COMPLETEThe Colored Patriots of the American Revolution - ck

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
progressingamerica

Post by progressingamerica »

The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution by William Cooper Nell (December 16, 1816 - May 25, 1874)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on the catalog page for this project: https://librivox.org/the-colored-patriots-of-the-american-revolution-by-william-cooper-nell/
A study of the black patriots of the American Revolution, with introductions by Harriet Beecher Stowe and Wendell Phillips.
  • Target completion date: 2015-Jan-01
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://books.google.com/books?id=Jy8OAAAAIAAJ
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project:
    history

Keywords that describe the book:
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!

Start of recording (Intro)
    • "Chapter [number] of The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution . - This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by the progressingamerica project"
    • Say:
      " The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution , by William Cooper Nell . [Chapter] **"
    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution by William Cooper Nell . Translated by N/A This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    End of recording
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution , by William Cooper Nell ."
    There should be 5 seconds silence at the end of the recording, or 10 seconds for files longer than 30 minutes.
  • Example filename
    coloredpatriots1776_##_nell.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is your section number. (e.g. coloredpatriots_01_nell.mp3)
  • Example ID3 V2 tags
    Title: ## - [Section title]
    Artist: William Cooper Nell
    Album: The Colored Patriots of the American Revolution

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: ck - Carolin
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by progressingamerica on September 20th, 2012, 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

i can mc this for you. ill get you a magic window right away :)

CK
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

alright, your magic window is up and running.

i tweaked your file name to make it a little shorter, i think "coloredpatriots_xx_nell.mp3 will be enough.

please let me know if you need anything!

CK :)
progressingamerica

progressingamerica

A few notes as to how I would like to do this:

The first chapter is just over 100 pages long. That would be one crazy audio file. In looking at the contents page for page 1, I tried splitting this up in a reasonable way among what's listed:
Chapter I. Massachusetts. Crispus Attucks-Colored Americans on Bunker Hill-Seymour Burr-Jeremy Jonah-A Brave Colored Artillerist-Governor Hancock's Flag-Big Dick-Primus Hall-James and Hosea Easton-Job Lewis-Jack Grove-Bosson Wright-Colonial Reminiscences-Mum Bett-Phillis Wheatley-Paul Cuffe-Marshpee Indians-Action of the Constitutional Convention in regard to Colored Citizens-Facts indicating improvement
Some of these are placed together as a run-on type paragraphs in the text, but their divisions are clear enough based on the contents and contexts. So here is how I would like to split this up:

Colored Americans on Bunker Hill - P. 20
Primus Hall - P. 29
Hosea Easton - P 34
Colonial Reminiscences - P. 37
Mum Bett - P. 52
Phillis Wheatley - P. 64
Paul Cuffe - P. 73
Marshpee Indians - P 94
Constitutional Convention in regard to Colored Citizens - P. 101

9 segments for Chapter 1.

Likewise, following chapter 18 is the section titled "Condition and Prospects of Colored Americans" which is divided up with it's own chapters, 1, 2, and 3. I'll read this as chapter 19, and say 'section' 1, 2, 3 instead of the internal 'chapter' numbers to eliminate any confusion that could come from this.

And finally, on page 11 there are listed some Errata. I would like to integrate the corrections into the reading instead of having them listed separately. This is easier to deal with when reading a book, but you can't follow page numbers in an audiobook.

This will come out really good when I'm done. :thumbs:
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

sounds great!

the only thing id like to comment on is your title tag -- i see in the introduction the section number is misisng, we request you to add a 01 there. it should be "01 - Introduction by Wendell Phillips". there is a simple reason for this, which is that if the section number is included in the tags, a media player will sort them in the right order if it sorts them alphabetically :)

we should advertise for a proof listener now that a section is ready. will you do that or would you like me to do that for you?

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good evening--

I am a new member of LibriVox (although have browsed and used the site for some time). I will be submitting a recording test in the next couple of days when my new mic arrives.

But in the meantime, I would truly enjoy being the DPL for this project if agreeable to all--sounds like a wonderful listen!!

Thanks,
Lucretia B.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

that would be great, lucretia. proof listening is a great way to learn the ways of librivox and familiarize yourself with everything.

our dpls are credited in the catalog as well as readers. under what name would you like to appear on the page of the book once it is finished? this can be your name or a pseudonym. we can also link to a personal website or blog, but the link will not show when you are credited as a dpl, only when you are a reader.

as soon as i know under which name to sign you up, i can get you access to the magic window :)

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi, CK--

I would like my name to appear in the catalog as: Lucretia B.

I am looking forward to working with you--may be asking some questions, but will try not to be a pest! I have watched Phil Chenevert's videos (invaluable, by the way), have downloaded MP3Gain and the Checker program, and have read the Listener's FAQ's. So I am very excited to be joining this worthy endeavor.

Thanks again,
Lucretia B.
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

alright lucretia, please check your inbox, i sent you your user name and password for the magic window. please let me know if it works or not :)

ill sign you up now officially as dpl and move us over to going solo!

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

O.K. then--I tried to access the MW with the password provided, and it worked just fine. I will check out the link on "BC's and updating the MW" (thank you for pointing me to that information!) and then will be ready to jump in.

I really do appreciate your help...

Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

glad to help, feel free to ask whenever you run into a problem!

CK :D
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Hi to progressingamerica!

Your reading was outstanding for the Introduction--a pleasure to listen to it, for sure. :D

The only thing that I can see that should be corrected is the ID3 Tag for the Track Title. I believe that it should show the Section number as in: 01 - Introduction by Wendell Phillips

I see that you are just barely beginning to get things set up in the MW--so it is understandable. I may have leaped in a little quickly? (I think that Carolin had mentioned the same thing about adding the section number in the titles for the MW--?)

At any rate, I will check back for a corrected ID3 Tag on your recording--and then give it a clean bill of health!

I'm certainly looking forward to hearing your next chapters--and if there is anything that I can do to assist you as you proceed, do let me know.

Best,
Lucretia
Kind regards,
Lucretia
Carolin

Post by Carolin »

hey lucretia,

the id3 tags are really the smallest problem. i can fix them easily when i catalog the book, so when you notice that something is wrong, please post it, but there is no need to upload a new file with corrected tags if that is the only thing that needs to be fixed (we have limited space on the server) :)

i think therefore, you can go ahead and mark the section pl ok :thumbs:

CK
lubee930

Post by lubee930 »

Good morning, CK--

I was under the (mistaken) impression that the PL'ers should catch those things so that the MC's didn't have to spend their time correcting section after section. But clearly server space is the more important issue. Sorry about that--! :oops: Good information to know.

I will change the MW to reflect PL OK and watch for the next completed chapter. Thanks again for your guidance.

Best, Lucretia
Kind regards,
Lucretia