Copyrighted Lists of Books

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

I had a question, because I was considering making some additions to the wiki. I came across a list of 1001 Books to Read Before You Grow Up. I know, I know, eyes roll at lists that are always telling us what to read, right? :lol:

Still, its a fun list, and looking over it I was floored by how much we had on Librivox. Its becoming a very popular resource for parents to find books their kids are sure to enjoy, so I thought it might do well ot have a Librivox wiki page about which books we can provide. I didnt know how this worked necessarily with the list being part of a copyrighted book. I wouldnt copy the list, only show which ones we have that are on the list. I noticed that we have a list of the Ambleside books. But I wasn't really sure how it worked, and before started on aynthing, wanted to make sure it was ok.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I don't know.

Is it the same list as this thread? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=24081

EDIT: Err, probably not, since this list is adult books. But see if you can find the list online.
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsL5YAzCgrJbdFJnYU96bkVOUUU4dHZIR1Z6QjNTM1E&hl=en#

Thats the list. Has most of my childhood favorites :)

I could do the same for both lists, if I finished one. Would give me something to do while I'm proof listening.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wow. I can't do anything verbal (read, copy, anything with words) while proof listening. I THINK I'm comprehending what I'm hearing, but when I rewind and replay, it's all new to me. :shock:

Off to a funeral...
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

I spend most of my day copy pasting and doing data entry, so I suppose I've just gotten used to it.

I just wanted to make sure I'm not violating any rules since this list has been recently published elsewhere.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
jollyrogered

Post by jollyrogered »

Off to a funeral...
Very sorry to hear that.
duck... duck... ZOMBIE!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

It was an 88 year old man, no relation to me. I just did the sound and helped serve the luncheon afterwards. Sad, but not AS sad as it could have been. :)

I think linking from the Wiki to your Google Doc might be good, rather than putting the whole list in the Wiki. It would be great if you could note which have been done - maybe provide the catalog page link in a new column?

I can't see someone squawking about you sharing their (copyrighted) list in this way.