Foreign Languages

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Anita san & April san,
I've started my new project.
Among 25 stories several are written using only Kana.

Examples are
Saru to Samurai http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000121/files/43398_16104.html
Nagareboshi http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000121/files/43404_16106.html
Michiko san http://www.aozora.gr.jp/cards/000121/files/43408_16107.html

Some expressions are a bit old. Actually Kata Kana was widely used 70 years ago.

I hope you will do proof listening for my project.

Cheers,
Masa
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

ekzemplaro wrote:Actually Kata Kana was widely used 70 years ago.
yay! Katakana! I'd sure welcome those for a change! :clap:
I'll look forward to the Shooting star! :)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
Nephitejnf

Post by Nephitejnf »

English in my native language, I took German and Spanish at the same time in 7th grade. I ended up dropping Spanish after that year and went all through the rest of school in german. I took a bit over half a year of Japanese, online course that utilized videos in the first quarter, so sound were exposed at first, took off on my own for a bit and still not quite got all the kana memorized. And have also recently added a little Klingon to the mix.
AnitaGuida

Post by AnitaGuida »

ekzemplaro wrote:Hello Anita san & April san,

I don't think I ever saw so much Japanese characters together! :shock:
Even though I can’t understand the katakana part. ^.^’
Do I have to post my name in the project if you and April still want my help (only with the hiragana part)?
JohanLiebert

Post by JohanLiebert »

AnitaGuida wrote:
ekzemplaro wrote:Hello Anita san & April san,

I don't think I ever saw so much Japanese characters together! :shock:
Even though I can’t understand the katakana part. ^.^’
Do I have to post my name in the project if you and April still want my help (only with the hiragana part)?
You are most welcome to come aboard Anita! I can't PL anything right now.. so your help would be lovely!
I don't know if it's possible but I'll try and ask Ava if you could be my co-DPL :)
April Gonzales :D
blog

Marie Antoinette & the Downfall of Royalty

I will not be around the forums for quite a time but I'll log-in whenever there's time. Please PM me if you need to talk with me. Thanks!

Animo La Salle!
AnitaGuida

Post by AnitaGuida »

JohanLiebert wrote:You are most welcome to come aboard Anita! I can't PL anything right now.. so your help would be lovely!
I don't know if it's possible but I'll try and ask Ava if you could be my co-DPL :)
Oh, that would be good, I have never done this, but I've already seen the texts and audios, and I think I can do it.
Please let me know if that is possible and what do I have to do. :D
carolb

Post by carolb »

Hi Anita.

Just ignore me if you've already seen this: Proof Listening but if you haven't it's a really helpful guide...
and then of course Phil has produced Some Really Useful Videos, which include proof-listening guides!

You can enjoy and learn while you're waiting for a reply!

Carol
AnitaGuida

Post by AnitaGuida »

carolb wrote:Hi Anita.

Just ignore me if you've already seen this: Proof Listening but if you haven't it's a really helpful guide...
and then of course Phil has produced Some Really Useful Videos, which include proof-listening guides!

You can enjoy and learn while you're waiting for a reply!

Carol
Hi

I have seen the first one, not the second, I'm sure I'll find it very useful. Thank you so much. :D
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Nephitejnf san,
Welcome to LibriVox.
>> I took a bit over half a year of Japanese
I suppose you can join our Japanese PL team.

sjmarky san write in his signature.
It will seem difficult at first, but everything seems difficult at first. ~ Miyamoto Musashi
Miyamoto Musashi is a famous samurai.

Hello Anita san,
Please proof listen my recordings. You are very welcome. Please volunteer at this thread.

Hello Carol san,
Thank you for your advice.
As I haven't done proof listening yet, your advice is adequate.

Cheers,
Masa
J_N

Post by J_N »

Mother tongue: German (Austrian variation)

Fluent: English (9 yrs in school [11 if you count elementary school], 1 yr at university and I did my Master [Professional Translating for European Languages] in Newcastle (UK))

OK:
French (5 yrs in school, I can read and - if spoken slowly without swallowing half of the letters - understand it and I used to be able to write quite decently, but my grammar and vocab is kinda rusty [it has been 10 yrs]... talking is a no-no :D)

Japanese (bachelor in Japanese studies, which means 2 yrs of serious language learning - I get by but I am far from fluent, i can read easier texts like Sakura Momoko or children books and once upon a time I had to know all 1945 Joyo Kanji but now I am probably only left with 500 I really know and another 500 that in a text I might understand)

Little: Korean & Chinese (I took one semester of each at university)

And than there are several languages where I know "Hello" "Thank you" and stuff like that - picked up on holidays

Julia

PS: I am very fond of languages :lol

Edit: Forgot to mention Austrian Sign Language... but only very basic stuff like introduction, colours, days, vacations... :)
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

J_N wrote:I did my Master [Professional Translating for European Languages] in Newcastle (UK))
I studied translation, too. I understand that your primary language combination was German to English?
French (...) I can read and - if spoken slowly without swallowing half of the letters - understand it and I used to be able to write quite decently, but my grammar and vocab is kinda rusty [it has been 10 yrs]... talking is a no-no :D)
I can sooo relate to that, especially the speaking part :mrgreen: Except, my writing has always been awful. We were primarily taught to translate French texts into Polish. Of course, as soon as I passed my final exam, I ditched French, so it has deteriorated greatly. Not that it has ever been good... :mrgreen:
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
J_N

Post by J_N »

Piotrek81 wrote: I studied translation, too. I understand that your primary language combination was German to English?
At university the focus was on English into German... it's always easier to translate into your mother tongue - you have more control, more words to use :) but I have been translating German into English at my work and for a while during university I translated Japanese manga [=comics] into English and German in my spare time
I can sooo relate to that, especially the speaking part :mrgreen: Except, my writing has always been awful. We were primarily taught to translate French texts into Polish. Of course, as soon as I passed my final exam, I ditched French, so it has deteriorated greatly. Not that it has ever been good... :mrgreen:
I hated my teacher... she was always going on about how I pretended not to be able to speak in French (because my written texts were always really good, but speaking has never been easy for me - my brain's wired for written language ;)) like I enjoyed getting bad marks for oral exams... :roll: so when school was over I stopped learning French, but now I wish I had continued... I could be as fluent as English if I had :evil:
Julia - Introverts, unite! Seperately... in your own homes.

Spend your free time the way you like, not the way you think you're supposed to. ― Susan Cain

Author death +70 yrs? Legamus!
neckertb

Post by neckertb »

Piotrek81 wrote: I can sooo relate to that, especially the speaking part :mrgreen: Except, my writing has always been awful. We were primarily taught to translate French texts into Polish. Of course, as soon as I passed my final exam, I ditched French, so it has deteriorated greatly. Not that it has ever been good... :mrgreen:
Tsk, tsk, tsk, French is so easy :wink:
Nadine

Les enfants du capitaine Grant

Live in a death + 70 country? Have a look at Legamus
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Yeah, especially:
- numerals
- listening comprehension (at the uni, our "beloved" instruction was "write down the phone number" :roll: )
- spelling

:twisted: :mrgreen:

Yesterday, I visited the local language school asking what holiday language courses they offer in Italian. It turned out that the most advanced one they have covers the grammar material, which I've already covered when studying on my own. The question I now keep asking myself is: "Should I subscribe anyway for the sake of conversation (that's the part I'm missing most, as I don't have many opportuities to speak) and listening comprehension exercises"?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Grüss Gott Julia san,
J_N wrote:I translated Japanese manga [=comics] into English and German in my spare time
I wonder if you voluntter to proof listen my recording.
I've recorded 'Trokko' by Akutagawa Ryunosuke. Please visit Multilingual Short Works Collection 002 - Poetry & Prose.
Piotrek81 wrote:- numerals
- listening comprehension (at the uni, our "beloved" instruction was "write down the phone number" :roll: )
- spelling
I read number plates to blush up numerals.

Cheers,
Masa