COMPLETE [DRAM.READ] Circe: Ep 15 of Ulysses - chocoholic

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Circe: Ep. 15 of Ulysses by James Joyce (1882-1941)

This project is complete! The audio files are part of Ulysses (version 2) and can be found here:
https://librivox.org/ulysses-version-2-by-james-joyce/

As of May 2012:
Availle is the BC for Circe
aradlaw is DPL/editor
chocoholic is MC

Main project thread for Ulysses here. This thread is just for episode 15: Circe, which is a drama within the novel.
Note: This is version 2 of Ulysses for LibriVox. The first version was highly experimental; this one will be a 'straight' reading except for the "Circe" episode, which is to be recorded as a play with a full cast of characters.

One of the most important works of Modernist literature, Ulysses has been called "a demonstration and summation of the entire movement". - The book chronicles the passage of Leopold Bloom through Dublin during an ordinary day, 16 June 1904 (the day of Joyce's first date with his future wife, Nora Barnacle). The title alludes to Odysseus (latinised into Ulysses), the hero of Homer's Odyssey, and establishes a series of parallels between characters and events in Homer's poem and Joyce's novel (e.g., the correspondences between Leopold Bloom and Odysseus, Molly Bloom and Penelope, and Stephen Dedalus and Telemachus). Joyce fans worldwide now celebrate 16 June as Bloomsday. (Summary from Wikipedia)
Please note!
Obviously this is a difficult read. In this version we're striving for textual accuracy where possible, so please take some care to figure out what something means if it's not immediately clear.
-- The text contains many different languages. If you're not sure about pronunciation, please post in the Help Wanted forum.
-- Many things only make sense when one digs a little deeper into the meaning. There is a lot of help on the internet, e.g. Spark Notes for a list of characters, and episode summaries.
-- If in doubt about something, please post here.
-- Before claiming, please look at the text for the section.
-- I'm going to be quite ruthless about the deadline for submissions, so please make sure you hand in your section 2 months after the claim date, or ask for an extension.

1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1 month of placing your claim Please note that if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after one month, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it’ll go back to the pool. There’s no shame in this; we’re all volunteers and things happen.
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here
    To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them are “up for grabs.” Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you’d like to read. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.
  3. New to recording?
    Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text?
    The text has been split into sections. Please click 'Link to text' in the Notes field, and only read from that text.
    (For information only: source text: http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/4300)
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Special Rules for this project:
    -- Deadline: 1 month for all roles (except Narrator, Stephen, Bloom, Zoe)
    -- You can claim only one role per part.
    -- I'd prefer gender-specific casting - there's enough for everyone! :wink:
    -- Please read from the text specified in the last entries of the magic window. Roles with several lines or appearing in several parts have been color-coded.

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:

Channels: 1 (Mono)

Bit Rate: 128 kbps

Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per role and part.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:

[Role], read by [your name].

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:

Save files as 128 kbps MP3 circe_[part number*]_[role].mp3 (all lower-case).
    Please write first and last names together where applicable, e.g. Private Compton: circe_3_privatecompton.mp3, and where a character starts with 'the' leave it out, e.g. The Virago: circe_1_virago.mp3.
    [* Part number] refers to the 'Chapter #" in this project, not the section # of the character being read. :wink:

ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual roles.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)

Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader (when your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread):

http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)

You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: law - chocoholic
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by Gesine on July 3rd, 2010, 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

This dramatic reading is now finally open...

Enjoy the reading - you can put in as much acting as you like! - and note the special rules for this project written in orange just above the magic window.

I guess this is the drama with the largest set of roles librivox has ever done - let's see how fast we can do this... :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

When you say one role per part, you mean the acts? I'd be willing to fill up a role or more if possible/needed:)

anyways, here's Cissy Caffrey, I hope it's okay that it's all in one file. If not, I'll split it up for you:)

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/circe_cissycaffrey.mp3
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Yes, part/act... It's not really a drama, so technically there are no acts...

You can still read a role in section/part/act 2,3,4,5 if you like.

It would be great if you could split up the recording. I think this whole thing will be a lot of work for everyone involved back here anyway... :?
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Sure:) Kinda forgot it was split when I recorded it:P

Well, then I would like to claim:
43 - Martha
81 - A Millionairess
162 - The Moth
184 - The Nymph
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

All yours, thanks Kristin! :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have just signed myself up for seven one liners throughout all sections.

I cannot decide whether the screeching doorhandle or the cuckooing timepiece will be my weirdest role ever... :lol:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

I'll no doubt sign up for more roles later, but for now can I take the following?

The Fan (Part 5)
Patrice (Part 7)

EDIT: Actually, I have to ask--is the Fan a woman's role? It's so hard to tell in this book!
Last edited by ChuckW on May 4th, 2012, 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

The Retriever:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/law/circe_retriever_7.mp3

[bows]

I'll be back to claim more when I've finished some other recordings that are waiting for me. Since you can't identify my voice in this one (I sincerely hope), shall I take another role in part 7? (You might say the same about your doorhandle and clock. :))
Laurie Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Laurie Anne! :clap:

Personally I will wait and see how it goes. If it goes nowhere, I'll reclaim something, but for now...

You can claim anything anywhere, I'll be happy to take it. Maybe some longer part? :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
chocoholic
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by chocoholic »

Ava, I can't access all the Google docs. VII is OK but some of the others are asking for a login. [edit: It's 3, 4, and 6 I can't get into.]

So would you rather have 7 little roles out of the way or one bigger one? :)

(p.s. Don't miss ChuckW's claim up above.)
Laurie Anne
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Chuck for claiming, everything is yours :wink:

Thanks Laurie Anne for pointing me to that post, and for remembering that I will have to pm David about those three documents... ETA: Any role you claim is fine with me, big or small... whatever strikes your fancy, as we say around here :wink:

Boy did I have a busy evening :roll: I hope everything will be okay soon!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
ChuckW

Post by ChuckW »

Availle wrote:Thanks Chuck for claiming, everything is yours :wink:

Thanks Laurie Anne for pointing me to that post, and for remembering that I will have to pm David about those three documents...

Oh, so The Fan is a gender-neutral role? Good to know!
PROJECTS
Current Solo:Septimius Felton (Hawthorne's final novel)
Help Needed: Strange Interlude (O'Neill's Freudian melodrama - roles available!)
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

ChuckW wrote:
Availle wrote:Thanks Chuck for claiming, everything is yours :wink:

Thanks Laurie Anne for pointing me to that post, and for remembering that I will have to pm David about those three documents...

Oh, so The Fan is a gender-neutral role? Good to know!
It's a fan for a woman, so it's probably a female role. But I think you can play it in a somewhat coquettisch manner (provided you don't have too deep a bass voice), and then it will sound great and add some spice to the whole thing! :mrgreen:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
JoFriday21

Post by JoFriday21 »

I can take on Zoe if you'd like :)