Help with French, please--The French pronunciation thread

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

I am preparing to record Section 23 in "The Stones of Venice", and it includes a footnote (#67) with a little more French in it than I can manage. In fact, I would mangle it until laughable. Is there a possibility that someone could record the following two phrases for me so that I could insert them into the appropriate place in the footnote?

"les plus carnassiers, et proportion gardee avec leur taille, les plus cruels de l'ordre;"

"tout l'organisation de son cerveau annonce qu'il ne doit pas être dépourvu de la docilité qu'ils (les anciens) lui attribuaient."

I'm sorry to trouble someone about this. I usually try to scan the texts for language variations that I can't manage before claiming a section, but in this case, I didn't check the footnotes--! :oops:

Thanks for any assistance!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

There's almost always help on LV when you ask for it :D

There you go.
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/xx/lubeefrench.mp3
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Oh, thank you so much!! I truly did not expect a reply until possibly next week sometime. (Your French sounds so lovely to my American ears--I believe that you could make the telephone book sound romantic! :) )

And, by the way, at the end of my section, I will say "Recording by Lucretia B." And so shall I add "...and French by _____________"--and if so, what name shall I use for the attribution?

I truly appreciate your help with this. It would have ruined the recording had I attempted to do it myself, believe me!
Kind regards,
Lucretia
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Well, you don't really need to say my name, really. But if you must, then it's Nadine Eckert-Boulet (good luck with pronouncing it :D). You could also just say neckertb (that's "neckert-B" at least in my head :D)
Is there any phone book that is PD? :wink:
Nadine

lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Oh, great--!! :roll: So, is that like "ek-ert (as it looks) boolay"--? Or "ek-air boolay"--? I'm sorry. I'm just hopeless on everything but plain-Jane American-ese, I guess. But my intention on giving you credit was meant as a thank you!! :)
Kind regards,
Lucretia
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

lubee930 wrote: So, is that like "ek-ert (as it looks) boolay"--?
That's the way, yes. It is a tricky name, half German half French, no one knows how to pronounce it when they see it :D
Nadine

bridgester

Post by bridgester »

Help please! Forvo is a great help, but these phrases are a little too much for me to grasp using them.
A recording with these so that I can hear each phrase strung together would be a tremendous help.

M. Th. Bentzon (I don't know if this name is strictly French, but I don't know how "M. Th." should be said

Le Maïtre d'École de Flat Creek

diable m'emporte

L'Eglise des Raclées

Jim epelait vite comme l'eclair

Concours d'epellation

Je n'ai pas chassé ce lièvre-la

qui exprime la laideur choquante de l'enfant

cordelle (meaning to tow a boat by a rope carried along the shore)

Thank you in advance!
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=3584][color=#b052e7]Bridgester's LV Projects[/color][/url]
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Hi!

I won't be able to do this before tomorrow evening, but if no one else comes before I will record it then.
:D
Nadine

bridgester

Post by bridgester »

Hi Nadine, that will be fine. :)
[url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=3584][color=#b052e7]Bridgester's LV Projects[/color][/url]
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Hi!

I want to record the missing chapter of Les Miserables volume 3. However, there are french names (I think they're french) that I'm not sure how to pronounce. Here they are:

Courfeyrac
Gorbeau
sous <-- I know this isn't a name, but idk how to pronounce this too
Rue des Mathurins
Thenardier
Montfermeil
Chelles

Merci! :D (that at least I know how to pronounce!)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
ezwa
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ezwa »

Bridgester, Nadine, I went ahead (I hope it was not while you were busy doing it, Nadine):
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/frenchforbridgester_20120629.mp3
I don't think Bentzon is a typical French name. But hey, I could be mistaken.

And here's for you, Johan: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/ez/frenchforJohanLiebert_20120629.mp3
Ezwa

« Heureux qui... sait d'une voix légère passer du grave au doux, du plaisant au sévère »
Boileau
« Soyez joyeux dans l'espérance, patients dans la tribulation, persévérants dans la prière. »
Rm 12:12

Envie de lire du dramatique ?
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Ezwa, thank you :D When I saw the notification I realized I had of course forgotten everything about it :oops:

I was busy, doing something completely different!
Nadine

bridgester

Post by bridgester »

Thanks a bunch, Ezwa!
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

Thank you very much Ezwa! :D
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Lilith1966

Post by Lilith1966 »

Hello, if anyone has any time could they please help me out with the correct pronunciation of this little bit of French? :help:

"L'actrice la plus noble dans ses manières, Madame Siddons, ne perd rien de sa dignité quand elle se prosterne contre terre."

and

chef d'œuvre

Thanks,
Tara