Post by fshort »

Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
fshort

Post by fshort »

URL: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_fs.mp3
Duration: 01:59

I put a space between van dyke so the first file I sent in was useless.
Florence Short
"...he not busy being born is busy dying."
Lyrics from Bob Dylan song
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello everybody,

Here's mine.

The file:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_um.mp3

Duration of the file: 2:06.85

Something is wrong with Magic Window. Reader's name doesn't appear.

Cheers,
Masa
LJAtkinson

Post by LJAtkinson »

Hi all,
This is my first Librivox recording. Please let me know if there are any settings I should change.

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_lja.mp3

Duration 1:50.

Thanks!
Laura Atkinson
loyaleagle

Post by loyaleagle »

Duration: 2:02

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_jr.mp3

Enjoyed this poem! That last stanza is a tough one to read, though!
Lucy_k_p

Post by Lucy_k_p »

Whoops, a space accidentally got left in the filename because van dyke is two separate words. I have fixed this in the first post and in the files of anybody who uploaded before then. Sorry about that.

melisa: Welcome to LibriVox Melisa!
To put you in the Magic Window I need to know what name you'd like for your catalogue name (this can be your forum name, your real name, or something else entirely) and if there is a URL you want associated with this. When you've let me know I'll put you in the Magic Window and you can click on your name there to see what sections you've signed up for and what you've completed.
Good reading, thank you. You have a nice, clear voice, spoke at a sensible pace and were easy to listen to. I look forward to hearing more from you.
There is DC Offset present in your recording. It's not known what causes this, but it can be fixed in Audacity by selecting your whole recording with Ctrl+A, going to Effect in the toolbar, clicking Normalize... and putting a tick ONLY in the box that says 'Remove any DC Offset.' Then press OK. I have done this for you this time, but you will need to do it for all of your future recordings. (Ideally before you do any other editing.)
All your other settings were correct. Your volume was acceptable but on the quiet side. Try turning up your input volume just a little bit, either for your system or in Audacity (Push the slider next to the picture of the microphone, at the top right, towards the right a bit.) I have amplified your recording to a better volume. (You could download it yourself, by right clicking the listen link in the Magic Window, to see what ‘acceptable’ is.)
For future reference please do not capitalise any of your filename – Archive.org (where our files end up) doesn't like it.
Good reading, thank you. You have a nice, clear voice, spoke at a sensible pace and were easy to listen to. I look forward to hearing more from you.

JohanLiebert: Nice reading, thank you.
Your title and artist ID3 tags were slightly incorrect (The v in can should not be capitalised and there should be a dash - between flower and read, and read should have a capital R) However these things can be fixed when cataloguing so you don't need to do anything.
Also have you applied noise-cleaning to your recording? There is a slight tinny-ness to the background that suggests you might have applied a little too much. The file is fine as it is, but consider using a little less in future.

Snapdragon: Good reading, thank you.
You did make one small slip, it's not essential that you fix it:
0:35 Said: The endless trains of German troops Went trolling down to Trier. Should be: The endless trains of German troops Went rolling down to Trier.
If you do want to fix this, could you eliminate the spaces from your filename at the same time please.

vblike: Welcome to LibriVox Denise! I've put you in the Magic Window and you can click on your name there to see what sections you've signed up for and what you've completed.
Great reading, thank you. Your settings are correct. Your voice is very pleasant and your reading was moving. You spoke clearly and at a good pace. I look forward to hearing your future contributions.
Your volume was acceptable but on the quiet side. Try turning up your input volume just a little bit, either for your system or in Audacity (Push the slider next to the picture of the microphone, at the top right, towards the right a bit.) I have amplified your recording to a better volume. (You could download it yourself, by right clicking the listen link in the Magic Window, to see what ‘acceptable’ is.)
Also you didn't include the ID3 tags. Details for what they should be are included in the first post of every project and in this case they were:
Artist Name: Henry van Dyke
Track Title: The Red Flower - Read by YOUR INITIALS
Album Title: LibriVox Weekly Poetry
You should be asked to fill them in when you export to mp3, but if you use Audacity you can also edit them by going to File in the toolbar and selecting Open Metadata Editor... from the menu.

Chris Caron: What aradlaw said. I usually try to guess where things will go based on past experience, regular contributors and how common it is for letters to begin a first name. But I often get it wrong. There are a surprisingly large number of J first initaled people contributing at the moment and I never manage to leave enough space for all of them and any Gs that turn up.
Good reading, thank you.
You did make two small slips, you don't have to fix it if you don't want to:
0:37 Said:  Was hardly seen through near. Should be: Was hardly seen though near.
1:49 Said:  In the range of the Will to Power. Should be: In the rage of the Will to Power.
If you do decide to fix them, could you fix your title ID3 tag (you have used the initial Y rather than CC) and shorten your end silence to 5 seconds at the same time please.

JemmaBlythe: Good reading, thank you.
Your end silence was a little short so I extended it for you. Also you seemed to have more background noise than usual. Did you forget to noise clean? I had a go with it:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_jbs_nc.mp3
Tell me what you think, and if it’s acceptable I’ll use this version in the final project.

Claire: Good reading, thank you.

ref: Good reading, thank you.

jannie: Excellent reading, thank you. Your voice sounds lovely.

LenXZ1: Good reading, thank you.

NoelBadrian: Good reading, thank you.

Vandermast: Great reading, thank you.

HarveySpurr: Nice reading, thank you.
Your beginning silence was too long. You should leave only between 0.5 – 1 second before you begin. I fixed this for you.
I also noticed you have a fair amount of background hiss. Audacity 1.3 has a very good noise cleaning tool and I had a go with it:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_hs_nc.mp3
Tell me what you think, and if it’s acceptable I’ll use this version in the final project.
If you’d like to have a go at noise cleaning yourself the wiki has a very good tutorial here.
I did notice a hum in the background for the first 26 seconds, which then faded away. If you can work out what you did that caused it and avoid it in future you'll probably be a lot happier. (Were you running another electrical device or did you place your mic close to your computer? Both of these things can cause feedback, which makes a hum.)

fshort: No problem. Good reading, thank you.
I did noticed you have a fair amount of background hiss. Audacity 1.3 has a very good noise cleaning tool and I had a go with it:
http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_fs_nc.mp3
If you’d like to have a go at noise cleaning yourself the wiki has a very good tutorial here.

ekzemplaro: It's alright, I started putting stuff in, but didn't get round to the names before I had to go to bed.
Nice reading, thank you. I think you've got the hang of the new mic as well.
By the way, I've just noticed, in your album ID3 tag you regularly misspell weekly as weeklly. It has only one l. Also the 'read' in 'read by' should have a capital R.

LJAtkinson: Welcome to LibriVox Laura! To put you in the Magic Window I need to know what name you'd like for your catalogue name (this can be your forum name, your real name, or something else entirely) and if there is a URL you want associated with this. When you've let me know I'll put you in the Magic Window and you can click on your name there to see what sections you've signed up for and what you've completed.
You exported your file at the wrong bit rate. You used 192 kbps and we require 128 kbps. To change this click File > Export. You'll see the "Export file" window appear. Click on Options. Click on the Drop Down box by Quality and choose 128 kbps. You only need to change it once and all your future recordings will be fine. I have fixed this particular recording for you, so you don't need to worry about this project, but you could post a new file in Listeners Wanted to check you've changed your settings correctly.
Your volume was acceptable but on the quiet side. Try turning up your input volume just a little bit, either for your system or in Audacity (Push the slider next to the picture of the microphone, at the top right, towards the right a bit.) I have amplified your recording to a better volume. (You could download it yourself, by right clicking the listen link in the Magic Window, to see what ‘acceptable’ is.)
I did notice a few ‘plosives in your recording. This is where your breath hits the mic and makes a spike in the recording. Try moving your microphone so it is not directly in line with your mouth.
Otherwise your recording was fine. Good pace, you have a pleasant voice and your reading was good, thank you. I look forward to hearing more from you.

loyaleagle: Good reading, thank you.

I thought all of your readings were very moving.
So little space, so much to say.
ekzemplaro

Post by ekzemplaro »

Hello Lucy san,
Thank you very much for your notifice. Without this I make the same mistake next week.
Let me explain why.
I use Audacity on Ubuntu 11.10 32 bit. This software gives ID3-2.4. But LibriVox accepts
only ID3-2.3. So I prepared a script as follows. (Errors are already fixed.)
This script adds ID3-2.3 tag.

FILE_MP3=redflower_vandyke_um.mp3
id3v2 -a "Henry van Dyke" \
-t "The Red Flower - Read by UM" \
-A "LibriVox Weekly Poetry" \
$FILE_MP3

I edit the file name, author & poetry name. I don't change other items.
I hope this script helps Linux readers.

Cheers,
Masa
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Snapdragon »

You did make one small slip, it's not essential that you fix it:
0:35 Said: The endless trains of German troops Went trolling down to Trier. Should be: The endless trains of German troops Went rolling down to Trier.
If you do want to fix this, could you eliminate the spaces from your filename at the same time please.
Here is the recording with the 't' removed from "trolling".

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_van dyke_gc.mp3

I checked the file name and did not see the spaces. Will gladly fix. Could you be more specific for me?
Thanks!
Snapdragon

Remember those who served!
http://www.dogtaghistory.com
rhoffman

Post by rhoffman »

Is it too late to read this poem for the week?

Thanks, Robert Hoffman
aradlaw
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by aradlaw »

No it isn't Robert, please do submit a reading.
David Lawrence

* Weekly & Fortnightly Poetry - Check out the Short Works forum for the latest projects!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Here's Ernst's reading:

http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_eep.mp3
2:16

Uploaded by Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by miketheauctioneer »

A nice break from my real job this month, recording Tom Swift and his… There are 26 volumes in this series and I am now starting book 11 which I will have completed in three days. All of these books are four hours long plus or minus a couple of minutes. http://www.audible.com/series/ref=sr_1_4_sa/?asin=B007BIT4ME

Anyhow, here it is: http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_mv.mp3 2:11
Mike Vendetti
Audio Book Publisher, Auctioneer, Narrator
http://www.mikevendetti.com
Florence, CO USA
ravenotation

Post by ravenotation »

Greetings to both, Lucy and David
@ 2m 17s, http://upload.librivox.org/share/uploads/dl/redflower_vandyke_rn.mp3
Dear Stav - Thank you for suggesting this weeks poem.
ttfn,
raven
Jendia

Post by Jendia »