Pro tools? Morphs into using AutoHotKeys in Audacity.

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Bedelman

Post by Bedelman » April 14th, 2012, 2:42 pm

Ok. Well, that long piece of advice I found on-line...I have downloaded the newest Audacity...2.0 I think. And it has many new added features. I was able, actually after HOURS of noodling around, to do everything in that little advice cheat sheet.

Here is what i have learned for anyone who is interested. If you do your edits on a second track (append record) and you then go back and edit it in...using keyboard commands makes the editing MUCH quicker, and also splitting the silences (CTRL+ALT+K) and also using the time shift tool makes the new edit just slide into place ALMOST seamlessly. At least...its GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME!!!

i did find that forcing myself to navigate the editing using keyboard commands all in all made the editing process much speedier and easier. I am now forging into the wild world of using a labeling track.

I think I've opened a pandora's box of crazy here.....but...I can always go back to using the old way.

Still can't figure out how to play back the preceeding sentence and jump in with the corrected sentence in perfect time....but I may just let that go. The point of this post...is that if anyone else is editing obsessed, that cheat sheet is helpful. (and do-able, even for the computer impaired.)

CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall » April 16th, 2012, 2:48 am

After a lot of investigation I did manage to do full punch-and-roll recording in Audacity (you found my discussion on the audacity forum). Eventually I used Phil Chenevert's AutoHotkey script which I modified to do a 5 or 10 second playback before recording. I have pasted a copy of the script below. This script cuts from the cursor position to the end of the file, replays the 5 seconds before the cursor, and then appends the new recording onto the end of the file.

I don't do punch-and-roll now. I found it uncomfortable. I think that using two screens would help - I had to switch between the e-reader and the recording software. It would have got better, no doubt. However, it can be really annoying if you stumble over the same bit several times!

My solution to improving recording efficiency was to get really, really quick at editing. There are some tricks to this, but you need to find what works for you. Keyboard shortcuts are a great help.

Cori and Ruthie are spot on about drop-ins - you have to control the sound space to make the drop-in sound the same at a later date. This saves a lot of fiddling.

Clive [fizzcat]

;Punch and Roll with 5 second replay
{
!Q::
send, +K
send, z
send, {Delete}
send, ,,,,,
sleep 1000
Send, {Space}
sleep 5000
send, k
send, {space}
send, k
send, {space}
sleep 100
send, +R
return
}
Return

Bedelman

Post by Bedelman » April 16th, 2012, 11:34 am

Thank you SO MUCH. I cannot wait to give it a try.

Its so funny...I searched high and low and the answer was able to be found on the Librivox forum. Wahoo!

:clap:

Bedelman

Post by Bedelman » April 16th, 2012, 11:40 am

I am using a MacBook Pro, Fizzcat. What button corresponds to the SEND button you refer to?

CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall » April 16th, 2012, 1:07 pm

send is an autohotkey program command that sends keystrokes to audacity as if the keys were pressed directly. You need to install and run the autohotkey system to get this script to work. Autohotkey is another program that sits in the background and in this case sends a stream of commands to Audacity to automate a series of commands.

Phil: Do you have some information about using autohotkey scripts?

You need to google for autohotkey to find out ome information about this.

Clive

philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert » April 16th, 2012, 6:12 pm

CliveCatterall wrote:send is an autohotkey program command that sends keystrokes to audacity as if the keys were pressed directly. You need to install and run the autohotkey system to get this script to work. Autohotkey is another program that sits in the background and in this case sends a stream of commands to Audacity to automate a series of commands.

Phil: Do you have some information about using autohotkey scripts?
You need to google for autohotkey to find out ome information about this.
Clive
I actually made a video about installing them Installing HotKey Scripts in Audacity but it is of course for windows..... surely there can't be that much difference . ? :roll:

once you get past the first sorta boriong part which explains what AHK can do, it gets to the important stuff of how to install the program and put in your first script.
Phil Chenevert, The LibriVox Video Guy
I was addicted to the hokey pokey but I turned myself around .

Need Help? Lots of Helpful Videos Here

CliveCatterall

Post by CliveCatterall » April 17th, 2012, 12:35 am

:D Phil - I just knew you'd have sorted something out on this. :clap:
philchenevert wrote: I actually made a video about installing them Installing HotKey Scripts in Audacity but it is of course for windows..... surely there can't be that much difference . ? :roll:

once you get past the first sorta boriong part which explains what AHK can do, it gets to the important stuff of how to install the program and put in your first script.
Nah. I think the bit explainig what AHK does is really important. Some people (me included) can take a bit of time getting the idea of how it works. The AHK website is very poor at giving an overview - it assumes you already know what a hotkey program is and how it works.

Clive
[fizzcat]

StevenJayCohen

Post by StevenJayCohen » January 19th, 2014, 6:45 am

http://www.stevenjaycohen.com/2014/01/19/punch-and-roll-editing-in-audacity-on-mac-osx/

Using your script as a starting point, I made a more complex script that both labels the edit points (to make reviewing easier), and gets as close to non-destructive edits as possible (by copying the old audio to a second -- muted -- track).

Let me know what you think!

And, thank you again for posting your script. It served as a great starting point for me :)

Since your scripting method works on Windows, and mine works on Mac OSX, all we need is a good Linux solution! Anyone up for helping me adapt it to linux?

sjmarky

Post by sjmarky » January 19th, 2014, 11:20 am

You can punch-and-roll record with Reaper on either Mac or PC. I switched to it about a year ago and love it. Does cost $60. It's actually better than Pro Tools or Logic in that you can hear the last few words prior to the punch point making for perfect edits. If you choose it, I have a complete set-up for audiobooks I can send.
"Bringing you yesterday's tomorrow...today!"

My website
My Librivox reader page

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia » January 19th, 2014, 11:58 am

StevenJayCohen wrote:Since your scripting method works on Windows, and mine works on Mac OSX, all we need is a good Linux solution! Anyone up for helping me adapt it to linux?
AutoKey is a program available in the Ubuntu Software Centre for just such a purpose. I use it for my punching and rolling script for Audacity.
Bev

"I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." - Popeye, the sailor man
"Everybody's got a mountain to climb" - Dickey Betts

StevenJayCohen

Post by StevenJayCohen » January 20th, 2014, 8:37 am

Darvinia wrote:AutoKey is a program available in the Ubuntu Software Centre for just such a purpose. I use it for my punching and rolling script for Audacity.
Excellent!

How do the shortcuts that you compiled for Linux compare to the original ones in this thread or the ones that I did in AppleScript?

RuthieG

Post by RuthieG » January 20th, 2014, 9:46 am

I have taken the liberty of amending the subject line of the top post to make it more descriptive of how this thread has developed.

Ruth
My LV catalogue page | RuthieG's CataBlog of recordings | Tweet: @RuthGolding

Darvinia
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Darvinia » January 20th, 2014, 1:32 pm

StevenJayCohen wrote:How do the shortcuts that you compiled for Linux compare to the original ones in this thread or the ones that I did in AppleScript?
They are very simple and similar to the original. I do like your idea of the second track to preserve the original takes and labelling. I'll amend mine along those lines and let you know how it goes.
Bev

"I yam what I yam, and that's all what I yam." - Popeye, the sailor man
"Everybody's got a mountain to climb" - Dickey Betts