COMPLETE: Manfred by Lord Byron- alg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

Manfred by Lord Byron (1788 - 1824) .

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: http://librivox.org/manfred-by-george-gordon-lord-byron/

Manfred is a dramatic poem in three acts by Lord Byron, and possibly a self confessional work. A noble, Manfred, is haunted by the memory of some unspeakable crime. In seeking for forgetfulness and oblivion, he wanders between his castle and the mountains. He has several encounters with the people who try to assist him, as well as spirits that rule nature and human destiny. The poem explores themes of morality, religion, guilt and the human condition. (Summary by TimSC)
  1. Is there a deadline?
    We ask that you submit your recorded sections within 1-2 months of placing your claim (or by the target completion date, whatever is sooner). Please note that to be fair to the readers who have completed their sections in a timely way, if you haven't submitted your recording(s) after two months, your sections will automatically be re-opened for other readers to claim, unless you post in this thread to request an extension. Extensions will be granted at the discretion of the Book Coordinator. If you cannot do your section, for whatever reason, just let me know and it'll go back to the pool. There's no shame in this; we're all volunteers and things happen. The target completion date for this project is 2012-Sep-01 .
  2. How to claim a part, and 'how it all works' here

To find a role to record, simply look at point 5. below at the sections. All the ones without names beside them need a reader to be assigned. Because of the large number of small parts, please check the description of the roles and find one that is appropriate. Click "Post reply" at the top left of the screen and tell us which role you'd like to read. The BC will check the casting is suitable. Read points 6. to 8. below for what to do before, during and after your recording.

Description of Characters

Manfred, a count (or lord), highly capable, seeks to escape his past, feels guilt for an unspeakable crime, "Half dust, half deity", a "bird of prey", "a man of many thoughts", younger than middle aged, but an old soul, loved Astarte "as we should not love" (incest?), responsible for Astarte's death, like a Lion alone, "yet so young" (760 lines)

First spirit, an air or star spirit, female? (66 lines)
    Second spirit, a mountain spirit, female (42 lines)
    Third Spirit, an oceanic spirit, female (38 lines)
    Fourth spirit, an earth spirit, female (37 lines)
    Fifth Spirit, a wind spirit, female (37 lines)
    Sixth Spirit, a night spirit, female (6 lines)
    Seventh Spirit, a spirit of fate, beautiful female, (connected to Astarte?) (27 lines)
    Spirit, this could be the "first spirit" (18 lines)
    Another spirit, this could be the "second spirit" (24 lines)
    First Destiny, female, spirit over living things, understands Manfred (69 lines)
    Second Destiny, female, spirit over living things (8 lines)
    Third Destiny, female, spirit over living things (7 lines)
    Nemesis, female, spirit over living things (52 lines)
    Arimanes, lord of spirits, Prince of Earth and Air, male (2 lines)

A voice, foretells Manfred's fate, possibly Manfred's conscience? (70 lines)
    A Voice without, this could be "a voice"? (10 lines)
    Second voice without (8 lines)

Chamois Hunter, "a peasant of the Alps", skilled hunter, a "harmless villager", rarely leaves the mountains, a "brute of burden", far older than Manfred (75 lines)

Witch of the Alps, spirit of a waterfall, has a "celestial aspect", "Daughter of Air" (28 lines)

Abbot Of St. Maurice, has "Age and zeal, my office, And good intent", concerned for Manfred's soul, an "Old man" (123 lines)

Herman, servant of Manfred, cautious but loyal (35 lines)
    Manuel, "elderly and wise", served Manfred's father (31 lines)

Phantom of Astarte, female, loved "as we should not love" and heart broken by Manfred, similar to Manfred but "temper'd into beauty", Manfred responsible for Astarte's death (6 lines)

Narrator Script
  3. New to recording?

Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!
  4. Where do I find the text? Source text (please only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/20158
  5. Please claim roles (the numbers in the first column below)! Please note: All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. When you submit your recording, you will be placing your recording in the public domain as well.

If this is your first recording, please let me know under which name or pseudonym you'd like to appear in the LibriVox catalogue. We can also link to a personal website/blog.

Please don't download files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =================================

Genres for the project:
    horror-ghost-stories, literature, poetry

Keywords that describe the book:
    dramatic poem gothic spirit alps faust faustian guilt supernatural romantic
  6. BEFORE recording: Please check the Recording Notes: http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6427#6430

Set your recording software to:
    Channels: 1 (Mono)
    Bit Rate: 128 kbps
    Sample Rate: 44.1 kHz

Submit one file per act.
  7. Make sure you add this to the beginning of your recording:
    [Role], read by [your name].

If you are reading stage directions, please include for each file:
    At the beginning: Act [#] of Manfred, by Lord Byron . This is a Librivox recording. All Librivox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit Librivox dot org.

At the end: End of Act [#]. At the end of the play, add End of Manfred, by Lord Byron .

Please remember to check this thread frequently for updates!
  8. AFTER recording:
    Save files as 128 kbps MP3 Manfred_[role]_[#].mp3 (all lower-case), where # is the act number.
    ID3 V2 tags: Not needed for individual parts.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file.
    Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader:
      http://upload.librivox.org
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg - alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
[/list]

Any questions? Please post below or PM me.
Last edited by TimSC on April 11th, 2012, 4:49 am, edited 5 times in total.
wildemoose

Post by wildemoose »

Unfortunately I don't have time to MC this right now...but Tim, I noticed a slight error in your template. This:
Number of sections (roles) this project will have: 3
needs to be the number of roles in the project so you can sign up readers. From the looks of your cast breakdown you'll need considerably more than 3 readers.
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

Well spotted! I have updated the number of roles to 25.

TimSC
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Tim,

I will MC this for you. Were you planning on prooflistening it yourself? I added the ~ to the title to advertise for a prooflistener. If you are going to do it then just delete that.

Also, may I have the role of Nemesis?

Best of Luck!

-Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

Hi all,

After much thought, I'll read Manfred. I have slightly mixed feelings but hopefully I do it justice and do not put out others who might have read it. Given that, it would be good for someone else to be dedicated PL.

Amy, it would be great for you to read Nemesis. I accidentally assigned you to read Arimanes in the magic window. How do I undo that?

I have been trying to think about some guidelines that will make the final result consistent. Some of these are creative choices and some are simply to make editing easier.
  • Some sections have stage direction for singing, but the poem will be spoken instead.
  • I think we will skip the introduction. It is mostly about the events and critical reaction surrounding the poem but don't give much insight IMHO.
  • I might add sound effects and room acoustics, if it sounds acceptable. It would be helpful if people minimise echo and background noise (but I have realistic expectations here, studio quality is not needed but avoid recording in the shower).
  • I would add music if I can find a PD source. There are famous musical adaptations by Schumann and Tchaikovsky but we need to find an appropriate recording.
  • There are chorus sections for first, second, third, etc spirits. Someone will need to establish a baseline recording, so others can read at that speed. I can do this if needed, or the first spirit that completes their section.
  • There are a few situations where we can cast one person for two roles: Seventh Spirit and Phantom of Astarte
  • Multi role: Manuel and Chamois Hunter
  • Multi role: Some of the spirits and fates might be appropriate
  • Multi role: Arimanes (it's so short people might not notice)
  • I don't quite know how the narrator will announce the parts and how often the audience needs reminding but there are not many places when a character is away for a long time.
I will add to the above this if anything occurs to me.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Tim,

I am glad you decided to be Manfred! That is the best decision.

To clear me out of Arimenes, sort the MW by reader and you can delete the section from my assignment.

To have multiple role assignments, you can put the roles together in the section details. You could look at how Faust II is set up. It has a lot of multiple roles.
The Internet Archive may be a good place to find PD music. And it is definitely a good idea to establish a baseline for the chorus parts. They can be problematic. I hope it will all go smoothly. You are definitely putting a lot of thought into it. It is a great project.

Thanks!
-Amy :D
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
gloriana

Post by gloriana »

Wow, I haven't read this in years - not since my undergrad Romantics class! May I read the First Spirit, please?
TimSC

Post by TimSC »

Elizabeth, that part is yours!

I might leave the parts as they are and say they are optionally combined. I am trying to encourage people do use this option, but it would be better if we have enough readers to cover them all individual.

TimSC
Kristingj

Post by Kristingj »

Hi, I'd like to give the fourth spirit a shot:)
Kristin

The Count of Monte Cristo (Dramatic reading) - PL and Editors needed!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Could I read the role of the Abbot?

Two good online sources of public domain music are the following:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Sound/list
http://musopen.org/music

The following site has a large catalogue of music, but most of it is issued under a Creative Commons Share Alike licence rather than public domain:
http://www.liberliber.it/musica/index.php

Cheers

Algy Pug
Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by TimSC »

Those parts have been assigned. Thanks for getting involved!

TimSC
Snapdragon

Post by Snapdragon »

I'd be willing to be the second spirit.
Thanks!
Snapdragon

Remember those who served!
http://www.dogtaghistory.com
ref

Post by ref »

Tim - I'd like to read First Destiny, please!
Algy Pug

Post by Algy Pug »

Algy Pug

My Librivox page

Post by Great Plains »

I would like to read a part. Please sign me up for whichever male part is currently needed. :thumbs:
Daniel, the Cylon
([url=http://librivox.org/newcatalog/people_public.php?peopleid=2136]LV Profile[/url])