[Wikisource]: Spoken Wikisource , Statutes At Large , &c.

Non-reading activities need your help too!
Sfan00

Post by Sfan00 »

Wikisource aims to record 'free' texts (in many languages)
i)
It also apparently has a portal for spoken works :

http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Portal:Audio_recordings

Is it appropriate to ask Libriviox contributors if they would also be willing to contribute to Wikisource ?

ii)
On a more specific note, I'm in the process of transcribing portions of 'The Statutes of Large'. Are there any bits of pre
Act of Union(ie pre 1707) English Legislation that any wants to record an Audio version of, so that I can focus priority on the transcription?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Sure, you can ask if anyone wants to record there as well. I think you just did. ;)

I cannot answer your second question. For me, personally, no. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I looked at the wiki link - it's a good idea but it does suggest people submit LibriVox readings and that seems a waste of resources in a way - Archive is already having to pay for storing them , and putting links to them on the wikii pages seems to me a better use of the resources and leaves us with one copy to maintain in case of errors etc.

My point of view - not in any way an official one

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

My impression was that he was asking if LV readers would want to submit non-LV recordings to Wikisource. You know, similar to when others come and ask for non-LV recordings from our readers.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

I'll edit my reply - I didn't make it clear . The link he gave leads to a suggestion to upload LibriVox :D

Anne
Sfan00

Post by Sfan00 »

Wikiosurce uses Wikimedia Commons for hosting it's audio recordings.

Of course, You presumably have no objections to Librivox recordings being mirrored there?
Cori

Post by Cori »

None whatsoever -- archive.org has a few mirrors already, but more are always welcome.

(With the proviso, as Anne noted, that for practical reasons, we can only update files at archive.org, so a process to propagate those changes would be pretty neat, if there's an automagical way for Wikisource to spot when the archive.org page changes. Changes are rare but do happen: see our Errors forum for an idea of the scale here.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Sfan00 wrote:ii) On a more specific note, I'm in the process of transcribing portions of 'The Statutes of Large'. Are there any bits of pre Act of Union(ie pre 1707) English Legislation that any wants to record an Audio version of, so that I can focus priority on the transcription?
I'd recommend starting a new topic for this in the Book Suggestions forum, with a link to online versions of the suggested titles where possible. That's the best way to catch people's attention and perhaps find an interested reader or two. If there aren't online texts, then it's much much harder to get readers, since most people won't want to head to the library to hunt down paper copies, and it's more of a pain for us to do the copyright evidencing, too.

(P.S. Which Union? Is this a US thing? The 'English Legislation' made me think of the UK, but 1707 doesn't ring any bells for me. Not that I'm any great history expert.)
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
Sfan00

Post by Sfan00 »

Cori wrote:
Sfan00 wrote:ii) On a more specific note, I'm in the process of transcribing portions of 'The Statutes of Large'. Are there any bits of pre Act of Union(ie pre 1707) English Legislation that any wants to record an Audio version of, so that I can focus priority on the transcription?
I'd recommend starting a new topic for this in the Book Suggestions forum, with a link to online versions of the suggested titles where possible. That's the best way to catch people's attention and perhaps find an interested reader or two. If there aren't online texts, then it's much much harder to get readers, since most people won't want to head to the library to hunt down paper copies, and it's more of a pain for us to do the copyright evidencing, too.

(P.S. Which Union? Is this a US thing? The 'English Legislation' made me think of the UK, but 1707 doesn't ring any bells for me. Not that I'm any great history expert.)
The "Act of Union" is what joined the Kingdoms of England and Scotland into a single United Kingdom :)

The entry point for the ongoing transcription project is here : http://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Author:Owen_Ruffhead,

The scans are mirrored on Wikimedia Commons - (archive.org has the original scans)