotrek! It means a lot to have a dedicated podcast listener like you waiting with bated breath for the podcasts as soon as they are released.

I am getting the next three prepared now.

Bob
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

By the way, I noticed that one of the very first books that were recorded for LV was the ill-fated "Mysterious Affair at Styles". Will one of the following "Pioneer Podcasts" cover (or at least mention) the whole legal problem that resulted from it?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Piotrek81 wrote:By the way, I noticed that one of the very first books that were recorded for LV was the ill-fated "Mysterious Affair at Styles". Will one of the following "Pioneer Podcasts" cover (or at least mention) the whole legal problem that resulted from it?
I wasn't planning on it, but if I can get some pioneer who knows about it to do a contribution, I would be glad to include it.
BradBush

Post by BradBush »

Great job on the Podcast. I joined on October 25th, 2005 and was responsible for the theme songs you still use in the podcast. I did a few chapters and a solo project. I still pull a book or two down a year, and still feel responsible for a small bit of the success. So proud of my old friends, Hugh, Kayray, etc.

Brad
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

bobgon55 wrote:
Piotrek81 wrote:By the way, I noticed that one of the very first books that were recorded for LV was the ill-fated "Mysterious Affair at Styles". Will one of the following "Pioneer Podcasts" cover (or at least mention) the whole legal problem that resulted from it?
I wasn't planning on it, but if I can get some pioneer who knows about it to do a contribution, I would be glad to include it.
This is a celebration - maybe we should let sleeping dogs lie

Anne
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

BradBush wrote:Great job on the Podcast. I joined on October 25th, 2005 and was responsible for the theme songs you still use in the podcast. I did a few chapters and a solo project. I still pull a book or two down a year, and still feel responsible for a small bit of the success. So proud of my old friends, Hugh, Kayray, etc.

Brad
Nice to be in touch with you, Brad. I had heard you composed the LV podcast theme from listening to past podcasts. If you would like to contribute a little audio to one of the upcoming segments, I'd love to have you as part of one of them. I'm especially interested in the story of the theme. How did it come about? Did Jim Mowatt ask you or did you suggest that the podcast needed a theme? What process did you go through in creating it? Did it take a lot of different tries and go through different versions before ending up as it did? What inspired you to make it like that? Had you composed musical themes before? What's your musical background? Did you personally record the three variations we have? All of them sound like analog recording and not synthesized. Is that right?

Also, anything you would like to say about what it felt like for you during those early days would be great.

Bob
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

annise wrote:
bobgon55 wrote:
This is a celebration - maybe we should let sleeping dogs lie

Anne
I don't think of this as a skeleton in the closet, what little I know of it. How much of a big deal was it? It was recorded, the Agatha Christie estate asserted that it was infringing copyright law, demanded it be removed from the catalog, and it was removed. Is this anything to be ashamed of or hide away somewhere? It was, if nothing else, a learning experience, a "growing pain," which I and I think others are and should be interested in.

Then again, if no one that who knew anything more about this volunteers to make a statement about it, then it won't make its way into any of the podcasts.

Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on June 15th, 2012, 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Cori

Post by Cori »

bobgon55 wrote:I don't think of this as a skeleton in the closet, what little I know of it. How much of a big deal was it? It was recorded, the Agatha Christie estate asserted that it was infringing copyright law, demanded it be removed from the catalog, and it was removed. Is this anything to be ashamed of or hide away somewhere? It was, if nothing else, a learning experience, a "growing pain," which I and I think others are and should be interested in.
I agree with Anne. It's not hidden away, it's listed at the top of our thread 'Books that aren't in the PD and why' ... but it's possible it would spark off a messy "but that's not fair" that just doesn't seem worth it. It's not the only author's estate that we've come into contact with (see catalogue pages for H.G Wells and James Joyce, for example) but I don't think it's a particularly useful learning experience. Perhaps if someone was doing a show specifically about copyrights, it would be relevant, but otherwise there's so much else to talk about in these podcasts ...
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Cori wrote:
bobgon55 wrote:I don't think of this as a skeleton in the closet, what little I know of it. How much of a big deal was it? It was recorded, the Agatha Christie estate asserted that it was infringing copyright law, demanded it be removed from the catalog, and it was removed. Is this anything to be ashamed of or hide away somewhere? It was, if nothing else, a learning experience, a "growing pain," which I and I think others are and should be interested in.
I agree with Anne. It's not hidden away, it's listed at the top of our thread 'Books that aren't in the PD and why' ... but it's possible it would spark off a messy "but that's not fair" that just doesn't seem worth it. It's not the only author's estate that we've come into contact with (see catalogue pages for H.G Wells and James Joyce, for example) but I don't think it's a particularly useful learning experience. Perhaps if someone was doing a show specifically about copyrights, it would be relevant, but otherwise there's so much else to talk about in these podcasts ...
Thanks for the references, Cori! I wasn't aware of these pages yet. I'm fine with leaving it out, though it would be interesting to hear about these cases in a copyright podcast, if someone ever wants to do one.
Rowland

Post by Rowland »

Very interesting Podcast Bob! :thumbs:

Lars
Good friends are like angels... ...you don't have to see them to know they are there
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Rowland wrote:Very interesting Podcast Bob! :thumbs:

Lars
Thanks, Lars!
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

LibriVox Community Podcast #127

Listen to LibriVox Community Podcast #127 hosted by Bob Gonzalez (bobgon55).

Duration: 32m 01s

LibriVox: The Pioneer Days – Part Two of a Four-part Series.

Featuring a conversation with Sean McGaughey (ductapeguy)

1:42 – Joining LibriVox & Uploaders
2:33 – Proof listening
4:07 – Anti-Wild West
4:58 – Criticism
7:05 – Boing boing Announcement
8:36 – Growing Pains – Quirky Projects
10:37 – LibriVox Community Podcast
13:00 – Public domain
14:27 – Listening – Readers First
16:04 – LV Ontario Group Gathering
17:07 – Out of the ordinary project – Who Was Who?
19:01 – Thou shalts
19:54 – Core Contribution of LibriVox to World Knowledge
21:16 – The Secret Sauce
22:23 – The 100th chapter
23:44 – The mission – vision – vision statement
25:28 – Forum moderation
26:13 – Burnout & “podfade” at Podcamp Toronto
30:15 – Admin Tasks
31:09 – Outro

We are interested in whatever feedback – positive or constructively critical – anyone has about this second podcast of the series. You may also contribute statistics, comments, and promos to be added to the next two, which have the featured interviews already set.
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

The link needs fixing- it says "126".

I've just finished listening and, again, I must say that it was very interesting- early days, the evolution of methods and policies, etc. I will definitely have to give those podcasts another listen when they are all done.
Two things ductapeguy mentioned that I can really relate to are: the struggle to get the LAME to work (some things haven't changed much despite the few years that have passed, it seems :mrgreen: ) and the moderator burnout. I was a moderator of a forum for over 4 years, and I was moderating two others for shorter period of time, and I totally agree that a day comes whan you can no longer bring yourself to remind people of some things for a 1000th time, and when you have enough of policing the rules.
The part about reader burnout made me think, too (though in my case the chief problem seems to be the frustration over my impatience, rather than burnout as such...).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to part 3. "Keep recording those podcasts and sending them into the public domain" :thumbs:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
bobgon55

Post by bobgon55 »

Thanks so much, Piotrek! :D Again, it's really gratifying and motivating to have a podcast fan waiting to hear the podcast the minute it is released.

I guess that link was fixed since you posted your message.

I am starting to edit the interview with Gesine right now. It's pretty long and I may split it into two podcasts because I think 30 - 45 minutes is about the maximum length for a podcast.

I can only imagine what you say about the frustrations of moderating. Not a fun job. Especially for no pay.

Thanks again for your interest and support!

By the way, have you seen the new Facebook LibriVox readers and Listeners Group? Maybe you would like to join? It's wonderful to converse with LV friends on that interface.

Bob
Last edited by bobgon55 on June 27th, 2012, 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
earthcalling

Post by earthcalling »

Bob and Sean - that was a wonderful interview. Thank you both. It's great to hear two people who really know the inside-outs of LibriVox talk at length and in depth... and so generously too.

:clap:

David