COMPLETE The House in the Mist by A. K. Green - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

The House in the Mist by Anna Katharine Green (1846 - 1935) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page http://librivox.org/the-house-in-the-mist-by-anna-katharine-green/
It was a night to drive any man indoors. Not only was the darkness impenetrable, but the raw mist enveloping hill and valley made the open road anything but desirable to a belated wayfarer like myself.

Being young, untrammeled, and naturally indifferent to danger, I was not averse to adventure; and having my fortune to make, was always on the lookout for El Dorado, which, to ardent souls, lies ever beyond the next turning. Consequently, when I saw a light shimmering through the mist at my right, I resolved to make for it and the shelter it so opportunely offered.

But I did not realize then, as I do now, that shelter does not necessarily imply refuge, or I might not have undertaken this adventure with so light a heart. Yet, who knows? The impulses of an unfettered spirit lean toward daring, and youth, as I have said, seeks the strange, the unknown and, sometimes, the terrible. (Exerpt from Chapter I)
  • Target completion date: June 1st, 2012
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/35424
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project:
    fiction, mystery, romance

Keywords that describe the book:
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The House in the Mist . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Say:
      " The House in the Mist , by Anna Katharine Green . [Chapter]"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The House in the Mist by Anna Katharine Green . This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The House in the Mist , by Anna Katharine Green . "

There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    houseinthemist_##_green.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. houseinthemist_01_green.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: Anna Katharine Green
    Album: The House in the Mist

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

MaryAnn has kindly agreed to dpl this book as well :)

CK
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

chapter one part one is complete! i am moving this project to going solo, it is launched now and the launch pad is so full these days!

CK
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Hello - Here I am Carolin. Listening now to section 1 - but I got an incomplete download. I'll try again from the office Monday. (start listening at 11:40)

MaryAnn
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

chapter one part two is complete. here is the girl we were looking for :D

CK
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

chapter two is complete as well :D

CK
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

both parts of chapter three are in the magic window.

the amethyst box and the house in the mist were in the same book, and this book contains one more story. i will read it next, when im done with chapter four. it has only three sections, and again, i would be very happy to have you as my dpl there as well.

dont feel pressured though! :D

CK
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Carolin,

Well, I would love to listen, but I also don't want to hold you up. You are quite a speedy reader! If you don't mind, I will take it to finish off the book, and then take a break from AKG.

Maryann
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

no problem, ive really been rushing a bit through this one.. probably because i should be working on that paper i have due tomorrow :roll:

CK
Carolin
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

all done! please take your time with proof listening, maryann, i really zipped right through this one and i dont have time at the moment (the next days) to catalog it anyway :)
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Carolin,
I'm part way through and all is fine so far. Only Chapter 3 left to listen to.
MaryAnn
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

thanks so much maryann! take your time, chapter three is a little heavy :wink:
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

This weekend should see it finished. Since I've listened to chapter 4, I can tell that AKG has a lot of ground to cover in 3, and it sounds like grisly work!

Did you get that paper completed? :thumbs:

MaryAnn
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

yess, all submitted and now waiting for the grades. but these were only the midterms, i got that master thesis tugging at my sleeve now, but im well within the schedule with that as well :)

i hope you will enjoy chapter three in any case, it is quite sad and then of course ends with death, but i liked the story anyway. let me know what you think when youre done listening!
Carolin
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Carolin,

Ch 3 is pl ok. Greed is such an ugly sin. Great story and such a surprise turn.

Congrats on another excellent project!

MaryAnn